Wheat research - food for thought

Options
I came across this today, and thought it may be if interest for those who are not Celiac, but avoid wheat for other reasons.

"... a study published this month in the British Journal of Nutrition has put Davis’ theory to the test, by giving twenty sufferers of irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) either modern wheat products (bread, pasta, biscuits and crackers etc) or identical products made from an ancient variety. The results were clear-cut: whilst on the modern wheat diet no improvement in symptoms occurred, but participants on the ancient-wheat diet experienced a very significant decrease in symptoms, including less abdominal pain, distension, bloating, tiredness and improved quality of life. Also, at the end of the ancient wheat diet, but not the modern wheat diet, multiple markers of inflammation were reduced, including vascular endothelial growth factor – implicated in cancer, rheumatoid arthritis and diabetic retinopathy."

http://rosemarycottageclinic.wordpress.com/2014/02/16/new-study-vindicates-william-davis-modern-wheat-is-more-toxic-than-ancient-varieties/

Replies

• shimmygirl411
    shimmygirl411 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Interesting....
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Very interesting! I know for myself (no celiac, no *diagnosed* IBS) that standard wheat causes bloating, cramping and constipation (and allergies). I know that I can eat spelt, and sprouted grains to some extent.

I saw einkorn past at the Food Coop and considered trying it.

Interesting. Thanks.
  • SimplyMicheleR
    SimplyMicheleR Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I have fibro....I am going to go GF at some point, just haven't taken the plunge yet. Mostly because I buy wheat containing food for my son, then he decides 2 weeks later to tell me that he will not eat it, and I am too poor to let it go to waste, so I end up eating it.....
  • Gosser
    Gosser Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I can vouch for that.
    I'm wheat intolerant but I can eat durum and rye without reacting.
    I haven't tried spelt flour yet as I can't have yeast so bread as a test is out.

Those are the only three that I'm aware of that are considered to be ancient wheats.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    I have fibro....I am going to go GF at some point, just haven't taken the plunge yet. Mostly because I buy wheat containing food for my son, then he decides 2 weeks later to tell me that he will not eat it, and I am too poor to let it go to waste, so I end up eating it.....

I feel your pain, literally. I also have been diagnosed with fibromyalgia for the past 4 years but previous to that, I was wheat free for a couple of years. It helped some with IBS and other immune system reactions but I did not have real results until I went completely Gluten free. This is serious business as many products you would not think contain gluten, have added gluten in for texture & cheap protein. Although I technically do not have Celiac Disease, I do have serious systemic reactions to gluten including asthma requiring Ventolin when I ingest even a tiny bit, skin breakouts, the usual IBS extreme bloating and pain and diarrhea, joint pain and swelling for days afterward, etc.
    My MD & rheumatologist suggested going GF and not just wheat free. That means no rye, barley, spelt, emmer, or triticale. I can only eat GF-certified clean oats that are not grown in crop rotation with wheat or processed in a factory that has ever processed wheat products.

It has made a huge difference in my sleep patterns, my energy levels, and my pain. I'd never go back for all the money in the world. I do not eat a lot of substitute foods so this eases the cost burden - I use 1 loaf of GF bread a month for instance - and I eat mostly whole GF grains/seeds, fresh fruits & veg, and meats, fish, tofu, eggs, beans, and nuts. Because this type of diet has helped my Fibro, I am not on any medications for it, which also saves money although I do take supplements like a MultiVitamin, and extra calcium, magnesium, and D.

As for your son perhaps you can try just making the same meals for the both of you and maybe he will find improved health too. Quite often these immune problems have a genetic tie-in so he may be experiencing symptoms and that is why he does not want the wheat products after a couple of weeks... It's worth trying out.

Good luck with your health journey. :flowerforyou:
  • SimplyMicheleR
    SimplyMicheleR Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I know my son has tested sensitive to wheat and a few others (I have not been tested) but refuses, in full teen style to give them up. I limit what comes in to the house though.... But I need to mentally get in a space to make the plunge. Not there yet.
    s that we
    My husband is REALLY sensitive even to cross contamination. He has been glutened 2x in the last few months at restaurants that have always been safe, and are GIG certified. Go figure. All it takes for him is some floating wheat flour to have a reaction.
  • canadjineh
    Options
    I came across an interview on the Neurology forum in Medscape (legit Health professionals' Continuing Education site) that you all might find interesting:
    "Dementia: Is Gluten the Culprit?"
    copy & paste link - http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/819232_2

