Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Cloth diapers?

Any of you going to or already use cloth diapers? After having my 3yo still in diapers right now. We have decided to go cloth for #2. i have started reading as much as I can to make sure I am set on this before spending all the money, But i think it just seems to make sense. The one thing I am most worried about is leaking.

Replies

• stephysd
    stephysd Posts: 2,410 Member
    I clothed our middle son at home, but he used disposables at daycare. We did not start until he was 6 months old. But I will be cloth diapering this little lady from the start. Our daycare does allow cloth they just have to be an AIO or AI2. We just did not have the finances to get all the diapers that would be needed to do fulltime with our middle child. The ones we used at home were fitted diapers that I made and cover. Most the time actually the cover was either wool pants or fleece pants.

Using a fitted and usually no PUL cover, there was hardly any times that we had problems with leaks. If there was a leak it was because he drank a whole bunch and I was not paying attention. I also got gDiapers and used cloth soakers in them. I hated the gDiapers. The snaps inside dug into his chunky little thighs and left terrible marks. Also the waterproof portion held onto the pee smell no matter what I did for washing.

This go round we will be using a variety of diapers. At home during maternity leave I have Bummi prefolds with snappis and 5 Bummi covers to use with those. I also have 2 Fuzzibunz smalls for overnights. This I purchased off of Craigslist from a lady who had a stillborn and they had decided they were done having kids. Everything was brand new, not that I am above used. I am actually getting pictures of some used Fuzzibunz before making the hour trip to pick them up if they are in good condition.

For at daycare we are going to use Applecheeks. They will be stuffed with either the prefolds. I have purchased a few of Applecheeks bamboo stuffers and will probably make some more of those as they are trimmer. At daycare they will have to be stuffed and a new diaper each time. At home, I can put the stuffer on top of the diaper and then just change the cover every third diaper change.

I just purchased a Grovia with a snap in soaker to see what they look like. I think maybe of getting two of the covers and soakers to use these when we are out and about shopping or visiting. I figured the soakers would be smaller for in the diaper bag and after the diaper change I would just snap on a soaker so it would be ready to go and switch at the next one.

For wipes, I used the tiny and useless baby washcloths that everyone gives you at your shower. I would just get a bunch wet with water at the beginning of the day and throw into wipe container. I then had a small spray bottle of California Baby Calming Diaper Area wash diltued to the instructions on the back. Spray area and then wipe clean.

Things I did not have last time and total getting this time - Diaper sprayer.
  • stephysd
    Another thing I really recommend is diaper liner. I've used the flushable, but they seemed rough and my son had really sensitive skin. I ended up making some from fleece based off the dimensions of the Bummi flushable we were using. This go round I am going to get bamboo fleece and make some new liners. I like the anti-bacteria properties from the bamboo and it is much softer fabric on the skin.

Also plan on the pants sizes being one up from their actually age. That cute cloth makes for a poofy behind.

If you are cloth diapering maybe look into swim diapers. They are awesome and work well and save so much money. I bought Bummi ones this go round because I was a total sucker for the bubble print and the fact that I could get the rash guard shirt and hat to all match. She'll be a styling beach bunny this summer.

For laundry soap I used Charlie's and liked it. My husband did not because there was no smell to it. If you use Charlie's you have to use it for all your laundry because other soaps leave a residue in your washer and when you use Charlie's it can have that residue come off and leach onto your diapers. I did promise my husband this time we could try the Rockin' Green detergent as it comes in different scents, but if I don't like it I'd get essential oils and make fabric softner with the oils and vinegar for his laundry.

Sorry for the book, but I love cloth diapers and really wished I would have used them from the beginning. Let me know if you have any more questions or anything specific you are wondering on.

Also what type of diapers are you looking? Wondering if there is a brand out there that I should check into.
  • qhiggins86
    qhiggins86 Posts: 113 Member
    I alllso plan on cloth diapering my little one... thanks so much for the information, ladies!
  • stephysd
    Gro Via Hybrid diaper came in the mail on Saturday and I really like the way it looks. Definately going to work for our diaper bag diaper. The soaker and diaper are very trim, but are only 5 layers thick. My other diapers range from 9 to 7 layers, so the fact it is trimmer should be expected. The diaper cover is a one size so even if I just get a few for our out-and-about trips it will last her until she potty trains.

What diapers have you ladies been looking at?
  • KimberlyTG2
    KimberlyTG2 Posts: 84 Member
    I picked up a few from a friend of mine on Fri. Not sure about the brand... it was one I wasn't familiar with. The liners are a little thin. I would like to get some bamboo liners. I have heard good things about Bamboo.

