Why Am I going throught all this?!?! Sigh..

Options
garlic7girl
garlic7girl Posts: 2,234 Member
http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/health-science/new-evidence-on-how-weight-diet-and-exercise-can-help-reduce-cancer-risk/2014/02/18/87bbc62a-8cdc-11e3-95dd-36ff657a4dae_story.html?wpisrc=nl_health

This is why! Hey, and guess what from what it says it is never too late or too early to start either! Look we all know we can't stop bad things from happening all the time. That said but if you can do your best to stave off something from happening wouldn't you?!

Let's say you are like my family and you have a strong high blood pressure history. My brother as a teen had it. He played football, track and basketball. He was in great shape and ate good foods. He still had it. But can you IMAGINE how much worse it would have been if he didn't exercise or was overweight? I shudder to think!

One of my girlfriends had abdominal surgery. Her recuperation time was not as long as most and she healed greatly. She told me her doctor was shocked!!!! He told her it must be because she ran, did weight training and ate a clean diet.
We can't prevent all health woes but what if you we can prevent or drastically reduce the severity!?!?

hmmmm something to think about!

WW

Replies

• ShellyAnn46
    ShellyAnn46 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Good article & I totally agree.
  • WarriorCupcakeBlydnsr
    WarriorCupcakeBlydnsr Posts: 2,150 Member
    Options
    Good article, I know for me a lot of what I'm doing is because I'm learning as I get older and more health issues are getting discussed in my family (partly because,... ahem,.... I work in public health and I can be such a pain in the rear about somethings) that I have a lot more genetic predispositions to a lot of things (so far I'm a genetic target for breast, lung, ovarian, and esophageal cancers, diabetes, high blood pressure, migraines..... and the list seems to go on).

I grouse about all the doctors and appointments I've had over the past year, but in reality a lot of it is because I've been proactive about my getting into better health and getting preventative care to circumvent many of these things.

Then, of course, with the whole fitness thing (I am sticking to my statement that even if everything I'm doing doesn't work I'm going to be the fittest fat person EVER) part of it is getting healthy and part of it is .... {sigh}..... I drank the kool-aid.... I'm addicted....
  • verdemujer
    verdemujer Posts: 1,397 Member
    Options
    I drank the kool-aid.... I'm addicted....

That's great! We should all be addicted to our health instead of being addicted to our 'sins'.

With regards to the article: I actually think, since one of my proactive healthy activities in Feb was a snap shot in time and since I appear (by weight only) to be unhealthy, that's why they wanted me back in 5 years. I told them "No, you'll see me in 10." She was shocked. But since I don't drink, I exercise, I am eating healthy, I have no family history of cancer, ever, and no findings on the one and only polyup, why would I put myself through that hell again in 5 years? I think we have to remember that we do have some control over our lives and our choices. If we exercise those choices properly, than we should be able to have a better life.
  • WarriorCupcakeBlydnsr
    WarriorCupcakeBlydnsr Posts: 2,150 Member
    Options
    I drank the kool-aid.... I'm addicted....

That's great! We should all be addicted to our health instead of being addicted to our 'sins'.
    That's our standing joke every time a new person comes and stays at the gym, we always say that they drank the kool-aid