survived my first race

Options
zornig
zornig Posts: 336 Member
Yesterday I ran the Gasparilla 15K here in Tampa. I won't lie: it was challenging. Even though I've been running practically that whole distance (on the same route even) in my training runs, the humidity yesterday was very high and I just wasn't prepared for it. Despite not making my pace goal, I completed, and that what really counts. Although I saw one man running with a shirt on yesterday that said: "The miracle isn't that I finished, it's that I had the courage to start." So maybe the important thing is really that I trained and showed up. Regardless, thanks to everybody here for their training advice (which I mostly just consumed in the background). It really helps to read what those of you who are more experienced have to say about training and racing.

Replies

• beeblebrox82
    beeblebrox82 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    congrats! First of many I hope.
  • LisaO85
    LisaO85 Posts: 152
    Options
    Congrats on the race.

If this was your first race at that distance you should be very proud of finshing and don't worry about pace.

Humidity can trip up even the best runners.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    Well done!

Humidity is the bane of runner's existence. I'd rather run in 95°F and dry than 72°F and humid.
  • ATT949
    ATT949 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the first race! You should be very proud of what you've accomplished.

Humidity can be brutal for runners but you still finished. Well done. <insert emoticon for two thumbs up>
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Yep, humidity is the worst. And half the battle is all the preparation and showing up. Good job!
  • UrbanRunner81
    UrbanRunner81 Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    Well done!

Humidity is the bane of runner's existence. I'd rather run in 95°F and dry than 72°F and humid.

^^^ that's how I feel.

But congrats on your race! You made it and you finished!
  • zornig
    zornig Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the race.

If this was your first race at that distance you should be very proud of finshing and don't worry about pace.

Humidity can trip up even the best runners.

It was actually my first race at *any* distance! So much for easing in... :)
  • Abakan
    Abakan Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Wow that was quiet a first race, well done you for starting and finishing in such horrible conditions.
  • valentine4
    valentine4 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! I bet you are still on a buzz, roll on race no. 2...:)
  • fleetzz
    fleetzz Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! I too hate running when humid, but I live in Florida so most of the time it is humid.
  • RunConquerCelebrate
    Options
    Congratulations on surviving your first race
  • mjpTennis
    mjpTennis Posts: 6,165 Member
    Options
    Great job and congrats. Hoping the humidity stays away from all of my races this year.