I registered on KellysCloset.com last week. I thought that would be the easiest for my family and friends to order from. I really like the Bumgenius 4.0 AIO's. For new born I like the Rumparoo's because people seem to say they fit small to up to 16lb's. I registered for a couple of other brands too, just so I could check them out if people want to buy them. A friend of mine really likes the FuzziBunz brand, but I'm not sure based on the reviews. I just want to use the easiest thing possible until I get used to it
  • KimberlyTG2
    Oh I forgot. In the little bundle of diapers my friend sold me, so added a swim diaper. I think that is going to get a lot of use this summer
  • superhelga
    superhelga Posts: 68 Member
    We got a bunch of bumgenious one size pocket diapers as well as G-diapers handed down for our first son. I had no plan to use cloth diapers, but ended up embracing it enthusiastically. We saved so much money (considering we never paid for them).
    The bum genious OS are brilliant, because you can use the same diaper from newborn to toddler. G diapers were great too. Prefolds always felt too bulky and complicated.
    Unfortunately eventually when our son was around 2 they just couldn't hold his pee anymore and we started disposables.
    I think they were ruined by the daycare using zink and vaseline. Hopefully Ill have some time to replace the inside fabric of the bumgenious covers before baby#2 arrives..
  • stephysd
    @superhelga - Did you try stripping the diapers? That may remove a lot of that 'gunk' from them and make them useable again. Even if it did not work all you would be out of is time and a few household ingredients. If you need a how-to, you could google it or else I can try to locate the link I followed when I stripped my diapers.
  • KimberlyTG2
    A couple of ladies at church gave me an early shower gift last week. They each bought me a Bumgenious diaper with liners. They are so cute.
    I am really trying not to order any myself until after my showers. I want to see what I get first before paying for more. I wish I could buy some more used ones, but I just don't know about that process. I have looked at some of the websites that people talk about buying from, but it looks like the good diapers sell so fast. How did you guys get most of yours?
  • stephysd
    I lucked out that we have a maternity/consignment store in a town an hour away that sells cloth diapers. They do an education seminar once a month on cloth diapering and babywearing. So that is where I have been purchasing all of my new ones from. They also every two months do a big diaper sale that moms can sign up to sell their diapers at. The moms name their price and the store has the sale on a Saturday. I have not gone to that yet, but plan to in April.

I also lucked out and found a mom on Craigslist who was selling her cloth diapers that she had never used as they decided they were done having kids. These ones are Bummi prefolds with a cover. I plan on just using these at home and then using the prefolds to stuff.

I've checked Craigslist a few different times, but have not seen any that have interested me or I feel the prices were way to high for used. The new diapers I purchased at Elegant Mommy are $18 for the cover and $13 for the 2 stuffers.

I also sew. So I purchased a bunch of PUL from Joann Fabric and I have microfleece leftover from making diapers and pullup trainers for my middle child. I found a free pattern on the internet and plan to make a bunch of diapers as well. I will probably do this after the baby is born and my maternity leave starts. Both my boys will be in school during the day, so I'll have a few more minutes of quietish time.

Not much help, but one thing to think about is even though it cost more up front to purchase new. You will know how they were taken care of from the get go and with two kids in diapers if you get a One Size you will be able to use the same diapers for both kids. It'll help get your monies worth out.
  • qhiggins86
    qhiggins86 Posts: 113 Member
    Thanks for mentioning the classes, @stephysd!!! I've been dying to check out my local consignment store that also sells cloth diapers. I didn't get to go this weekend, but I checked their website and they're offering a Cloth Diapering 101 class for free this Saturday! I'm gonna go check it out and see what I'm getting myself into... :laugh:

I've put the word out there to friends and family that we plan on cloth diapering, so I'm also waiting to see what we get out of our baby showers, babyIansMom. I know it's going to add a little work, but I'm excited about doing the cloth diapering. Some people have rolled their eyes at me like I'm being some sort of liberal bleeding heart, but it just makes sense no matter how you think about it! We haven't decided if we're going to have more than one child yet, but if we do, we'll be set on the future!
  • KimberlyTG2
    I'm so jealous that your consignment stores have all that available. I called some around here, but they directed me to a website where a lady makes cloth diapers. I am also interested in baby wearing, but I didn't do it with my first child because I wasn't sure I could figure out the long piece of cloth. i would like to try with this baby.

@qhiggins86, I totally understand the reactions that you are getting. My aunt in Cali is so excited about helping us out and buying diapers, but the rest of my family here in E. TX think we are crazy tree huggers. I like the idea of not adding a load of diapers to landfills and all that. But truthfully, my 3yo is still in diapers/pullups. I haven't added up the cost for the last 3 years, but I know its a fortune. And I am a social worker and my husband is finishing school to be an elm teacher. I just don't have the money to throw away. I just think its worth a try. Oh and they are kinda cute too:)
  • stephysd
    re: Babywearing

For my first, I used a store bought carrier. Hated it! It was so hard to get him out of it when he would fall asleep and it just was not comfortable.

