When to get a Weightlifting Belt?

Options
luce3003
luce3003 Posts: 31 Member
Hello all!!

I might be a bit ahead of myself here (only 2 sessions in!!) but was wondering 1) if any of you ladies use/have found a benefit to wearing a belt while lifting and 2) when did you get one??

I'm on fairly 'light' weights at the moment and (touch wood) am not having trouble with my back but when I see the guys in the gym lifting they all seem to have belts (obv lifting much heavier weights than me - at the moment anyway!! :tongue: )

Do I wait til I am getting an achey back and need extra support or do I invest in one now and potentially avoid the pain...?

Thanks xxx

Replies

• glwerth
    glwerth Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I use one for dead lifts only. I don't find I need it on any of the others.

It made the dead lifts much easier and (I think) safer for me once I hit about 195 pounds. I'm at 223 now and it is hard, but not straining my back at all. It also reminds me of my form.
  • krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    I'm of the mindset that I'll avoid any additional "weightlifting aids" for as long as I can. IE: I only use my straps when my grip is completely shot and I risk dropping the bar on my deadlifts, or when I'm doing a loooong set for reps.

I do own a weight belt (paid 5$ for it. Not top notch quality but it was hard to pass) but I've never used it nor plan to any time soon. I figure it's probably better to learn to keep your core tight without the belt before slapping it on. :)
  • lwoodroff
    lwoodroff Posts: 1,431 Member
    Options
    I use it for my one prior and top set squats, as krokador says you don't want to compromise your own core strength. it does help, though, especially with having had 2 c sections!

I also use it on top set deadlifts for stabilisation of my core.

I'm waiting for my new belt to arrive... .. I'm using a second hand 2 prong one at the moment and it's a workout in itself to get on!
  • girlie100
    girlie100 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    I have a belt and use it for squat and deadlifts when working above 85% of my 1RM.

If you are following 5x5 I wouldn't bother with a belt until you get to the point where you have moved on to a more intermediate programme and are struggling to progress, not saying that a belt is a magic answer to a progression stall mind you.
  • jstout365
    jstout365 Posts: 1,686 Member
    Options
    I haven't used one yet. I will get one when I feel that I need the extra support in maintaining form in squats and DL, but I think I have a ways to go for that.
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    I use one for dead lifts only. I don't find I need it on any of the others.

Same here, and I only use it for working sets.
  • luce3003
    luce3003 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Thanks all :-D xxx
  • Fittreelol
    Fittreelol Posts: 2,535 Member
    Options
    I would also like to clarify: a belt is a tool to help you lift more weight. It is NOT a safety device.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    I prefer to work on core strength and stability. I am not one to use aids until absolutely necessary.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    I saw an interesting suggestion on the main forums of getting one earlier than you would expect. Basically, it came up in a discussion where were talking about how to tighten your core during lifts. Many people suck in, which is opposite of what you want to do. You want to expand your abdominals outward as if pushing against a lifting belt. I had mentioned that it is hard after a year of sucking in to learn to tighten your core correctly. Someone suggested getting a weight belt to just use every now and then to check and make sure you're activating your core properly.

It was an interesting thought, but I'm not sure I want to spend on a lifting belt just yet if it's just a check.
  • rlw911
    rlw911 Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I saw an interesting suggestion on the main forums of getting one earlier than you would expect. Basically, it came up in a discussion where were talking about how to tighten your core during lifts. Many people suck in, which is opposite of what you want to do. You want to expand your abdominals outward as if pushing against a lifting belt. I had mentioned that it is hard after a year of sucking in to learn to tighten your core correctly. Someone suggested getting a weight belt to just use every now and then to check and make sure you're activating your core properly.

It was an interesting thought, but I'm not sure I want to spend on a lifting belt just yet if it's just a check.

That is an interesting thought. I've always made a practice of sucking my stomach in, not when lifting, but all the time. It's really a struggle for me to push it out when lifting. I try to do yoga breathing, where you fill your lungs from the bottom up, but I really have to concentrate to make myself do it.