Lent, do you observe? I'm not Catholic, but I do...

Options
kimmieb2u
kimmieb2u Posts: 43 Member
I've done it in years past. Approximately 40 days before Easter I would give up something to honor God and spend extra time in prayer and Bible reading. He delivered me from Pepsi addiction one year. Every time I've done it, I have come away closer to God and "revived". I'm thinking about giving up bread, rice & pasta this year. Does anyone else participate in some kind of prayer & fasting before Resurrection Day (Easter)?

Replies

• Superwoman79
    Superwoman79 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Wow, I just had this conversation with my sister this morning about giving up bread for Lent. I go to a Pentecostal church but I wanted to sacrifice this year. I have never given up anything for Lent.
  • kimmieb2u
    Options
    I go to a Pentecostal church but I wanted to sacrifice this year. I have never given up anything for Lent.

I go to a Pentecostal church as well! No matter what the dates, a 40 day fasting of something you like/enjoy is a sacrifice and pleases the LORD. Especially when you add in extra time with Him!
  • MA_B
    MA_B Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    In our town the churches do an inter church Lent Group network - where we all share reading and studying the same book and meet in homes across the town with all groups having a mix of people from lots of different churches and denominations. It is really interesting to meet with and share with people we don't usually - we regularly find more common ground than differences. We have been doing this for years and have many friends through it. Taking up one evening a week instead of TV - it's totally worth it and I'm looking forward to starting again next week!

As to giving up things - in the past I've given up chocolate and put the money into a lent box collection - I've paid a penny into a collection box every time I've used the loo - this all added up!! This year ... don't know if I'm doing anything other than Lent Group.
  • IIIIISerenityNowIIIII
    IIIIISerenityNowIIIII Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    I'm not Catholic but attend the Episcopalian church my husband was raised in and we were married.

I am going to be more focused on Biblical studies instead of giving up something.
  • jmnicholas
    jmnicholas Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Not Catholic either, and currently looking for a new church...

However, my husband and I have agreed to do a 40 bags in 40 days decluttering challenge. Hopefully it will kick our terrible hoarding habits out!
  • KaelaLee88
    KaelaLee88 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Oh, I didn't know that Lent observance was a Catholic Tradition!

I try to give something up and take something up for Lent every year. This year I am giving up cussing at other drivers on the road and I am taking up building people up whenever possible!

This is the first year that I've followed a Reading Plan and I love how focussed it's keeping me on God's Word.

Blessings to you all over Lent and approaching Easter.

Kaela x
  • bluetulip4
    bluetulip4 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I have just started the 40 bags challenge to get rid of and donate stuff we no longer need too. We dont do lent at our church but spending time focusing on God is always good.
  • MA_B
    MA_B Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    We had our first Lent meeting this evening - all the groups started together. We sat next to a couple and during the discussion found out that their daughter was moving to the city that our son is in for Uni. My husband is travelling down to collect him for the Easter holidays with an empty car the weekend they are transporting her to live there! So, he can take some of her cases/boxes down with him to save them squashing everything in! We hadn't met them before! Wow, that is just amazing!
  • kimmieb2u
    Options
    This year I am giving up cussing at other drivers on the road and I am taking up building people up whenever possible!

This is the first year that I've followed a Reading Plan and I love how focussed it's keeping me on God's Word.

Blessings to you all over Lent and approaching Easter.

Kaela x

Wow, that's a high goal (I'm a little bad at it myself, especially when someone beeps me and I didn't do anything wrong).

I'm following a reading plan on my Bible app. This is the first year I'm doing that and I'm both enjoying it and being "brought to my senses" so to speak. The Holy Spirit has been showing me a few things I've either not noticed or ignored in the past. I'm ashamed to admit that. However, my sins are under the blood and I am refocussing my attention on hearing the call of the Lord and answering appropriately. :-)

I hope everyone who has responded to this topic has a full cup by Easter. Blessings to you and may God be Glorified!
  • kimmieb2u
    Options
    You know, I wish I could "like" posts on the group message boards.