Liana
  • canadjineh
    Options
    New info coming out at the Digestive Disease Week 2014 meetings this week (quote on Medscape from Dr David Johnson, Professor of Medicine, Chief of Gastroenterology at Eastern Virginia Medical School in Norfolk, Virginia). Lectures from American Gastroenterological Association and the American Society for Gastrointestinal Endoscopy:

quote: "Then we get into the whole area of irritable bowel syndrome, microflora, dietary manipulations, and the FODMAP diet. A double-blind, randomized controlled trial[6] on a low-FODMAP diet compared with a gluten-free diet is going to be presented. It will be followed by Lin Chang's summary[7] of where we are with these dietary manipulations.

The next topic really caught my attention because it is a specific area of interest for me. This is a human gut microbial cluster analysis looking at potential brain-gut signatures.[8] They actually found a microflora cluster that they could identify with a brain-gut signature. This pilot study is very provocative. There is antigen processing in the gut. It is the largest immunologic processing system in our body, and changes in the microflora may have profound influences on disease." unquote

** 6.Piacentino D, Rossi S, Alvino V, et al. Effects of Low-FODMAP and gluten-free diets in irritable bowel syndrome patients. a double-blind randomized controlled clinical study. Program and abstracts of Digestive Disease Week; May 3-6, 2014; Chicago, Illinois. Abstract 374.

** 7.Chang L. IBS and FODMAP. Program and abstracts of Digestive Disease Week; May 3-6, 2014; Chicago, Illinois. Abstract Sp463.

** 8.Labus JS, Mayer EA, Derrien M, et al. Human gut microbial clusters correlate with anatomical brain signatures: a pilot study. Program and abstracts of Digestive Disease Week; May 3-6, 2014; Chicago, Illinois. Abstract 375.

quote: "The last presentation that really caught my eye is a multicenter trial.[18] This is a new first-in-class drug, larazotide acetate, which is an oral peptide that regulates tight junctions. A patient with celiac disease might have some real advantage. As you know, celiac disease is problematic due to inadvertent exposure and noncompliance. Every time this happens, there is a change in the tight junctions, which controls the paracellular permeability and upregulation of inflammatory mediators and cytokines. This is an oral peptide that regulates the tight junctions. This study looked at 74 centers in the United States with 342 patients and has very interesting data. I won't share with you the final results, but they look very promising and represent a new approach to a problematic disease that affects about 1% of people in the United States alone." unquote

** 18.Wang C, Rasmussen H, Perrow W, et al. Larazotide acetate, a first in-class, novel tight junction regulator, meets primary endpoint and significantly reduces signs and symptoms of celiac disease in patients on a gluten-free diet: results of a multicenter, randomized, placebo controlled trial. Program and abstracts of Digestive Disease Week; May 3-6, 2014; Chicago, Illinois. Abstract 929f.

Liana
  • canadjineh
    Options
    It's late tonight, but I will post the Abstracts from the FODMAP study and the new celiac drug trial in the next day or two.
  • canadjineh
    Options
    More from the Digestive Disease Week 2014 sessions in Chicago this past week. (www.ddw.org)

Prevalence of Fructose Malabsorption in Patients With Irritable Bowel Syndrome After Excluding Small Intestinal Bacterial Overgrowth

Sa1179 |
    Kee Wook Jung1, Young Hwan Cho1, Young-Ok Park2, So Yoon Yoon2, JungBok Lee3, Jong Wook Kim1, Dong-Hoon Yang1, In Ja Yoon1, So Young Seo1, Hyo Jeong Lee1, Sang Hyoung Park1, Kyung-Jo Kim1, Byong Duk Ye1, Jeong-Sik Byeon1, Hwoon-Yong Jung1, Suk-Kyun Yang1, Jin-Ho Kim1, Seung-Jae Myung1

Print Affiliation
    1Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Asan Medical Center, Seoul, Republic of Korea; 2Clinical Nutrition, Asan Medical Center, Seoul, Republic of Korea; 3Clinical Epidemiology and Biostatistics, Asan Medical Center, Seoul, Republic of Korea

Abstract:

