Sports

Options
As we are so heavy at this moment so we can't do all the thing the same as fit people, because it can negatively affect our health.

So what kind of sports you will do to weight less? Let's share here our sport activities.
Maybe you can imagine some sport challenges which can do obese people and will not harm us?
Have you consulted with doctors about physical activities which are harmless for you?

Replies

• AlessiaEvelia
    Options
    I have elliptical machine so maybe i can start walking on it for about 15-20 minutes per day in the beggining, because I haven't done any physical activities in months.
    First thing i can image for people like us is walking challenge, it seems very harmless, but im not a doctor.
    No I haven't consulted with any doctors, because I'm very ashamed of my weight, because it isn't normal for my age nor any other ages. I don't have this weight from any illness nor pregnancy, just from my laziness and love for food.

Maybe someone can suggest any workout DVD which are suitable for us?
  • rdec873
    rdec873 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    :smile: If you have access to a gym or a stationary bicycle, you can burn over double the amount of calories as walking. Cycling is very low impact and you do not need to have your feet moving at a fast pace to be effective. Just having them move is enough. It is best to do it first thing in the morning before you eat. You will start seeing change within the first two weeks.
  • AlessiaEvelia
    Options
    I'm ashamed to go to the gym, because mostly in my country there go very fit people. Why it's best thing to cycle in the morning before breakfast?

I have read in some pages that breakfast is very important and actually you won't lose weight in a long term if you work out with empty stomach. Maybe you will lose some weight at the beginning, but then your body will be stressed out and will not lose as much if you had eaten normal breakfast. In few words- it's a myth that if you work out in the morning when stomach is empty and you will lose fat reserves. I don't how percent of its true, but i will try to find that site.
  • rdec873
    Options
    Because cycling is low impact, it targets the energy stored as fat first. Cycling also balances your inslulin leves and boosts your metabolism. As long as you eat a healthy balanced meal after your exercise, your metabolism will still be elevated and burning calories. You are correct, breakfast is very important and arguably the most important meal of the day. I guess in the end it depends on the person, but ever since I started with this approach, I have been feeling really good. I drink a ton of water all day though.
  • FABRICWOMAN
    FABRICWOMAN Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    Hello Alessia: This sounds like a group I can relate to. My starting weight was 320 in January. I am now down to 291.5. All with the help of MFP members. I long for the day I will be under 200 lbs. I can't even remember the last time that was. Anyway, I do water aerobics at our local YMCA. A half hour of walking in the pool and then 45 minutes of aerobic water exercises every Tuesday and Thursday. Like you I am too embarrassed to go to the gym with the fit and beautiful people. The water soothes and the resistance is actually more than when on land. I am going to try the once a month water zumba class that is being offered at our high school pool every 1st Sunday. I highly recommend water walking/aerobics. It does not put stress the joints. I wish you luck. We all know it is a combination of diet and exercise that will help us reach our weight loss goals.
  • TodayOrTomorrow
    TodayOrTomorrow Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi all :)

i'm currently sitting at 239lbs, down form ~249lbs a couple of weeks ago; i've been cycling/epileptical at the gym, and badminton once a week with my dad, sister and partner; because we're playing doubles, it's not as intense, and we're not very competitive as yet.

I've also found that swimming is good; you can take it at whatever pace you feel is good for you
  • AlessiaEvelia
    Options
    How long (minutes, hours) do you all cycle, swim, walk on elliptical machine and do other physical activities?
  • TodayOrTomorrow
    TodayOrTomorrow Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    How long (minutes, hours) do you all cycle, swim, walk on elliptical machine and do other physical activities?

for me, it depends how i'm feeling, but I usually aim for an hour to an hour and a half per exercise day (currently 3 a week)
  • 40andFindingFitness
    Options
    Never be ashamed to go to the gym. I started going at my heaviest point and I got looks that were more of, "Wow, good job," than "What is she doing here?" Of course you don't need to go to the gym to lose weight so as long as you are active you're headed in the right direction.
  • flowrgal23
    flowrgal23 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Hi all, I'm a 56 year old woman, 5' 9" tall and currently weigh anywhere from 202 to 208 pounds. My highest weight was 242 in December 2011.