For my second, I purchased a ring sling from a local lady who makes them. The link is what mine is like, but I did not purchase from this spot. http://www.etsy.com/listing/79980040/natural-linen-ring-sling-with-pocket?ref=sr_gallery_10&ga_search_query=ring+sling&ga_ship_to=US&ga_ref=auto1&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery

I loved the sling and it worked really well up until he was a year old and then he just wanted to be free to run and walk. It was great because I could easily take the sling off if he fell asleep and lay him down. Downside is that you always have to carry them in front and/or on the hip. I plan on going to the seminar to learn more about different types of babywearing. This is who the local chapter in my area is affiliated with. Maybe you will be able to find a chapter close to you.

http://babywearinginternational.org/
  • KimberlyTG2
    I had the back pack too, but getting him in and out was very difficult. I want one of these ring slings. I'm going to see if I can find one a little less than $65, but I do like the looks of the ones on etsy
  • stephysd
    I paid $40 for mine at a Baby Fair that was being held at the hospital where we delivered 5 years ago. It was worth absolutely every penny. Make sure the fabric is a natural fabric (such as cotton, linen, bamboo or hemp) so that it breathes and the baby does not get to warm. You don't want any polyster in there. If you know someone who sews, they are not difficult to sew and the cost drops down a lot. Material will maybe run $20 and the spendy part will be the rings. Make sure that they are heavy duty rings made for this reason. I've been debating about making a second one as I used the first one so much with my July baby and I know we will be on the go a lot with this baby as well. It was always a sad day when it had to go in the wash because it got spit up on.

I also want to make one with athletic mesh fabric so that I can wear it in the pool when swimming with my sons. I know we will be there everyday and it would be nice to have my hands free and not holding the baby constantly.
  • KimberlyTG2
    I found one on ETSY in the $40 range that I really like, so I will probably order that one. I really think it would be handy to have. My husband has been hired to take care of the pool in our housing area this summer. I wonder how old babies need to be before going into the pool. My 3 yo loves the water. He was born in March so I had him in the pool by June (as soon as it warmed up enough)
  • stephysd
    I found one on ETSY in the $40 range that I really like, so I will probably order that one. I really think it would be handy to have. My husband has been hired to take care of the pool in our housing area this summer. I wonder how old babies need to be before going into the pool. My 3 yo loves the water. He was born in March so I had him in the pool by June (as soon as it warmed up enough)

With my second child born in July we were at the pool at least 2-3 times per week. My oldest was 3 at the time, so we were mainly in the shallow 'baby' pool. When Iver was awake he was in the water with us. I just made sure to try to keep him in the shade. I also made sure that his suit had SPF in it and he wore a rash guard shirt as well to cut down on how much skin showed. My hubby is a red head, and even though the boys took blonde hair after me, they have their dad's freckly skin. So they always wear a bucket hat to cover their head and ears during the summer.

This is the suit I ordered for my daughter this go round. http://www.bummis.com/us/en/sun-line.php I liked that the rash guard was SPF up to 50 and how much skin the hat would cover. I have not used them in the past though, so other then what I read online I have no idea how great it will be or not.

In regards to babies being outside and using outdoor products on them. I know it is supposed to be a huge big no-no. I used Burt's Bees on both of my sons and they are still alive and seem to have no after effects from it. My oldest would have been around 5 months when we started, and my middle would have been from the start as a newborn.

Sunscreen I used this - http://www.burtsbees.com/Baby-Bee®-SPF-30-Sunscreen-Stick/00613-00-1,default,pd.html?cgid=&start=1&q=sun screen&navid=search#q=sun%20screen&start=1

Bug Spray I used this - http://www.burtsbees.com/Herbal-Insect-Repellent/15299-00,default,pd.html

This is what I am thinking on trying to make for Lena to use in the pool as I know I will have to be in the big pool with my sons. Iver will be in his second year of swimming lessons so we'll be practicing in the 3ft deep section.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/154207340/maroon-mesh-wrap-to-carry-baby-around?ref=sr_gallery_10&ga_search_query=mesh+baby+wrap+for+pool&ga_ship_to=US&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery

All her pictures show it with an older baby, but when I wore Iver as an infant I'd have that thing synched up tight so that he was resting right at breast level or a little below. And he would lay in there like you were holding him in your arms. I plan on making it in a lighter color though so it does not attract so much heat.
  • KimberlyTG2
    Thanks for the links/info. I like that mesh carrier that would be nice for the pool. My boys are half Hispanic, but I try to keep them covered and slathered with sunscreen. I really like Burts bees products, but have never tried the sunblock. Will have to get some of that.
  • tiggerhammon
    tiggerhammon Posts: 2,211 Member
    Just wanted to say that you guys are tough! I couldn't do it. I tried with my first and caved to disposables and will be doing disposables with this one.
  • KimberlyTG2
    Just wanted to say that you guys are tough! I couldn't do it. I tried with my first and caved to disposables and will be doing disposables with this one.

What did you find to be the hardest part?