BACKGROUND: Fructose malabsorption (FM) mimics the symptoms of irritable bowel syndrome (IBS), and its prevalence has rapidly increased because of the frequent use of fructose in food products. However, diagnosing FM in IBS is challenging because of its overlap with small intestinal bacterial overgrowth (SIBO) and the differences among fructose dosage cutoffs that distinguish between FM and normalcy, especially in Asian individuals, in hydrogen breath testing (HBT). We assessed the prevalence of FM by comparing patients with IBS with asymptomatic control individuals after excluding SIBO using the glucose HBT. We also evaluated the effective fructose dosage for HBT. In addition, we assessed the differences between the dietary habits of patients with IBS and asymptomatic control individuals.
    METHODS: From December 2011 until November 2012, patients with IBS were identified using the ROME III questionnaire, and the asymptomatic control individuals were prospectively enrolled in the study. Dietary habits were determined using the Food Frequency Questionnaire (FFQ) and responses were analyzed using a computer-aided nutritional (CAN) analysis program. After excluding SIBO using the 75-g glucose HBT, the enrolled participants were tested using both the 15- and 25-g fructose HBTs, with an interval of at least 1 week.
    RESULTS: After excluding SIBO-positive patients and those that dropped out of the study during follow-up (n=18), 35 patients with IBS (male:female [M:F] ratio=16:19, mean age= 43 ± 14 years) and 35 asymptomatic control individuals (M:F ratio = 18:17, mean age = 38 ± 11 years) were enrolled in the study. The 15-g fructose HBT yielded positive results in seven of the 35 (20.0%) patients with IBS and in two of 35 (5.7%) asymptomatic control individuals (P = 0.07). The 25-g fructose HBT yielded positive results in 16 of the 35 (45.7%) patients with IBS and in eight of the 35 (22.9%) asymptomatic control individuals (P = 0.04). CAN analysis of the FFQ responses showed no significant differences between the two groups in relation to total calorie intakes, and protein, lipid, carbohydrate, and fructose consumption. However, patients with IBS showed a significantly higher mean fiber intake than that of the control individuals (21.24 ± 11.35 g in patients with IBS vs. 15.87 ± 7.07 g in asymptomatic control individuals, P = 0.04).
    CONCLUSIONS: Use of the 25-g fructose HBT enabled identification of FM in a significantly higher percentage of SIBO-negative patients with IBS than in asymptomatic control individuals, suggesting that FM is closely correlated with IBS. Education regarding dietary control of foods containing fructose may be useful for the management of patients with IBS.

Disclosure(s):
    The following people have nothing to disclose: Kee Wook Jung, Young Hwan Cho, Young-Ok Park, So Yoon Yoon, JungBok Lee, Jong Wook Kim, Dong-Hoon Yang, In Ja Yoon, So Young Seo, Hyo Jeong Lee, Sang Hyoung Park, Kyung-Jo Kim, Byong Duk Ye, Jeong-Sik Byeon, Hwoon-Yong Jung, Suk-Kyun Yang, Jin-Ho Kim, Seung-Jae Myung

Non Celiac Gluten Sensitivity (NCGS) Is Outnumbered by FODMAPS Sensitivity in Patients Spontaneously Adhering to Gluten Free Diet (GFD): a Two Stage Double Blind Prospective Study

Sa1989 |
    Barbara Zanini, Monica Marullo, Chiara Ricci, Francesco Lanzarotto, Alberto Lanzini

Print Affiliation
    Scienze Cliniche e Sperimentali-Gastroenterology Unit, University of Brescia, Brescia, Italy

Abstract:

Adverse gastrointestinal and extra intestinal reaction to gluten containing food is reported by many patients that spontaneously adhere to GFD without medical necessity because of exclusion of celiac disease (CD). It is unknown how many of these patients fulfil the criteria for NCGS, a still poorly defined clinical entity of uncertain pathogenesis, and whether cereal components other than gluten may cause symptoms.
    Our aim was to assess gluten dependence of symptoms in patients spontaneously adhering to GFD for self diagnosed adverse reaction to gluten containing diet.
    Patients spontaneously adherent to GFD without medical necessity referred to our Clinic in years 2008-2011 were recalled and randomized to a double blind cross over study involving, while continuing GFD, daily administration of 10 g gluten Vs 10 g gluten free flour for 10 days each with 2 weeks wash-out in between (challenge stage). Patients were subsequently instructed to keep on a low FODMAPs diet for 8 weeks (low FODMAPs stage) Endpoints: ability to clearly identify the gluten phase of the challenge stage, and changes of Gastrointestinal Symptoms Rating Scale (GSRS) and of visual analogue fatigue scale, changes of antigliadin (AGA) IgA/lgG and anti tissue transglutaminase (t-TG) IgA between baseline and various steps of the two stages of the study.
    Out of 86 patients recalled 45 persisting on GFD fulfilled exclusion criteria for CD. 25 patients (age 42 + 9 years, M/F = 2/23, 10 HLA DQ2/8 positive, 13 negative, 2 unknown) signed the informed consent and were randomized. During the challenge stage the gluten phase of the study was correctly, incorrectly, or not clearly identified by 8, 12 and 5 patients, respectively. In the 8 gluten sensitive patients recognizing the gluten phase (4 with HLA DQ2/8), scores for the 3 dimensions of GSRS (pain, indigestion and diarrhoea), but not those for fatigue scale, were higher during the gluten compared with the no gluten phase (figure 1) and with baseline values (not shown). Scores in the 12 patients not recognizing the gluten phase were worse during the gluten free flour phase than during the gluten phase. No change in transglutaminase antibody level was observed at any time point. During the low FODMAPs stage of the study there was a trend for the 5 dimensions of the GSRS to be reduced in the gluten sensitive patients, and the score of indigestion dimension (borborygmus, bloating, eructation, flatus) was significantly reduced in patients incorrectly identifying gluten (FODMAPs sensitive, figure 2) and with worsening of symptoms during the gluten free flour phase of challenge.
    The population of patients reporting intolerance to gluten containing food is a mixed population of gluten sensitive (NCGS) and of FODMAPs sensitive patients. NCGS is uncommon and is outnumbered by FODMAPs sensitivity in patients spontaneously adhering to GFD.

(There were charts/graphs/ here I could not copy to this forum - Liana)

Disclosure(s):
    The following people have nothing to disclose: Barbara Zanini, Monica Marullo, Chiara Ricci, Francesco Lanzarotto, Alberto Lanzini

Larazotide Acetate, a First in-Class, Novel Tight Junction Regulator, Meets Primary Endpoint and Significantly Reduces Signs and Symptoms of Celiac Disease in Patients on a Gluten-Free Diet: Results of a Multicenter, Randomized, Placebo Controlled Trial

11:00 | 929f |
    Chao Wang1, Henrik Rasmussen1, Wendy Perrow1, Ciaran P. Kelly2, Daniel Leffler2, Peter Green3, Richard N. Fedorak4, Anthony J. DiMarino5, Premysl Bercik6, Joseph A. Murray7, Natalie M. Bachir8

Print Affiliation
    1Alba Therapeutics, Baltimore, MD; 2Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA; 3Columbia University, New York, NY; 4University of Alberta, Edmonton, AB, Canada; 5Thomas Jefferson University Hospital, Philadelphia, PA; 6McMaster University, Hamilton, ON, Canada; 7Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN; 8Essentia Health Duluth Clinic, Duluth, MN

Abstract:

Background: Celiac disease (CeD) is a genetic autoimmune condition affecting 1% of the western population. Triggered by the ingestion of gluten, CeD is managed by a Gluten-Free diet (GFD), however recurrent symptoms due to inadvertent exposure and non-adherence to GFD are common and found in up to 71.8% of individuals with CeD. Symptoms can significantly impact quality of life and the disease is associated with an increased risk of gastrointestinal (GI) cancers and T-cell lymphoma. Tight junctions (TJ) control paracellular permeability, increased in CeD, caused in part, by an inflammatory immune response subsequent to paracellular transport of gluten peptides into the intestinal lamina propria through epithelial TJs. Larazotide acetate is a first-in-class oral peptide that prevents TJ opening and reduces gluten uptake, inhibiting gluten and cytokine-induced intestinal permeability and inflammation in vivo. The aim of the study was to investigate the efficacy of Larazotide acetate to improve signs and symptoms in individuals with CeD while on a GFD.
    Methods: In this outpatient, randomized, parallel, double-blind, placebo-controlled, multicenter study, conducted in 74 sites in North America, 342 CeD patients on a GFD for ≥12 months were randomized to receive placebo or Larazotide acetate 0.5, 1, or 2 mg three times daily (TID). The 20-week study had a 4-week placebo run-in, 12-week treatment phase, and 4-week placebo run-out. The primary outcome was the average on-treatment score in the Celiac Disease Gastrointestinal Symptom Rating Scale (CeD GSRS) domains of Diarrhea, Indigestion, and Abdominal pain.
    Results: The primary endpoint of symptom reduction was met at the 0.5 mg dose of Larazotide acetate compared with placebo in both Modified Intention To Treat (MITT) (ANCOVA p=0.022, MMRM p=0.005) and Per Protocol (PP) analysis (ANCOVA p=0.007, MMRM p=0.001) (Figure 1). The 0.5 mg dose showed favorable outcomes for CeD Patient Reported Outcome (CeD PRO) GI domain, decrease in CeD PRO Symptomatic days (MITT ANCOVA 0.017) (Figure 2), an increase in Symptom-Free days (MITT ANCOVA p=0.034) and a decrease in Non-GI symptoms (MITT ANCOVA p=0.010). No increases in anti-tTG (IgA and IgG) titers were observed at any dose of Larazotide acetate. Safety of Larazotide acetate was comparable to placebo.
    Conclusion: Larazotide acetate 0.5 mg reduced GI and non-GI symptoms, while reducing the number of Symptomatic days. The safety and tolerability profile of Larazotide acetate was comparable to placebo. This study represents the first large therapeutic trial in CeD to meet its primary endpoint of reducing signs and symptoms and is the first successful trial of a novel class of agents targeting TJ regulation. Larazotide acetate 0.5 mg has the potential to be the first pharmacologic CeD treatment and warrants further investigation in Phase III clinical trials.

