WANT TO LIFT BUT DONT KNOW WHERE TO START?

Options
ct320
ct320 Posts: 89 Member
Hi everyone

I've recently joined the gym and have been mainly doing cardio and a few of the weight "machines" but would really like to start proper lifting as I have seen some fantastic results!

Any advice on how to start would be great - I'm a bit daunted about just walking up to the weights without a clue and looking like a bit of an idiot :laugh:

Thanks x

Replies

• lwoodroff
    lwoodroff Posts: 1,431 Member
    Options
    start by reading the stickies on here, they describe 5x5 very well :)

if that is too scary, you can start with bodyweight stuff (look out for convict conditioning type stuff).

but this is FUN! and we LOVE it! :)
  • ct320
    ct320 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Thank you I will have a look x
  • jstout365
    jstout365 Posts: 1,686 Member
    Options
    1. Read the stickies on here.
    2. Watch the 5x5 A and B videos (linked in the stickies)
    3. Watch form videos on youtube - most recommend Mark Rippetoe videos. He is the one who wrote starting strength and breaks down the movements pretty well.
    4. Got to the gym and get started.
    a. If you don't know how to get things set up, ask the gym staff if they can show you how something works.
    b. Don't worry about looking like you don't know what you are doing. Everyone has to start somewhere and won't immediately know how the equipment works. I started at a new gym and know what to do, but bumbled around with the equipment because it was different.
    5. Ask questions here and record videos of yourself if you want us to comment on form.
    6. Enjoy a life of being stronger!
  • lindsey1979
    lindsey1979 Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone

I've recently joined the gym and have been mainly doing cardio and a few of the weight "machines" but would really like to start proper lifting as I have seen some fantastic results!

Any advice on how to start would be great - I'm a bit daunted about just walking up to the weights without a clue and looking like a bit of an idiot :laugh:

Thanks x

I recommend Starting Strength over 5X5 -- http://www.amazon.com/Starting-Strength-3rd-Mark-Rippetoe/dp/0982522738

It gets you going all the major moves -- squats, presses, bench, deadlifts, etc. You'll find people hashing out 5x5 v. SS all over the place, but I definitely prefer SS myself.
  • rlw911
    rlw911 Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I prefer SL over Starting Strength. When I was researching which program to follow, most people said the Power Clean, which is part of SS, is a more advanced lift and they didn't recommend it for beginners. That being said, the Starting Strength book is an excellent source of information!
  • lindsey1979
    lindsey1979 Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    I prefer SL over Starting Strength. When I was researching which program to follow, most people said the Power Clean, which is part of SS, is a more advanced lift and they didn't recommend it for beginners. That being said, the Starting Strength book is an excellent source of information!

That's true, but I don't think newbies start out with the power clean, and I'd agree that they way he teaches the powerclean isn't great (I prefer others). But, in the beginning, they're very similar. The biggest difference will be the volume (3x5 versus 5x5), so you'll get to higher weights quicker with 3x5. I also personally think 5x5 is just a rip off of 3x5 -- there really is no explanation for many of his changes in the program, whereas 3x5's program is backed by a lot of years of training and coaching.

But, if you really want to see some hot debates on them, go to body building forums.
  • lwoodroff
    lwoodroff Posts: 1,431 Member
    Options
    I agree, Lindsey. I did SL for a while, then dropped it to 3x5, which is effectively SS without the PC. I'm now (finally) learning the PC. The other thing that SL adds in as an additional exercise is chin ups (I think, I'm rubbish though so haven't even tried for a while!).

The book is incredibly detailed and technical but will give you the confidence in what you are doing, and -why-. :)