Workout schedule opinions

Options
aliciab307
aliciab307 Posts: 370 Member
I'm starting stronglifts and c25k next week and wanted to do them together. My schedule would look something like this:
Mwf- stronglifts then c25k, and all the other days will be rest days. Im thinking this should be fine given that I'd have 4 rest days and on every day I'd walk a minimum of 10,000 steps. Opinions?

Replies

• aliciab307
    Options
    Not sure if this will be useful info but i do plan on eating maintenance for the next 2/3 months then eat at a deficit.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I have never done c25k so not sure what it entails...but when I do cardio it's on my off lifting days.

usually Tuesdays and Thursdays taking the weekends off...but will workout on Saturday if I feel like it.
  • aliciab307
    Options
    C25k is a progressive cardio program to run a 5k in 8/9 weeks running 3x a week avg workout time being 30 mins. I thought perhaps working out only 3 days a week and combining both workouts on the same day would be better because I have more recovery time overall.
  • girlie100
    girlie100 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    there's no reason why it shouldn't work. but both programmes are progressive so bear in mind that as you are adding weight to the bar each week you are also adding distance to your runs. I'm a firm believer in 'there's no such thing as over training just under recovering'

So providing you eat and sleep enough and have no underlying medical reasons just try it out and see how it goes :drinker:
  • aliciab307
    Options
    Thank you! I'll definitely keep an eye on recovery progression and if anything just cut down on c25k as lifting is my primary concern. Thanks again!
  • hananah89
    hananah89 Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    Once you get heavier in SLs and further in C25K, I would recommend separating them to different days. It's hard when the weights get heavier to then have the energy to go run (or do any cardio at all).
  • ErinRibbens
    ErinRibbens Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    you'll be fine as long as you pay attention to your body and switch it up if you feel like you're getting exhausted (no energy during the day, super hungry, having a hard time progressing etc.). don't be afraid to repeat weeks on the C25K as well. I've done it a couple times (had to get back in shape after pregnancy) and it went slower than scheduled for me both times. I have trouble running and lifting heavy at the same time, but as long as you are willing to have some slower progress I think you'll be fine!
  • aliciab307
    Options
    Thank you all for the advice. I'll probably scale back on c25k in any case and not push if it does get to be taxing to run after.