Disclosure(s):
    Wendy Perrow - Employment: Alba Therapeutics
    Ciaran P. Kelly - Advisory Committees or Review Panels: Alba Therapeutics, Alvine, Merck & Co, Regeneron, Glaxo Smith Kline, Optimer, Sanofi-Pasteur, ImmunoSanT, Cubist; Consulting: CSL Behring, CSL Behring
    Daniel Leffler - Consulting: Alba, Alvine, Shire, Ironwood
    Peter Green - Board Membership: alvine pharmaceuticals
    Richard N. Fedorak - Advisory Committees or Review Panels: Abbvie, Aptalis Pharma, Ferring Pharmaceuticals, UCB Pharma, Shire Pharmaceuticals Group, Procter & Gamble Pharmaceuticals , VSL3 Inc, Pfizer Inc , Janssen-Cilag, Merck Inc, Celtrion; Grant/Research Support: Canadian Institutes of Health Research; Stock Shareholder: Metabolomic Technologies Inc
    Premysl Bercik - Advisory Committees or Review Panels: Janssen Canada, Forest Laboratories; Grant/Research Support: Nestle, Switzerland
    Joseph A. Murray - Advisory Committees or Review Panels: Alvine, Enteromedics, flamentera; Consulting: Ironwood Pharmaceuticals Inc., Vysera, Iralnd, Torax Medical , AMAG, Enterohealth, Bioline Rx, GSK
    The following people have nothing to disclose: Chao Wang, Henrik Rasmussen, Anthony J. DiMarino, Natalie M. Bachir

Obviously, the teams involved in the drug trial have been members of panels for drug companies, just FYI. Take it for what it's worth.

You can probably find out more from your MD or gastroenterologist. print this info out & give it to them so they can do some research for you.
  • blupanda12
    blupanda12 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Hmm, those studies are very interesting. I'm a little suprised the drug trial was looking for reduction of symptoms and signs rather than reduction of the body's reaction to gluten. In my mind, there's no use having a pill that makes eating gluten feel as good as eating something else if the villi still die in the long run - otherwise, you just post-pone the inevitable issues with malnutrition.

I'm interested to see what further studies are done in this direction, and hopefully they'll be done with less drug-company connections - or at least repeated often enough by other researchers to validate results.
  • canadjineh
    Options
    Hmm, those studies are very interesting. I'm a little suprised the drug trial was looking for reduction of symptoms and signs rather than reduction of the body's reaction to gluten. In my mind, there's no use having a pill that makes eating gluten feel as good as eating something else if the villi still die in the long run - otherwise, you just post-pone the inevitable issues with malnutrition.

I'm interested to see what further studies are done in this direction, and hopefully they'll be done with less drug-company connections - or at least repeated often enough by other researchers to validate results.

Yes, it was unclear if the symptom decrease was due to less permeability of the intestine (ie healthier villi) or just damping down general body response to the leaking proteins...
  • mommymilkies
    Options
    This is all fascinating. I know in Italy, they've done research on ancient Einkorn wheat being ok fro people with diagnosed Celiac's Disease. The genetic makeup is very different. I will say, it's delicious, too. I'm not trying it again for awhile, though. I want to make sure I get to a regular baseline normal. But that's something to look into.