Fresh and Frozen Vegetables Vitamin retention*

Options
newday1981
newday1981 Posts: 41 Member
Frozen vegetables usually have the same vitamin content as fresh produce because they are frozen within a few hours of being picked. Most frozen foods stored at 0 degrees will retain their nutrients and stay fresh tasting for up to 12 months.

When cooking your vegetables frozen or fresh know that heat destroys a portion of some vitamins; vitamin C is the most vulnerable. To minimize vitamin loss, cook vegetables and fruits quickly, the less they are exposed to heat the better. Vegetables cooked until tender and crisp retain more vitamins than those cooked until soft. When boiled the vegetables lose a lot of their vitamins in the cooking water. When boiling you can also save the cooking water to add to soups or broths. For maximum vitamin retention try steaming or microwaving vegetables.. Remember the quicker they cook the better!

Replies

• nenshali
    nenshali Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    tumblr_mq2f5iumFe1rlzvmho1_500.jpg
  • newday1981
    newday1981 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Thanks Nenshali for the VEGGIE COOKING CHEAT SHEET!
  • nenshali
    nenshali Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I thank YOU! I totally forgot about this sheet, I had it saved somewhere but never used it. I'll try to put some more focus on HOW to prepare the veggies from now on! :flowerforyou: