Is this a dumb idea?

Options
Ok, I've never, ever, ever had a good experience with post marathon shuttle service, as I'm sure some can relate.

For my next HM, I'm going to park at a Wendy's and ride my bike to the start area (close to the finish), chain it, and when it's over (and I'm lucid), hop on it and ride back to my car, grab my post-race burger and head out. The only drawback I can think of is inclement weather. The last think I want to do is immediately walk/hobble to my car.

Is this a dumb idea, or is it perhaps the most brilliant idea that's never been done in marathon history?

Replies

• schmenge55
    schmenge55 Posts: 745 Member
    Options
    How far? My local half is about 1.5 miles from my house. I bike it every year.
  • ZenInTexas
    ZenInTexas Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Yeah, how far? We were a mile and a half from the finish of ours yesterday and had wanted to walk but there were no sidewalks. It took us a hour to drive that mile and a half afterwards because traffic was a total nightmare, the race course pretty much boxed in all the parking lots. :noway: I think if it's under a couple miles its the most brilliant idea ever.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    I don't know how far a Wendy's is, but you can plug in any tame, low-traffic parking lot for this within a mile or so. I can see the look on peoples' faces now. Would this violate the "don't try anything new on race day" rule?
  • RunnerElizabeth
    RunnerElizabeth Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    Yup, how far? I have a 2 mile walk after my October half marathon. Last year i didn't have any skin left on my legs after the race. I wanted to puke by the time i got to the train. Awful!! So it may be a brilliant idea, but back up plans are good too. Is it impossible to get back to your car if you take the shuttle?
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    Options
    It's just inconvenient, and I'm lazy
  • ZenInTexas
    Options
    I would do it.
  • RunnerElizabeth
    RunnerElizabeth Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    It's just inconvenient, and I'm lazy

I got that part. ;-) I mean in an emergency situation, like you aren't in the hospital, but not up for a bike ride. If you took the shuttle, would you be able to get back to your car and collect the bike after? If so, then there is really no reason not to do it.
  • ATT949
    ATT949 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    Ok, I've never, ever, ever had a good experience with post marathon shuttle service, as I'm sure some can relate.

For my next HM, I'm going to park at a Wendy's and ride my bike to the start area (close to the finish), chain it, and when it's over (and I'm lucid), hop on it and ride back to my car, grab my post-race burger and head out. The only drawback I can think of is inclement weather. The last think I want to do is immediately walk/hobble to my car.

Is this a dumb idea, or is it perhaps the most brilliant idea that's never been done in marathon history?

Do it. Great distance for the warm up run.

I ride my GoldWing to races. It's a big bike but there's always a spot for me to stash it somewhere.
  • schmenge55
    schmenge55 Posts: 745 Member
    Options
    The reason I ask how far is that is far not a good leg exercise before the run.
  • UrbanRunner81
    UrbanRunner81 Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    If it isn't far I would do it.
  • amandamurdaugh
    amandamurdaugh Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    sounds like a good idea to me
  • SillyC2
    SillyC2 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    How are the roads between the finish and Wendys? The major drawback I could see would be post-race traffic and getting squished. I wouldn't do this where I live (New England) because the narrow cracked roads full of frost heaves are a challenge to bike on with NO traffic.
  • DavidMartinez2
    DavidMartinez2 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    I think it's a terrible idea; who wants to eat Wendy's?
  • ZenInTexas
    Options

:laugh:
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    Options

I would prefer 5 Guys or Smashburger, but there are none in the vicinity :(