Image Perception

morzolas
morzolas Posts: 59 Member
So, I was out with family the other day, and we asked someone to take our photo. We were sitting at a table, so it was mostly my upper body and face that were visible. I don't know if it was a bad angle or what, but I was surprised by how I looked in the photograph. I feel like my mental image of how I look versus how I appeared in the picture are different. I know I should be happy with my consistent weight loss, but it just really bugged me that I didn't look that great in the photo. It's almost as if I feel that simply because I'm putting in the work the results should be obvious.

Anyone have differences in what they think they look like versus what they actually look like? I've had it the opposite way as well (thinking I looked bigger than I actually was). It just messed with my mind a little bit like "I can't even really tell there's been progress." I'm not mentally torn down by it or anything, but it was just enough to really bug me.

Replies

• AtLeastOnceMore
    AtLeastOnceMore Posts: 304 Member
    In my head, I've looked exactly the same for the last 10 years, even though my weight had fluctuated by 30kg. It surprises me to see pics where I'm much smaller, surprised me when I saw pics at my heaviest, and I struggle to see differences now that I'm in the middle of those two weights. I think, for me at least, the psychological aspect of weight loss is more difficult than the physical. But trust me, you are not alone!
  • JoyLaine
    JoyLaine Posts: 110 Member
    In my dreams I'm stuck at 40 years-old which wasn't too shabby :laugh: So, I'm not surprised that my photo never looks like the person I see in the mirror and the person I see in the mirror looks a lot better than the photo if that makes any sense. It's definitely a brain thing.
  • RosieRaz
    RosieRaz Posts: 282 Member
    I had that happen last week. I feel better, my clothes fit better...but in pictures I still look bigger than I think I am. :/ I know it will take time, and I know I will get there, but I'm with you...I wish it was just more obvious. Jessica Simpson loses 25 lbs and there is a huge difference. I lose 25 and you can barely tell.
  • Spambo16
    Spambo16 Posts: 223 Member
    When I'm in front of the mirror in the morning in the altogether, I think I look great, because I still envision myself 35 lbs ago. But when I catch a glimpse of just one part, that flap of upper arm or the pooch in the gut, it feels like I have so much further to go.