10K Help

Options
OnionMomma
OnionMomma Posts: 938 Member
I know a 10K isn't what we would normally call a long run, but I'm pretty sure you all can help me out.

So, I did a 10K on Saturday and will run the same course at the end of April for a Wounded Warrior 10K. I would really like me time to be better but want to be realistic about it. this course was hillier than the 99% flat they stated so I've got that to contend with as well. If it was flat, I would have probably came in right under an hour. I came in at 1:04.

As a matter of fact on the second pretty decent hill, I laughed with a runner near me "99% flat my behind!". :laugh:

Is it reasonable to think I can get my time under an hour in this amount of time? What can I do to lower my time for the next race?

I am an "urban" runner, so all my running is done on sidewalks with traffic flowing by me. (It's in the Tidewater area of VA). the only hills I have to train on are the interstate over passes. My training this time around, I did do one over pass out and then again on the way back to the house.

To get faster and prepare for hills (there was 3 pretty good ones and some rolling little ones thrown in) should I plan a run day where all I do is the overpass from one end to another for a set amount of time or distance?

Is there a sight with a training schedule for this? (I know there must be )

In my home running course, I can keep at 10 min mile pace for the entire 6 miles, so I wasn't off my pace too badly. And I need to play a better mental game next time around. the uncertainty of "where" I was in each mile, worried me. I run cords free, so I count sidewalk lines and cars and such to take my mind off of things and I didn't have that for a roadrace. I still paced pretty good I think and my mental game wasn't too bad for my first race.

Thanks for any advice.

Replies

• schmenge55
    schmenge55 Posts: 745 Member
    Options
    Hard to say if you can shave 4 minutes as there are so many factors. That said, hills don;t have to be a problem. Now, full disclosure: I can do without hills. But I guy I work with has every one of his PRs, from 5k to marathon on a hilly course. he *prefers* hills. His theory is that when he goes uphill he rests his quads and when going downhill he rests the hamstrings

I would put effort into two areas right now, learning how to run hills better and running faster. You can Google about running hills, but here are my tips: Make sure you keep your posture tall when on the hills. Certainly this should be all the time, but bending at the waist is bad and people tend to do that, especially going uphill. When going uphill SHORTEN your stride a bit. Most people over-stride and this is HARDER. Stand tall, short stride and "fall up the hill."

Are you doing tempo runs and interval work? If so do your tempo work at about 9:45 pace and short intervals 8:15 or so. Your easy runs in the vicinity of 11:00. If you can get some "hills" into your training that is a good idea, especially so you can practice tall/short stride.

And finally, :), if you are tapering don't. You really do not need a taper for a 10k. Now that said the two days before should be easier but everything else leading up to that can be pretty normal. If anything reduce by a mile or two per day on that week but do not drop the intensity. Doing too little that week can make your legs lazy

Hope this is helpful. And good luck!
  • OnionMomma
    Options
    I didn't do any really training for this run. I run 3 times per week and just keep my pace around 10-12 mins and do between 5-6 miles each time.

I got registered for this one by mistake. My Mom pulled up the info she though was going to be for the late April race (she had already registered) and I sat down and filled out the financial stuff and proceeded to 'check out". when I got the paperwork to print off, it stated the race would be March 1st. I had one week's notice to this race!!

I do strive to stand up tall, it's hard as I am afraid I will step on something on the sidewalk or hit a crack in the sidewalk and fall (I've done both). On hills, I attack them pretty well, shortening my stride and all. And try to pick up speed and rest on the flat of the hill on the top (since it's an overpass). Then pick up my pace back to normal for the downhill.

I'm going to google around and find a training schedule.

It will help that the weather should be clearer and I can get in consistent runs each week without worrying about snow, ice, or freezing rain. Leading up to this last race, I had at least 3 weeks, where I ran twice. Nothing you can do about freezing weather and rain. I will run in the rain if it's warm enough, it's not been though.
  • schmenge55
    schmenge55 Posts: 745 Member
    Options
    Look out 10 feet or so, then you can see anything on the ground ahead of you without craning your neck down. Since you got tossed into the race, all the more likely you can get ready for a faster time. If you don't find a plan I can give you some thoughts on what your schedule could look like if you like.

I'd love to have some rain to run in. Wind chill was -12 or so this morning when I was out. :)
  • OnionMomma
    Options
    UGH we just got sleet and will get rain today here on the coast of VB. So tired of it!

I loved running in the rain this summer, it was lovely. Looking forward to doing it again.

running in the freezing weather and rain, not so much.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    I would not be concerned about running faster at this point, but rather running more. More miles, more time on your feet at an easy, conversational pace will give you the most benefit at this point. If you are running 3 days a week, try to run 4. If you typically run 5 miles, run 6. This will give you a more developed aerobic base which will help you to run that 10K at a faster pace.
  • OnionMomma
    Options
    Thanks Carson!

I've been running for about 15 months but just got serious about it. I have about 20 pounds left to drop and I'm sure that will help me as well.

I am wondering, I have looked through Hal Higdon's intermediate training program. (the novice one looks too easy). Would this be too hard for me? I don't have access to a gym anymore, I have to train at home with what I've got around the house, which isn't much. I have a 5lbs 10lbs and 15lbs set of dumbbells. When I was at the gym prior to putting it on hold, I was lifting 3 days per week, so I know how to lift weight just don't have access to it.

The most I have ever run at one time was 8.5 miles (this past summer) and I've done that more than once. If I slow my pace down enough, I can go for at least 2 hours (around a 11 to 12 min mile pace).

I agree, I don't think I'm going to be able to decrease my time with this short of a turn around time.

I am also possibly looking to do a half at the end of September. (still trying to work up to the courage to register)