I weighed 148 pounds when I married at age 20 (and sadly, I was ashamed of myself then.) I hit 200 when I was pregnant with my first child though my after pregnancy weight was around 170. I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism at age 32 after the birth of my second child and a severe post-partum depression. My health took a downturn then along with my metabolism, and I found my weight range was now around 210 no matter what I did. I was told since I was being treated for the thyroid problem, I couldn't blame my weight on my health alone. I was put on antidepressants, beta blockers, statins, and high blood pressure meds for the next twenty years, and looking back, I shudder. It was a nightmare. I'd been treated for the thyroid disease, but it turns out I'd been under-medicated for a long time which didn't help my situation at all.

Since I can't afford a gym, I borrowed some DVD workouts from our local library a few times. The ones I selected were far too intense and I found myself gasping for air and finally gave up. The next day I was so sore I could barely walk which isn't exactly motivating and added to my already over-the top-negative self-talk. I felt like such a failure.

New Year's Eve 2011, after realizing I weighed my highest ever, I accidentally found Leslie Sansone. We were renting a movie at a video store and I happened to see her face smiling from a DVD cover. The workout videos were free with a movie rental, so I thought, why not? I guess it won't hurt to try. What have I got to lose?

I was surprised at how effective simply walking in place in front of my TV was. The first mile was actually kind of hard and I was feeling badly about my lack of fitness, but Leslie is so encouraging that I found myself looking forward to our next walk. I wasn't sure if 'just walking' was going to help with my weight problem, but I decided to give it a go anyway. I hadn't been able to stick with the much harder workouts in the past, but something about Leslie's personality and her 'you can do this' pep talks kept me coming back six days a week. I stepped on the scale the second week and was surprised to find my weight had dropped one pound. Sure, it's not a lot, but it was enough to keep me going.

Over the next eight months I had lost forty pounds and bought my own library of Leslie's videos. Fast forward to two years later and I still walk with Leslie. I haven't been able to budge any more weight, but I know the walking videos definitely don't harm me. At least I've been able to maintain, and I see that as a blessing in itself.

At the same time as the walking videos, my habits changed, I started calorie counting, weighing and measuring my food, and I was surprised at how much I had been eating in the past. I didn't give up everything, since I knew total deprivation wouldn't work, but I became mindful of my intake.

I also tried other videos as I've gone along; Debra Mazda is very good, and she stresses we can be 'fit and fabulous' at any stage. I've also tried some kettlebell style workouts, too, Gin Miller is amazing....I'm still trying to keep up with her. In 2013, I bought the 'New Rules of Lifting for Women' book and worked my way through the stages. It's an amazing program, and I found my measurements have gone down, but not the scale, sadly. I wear a Size 14/16 yet, depending on the cut, which is down from a Size 18/20.

My thyroid and health faltered again in August 2013, and I wasn't able to do any lifting or strenuous exercise except for Leslie until I finally found a new doctor last fall. The new doctor has been working with me to stabilize my thyroid levels. I am off all of the other medications and as of February 1, I am back to the second round of NROLFW. I think strength training will be the key to entering my old age as gracefully as possible.

I also joined a free exercise class at our church twice a week and since it's winter, I cross-country ski every day for at least an hour. On average, I exercise about two hours a day, and strength train twice a week.

The 'charts' say my healthy weight would be 150. Well, I don't know if I'll get there or not, but I'd settle for 170 for now. What I truly need is to reset my mind. I get very down on myself and become my own worst enemy; the negative self-talk has Got to Go! No more Fat Talk. Putting myself down hasn't helped one bit. I'm trying to celebrate the health I am blessed to have and we'll see where this journey takes me. Who knows, one day I might see 199 on the scale, right? But if I don't, I'm still blessed to be alive.
  • rdec873
    Options

Even 20 minutes of exercise 3 times a week is a fantastic start.