DragonflyF15 Posts: 437 Member
Being tempted?
Falling off the wagon?
Feel free to post here.

Replies

• ReluctantDieter88
    ReluctantDieter88 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I posted on facebook that I'm giving up alcohol for Lent, and I think my friend who is visiting me this weekend is disappointed. It's already hard to give it up!
  • karenertl
    karenertl Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I posted on facebook that I'm giving up alcohol for Lent, and I think my friend who is visiting me this weekend is disappointed. It's already hard to give it up!

I was just trying to think of something good to give up for Lent. This challenge came at a perfect time!
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    My birthday is March 20th and I am really struggling in my mind if I should drink or not. I told my sister I gave it up for Lent and she laughed at me! So now I am determined!
  • onematch
    onematch Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Yep, I'm struggling. It's just a habit, you know, so it's 6pm, I must have a drink. Ugh. I know tomorrow will be easier though.
  • DragonflyF15
    Options
    I think the key is to have a plan for every situation. 6pm is your daily wine time? Perhaps stock up on some herbal teas or fruit spritzers to pour into a pretty glass instead?

If you are trying to follow Lent rules, you do know that you are allowed to have off days on Sundays http://catholicism.about.com/b/2008/02/29/reader-question-should-we-fast-on-sundays.htm just don't over indulge, thus the 2 standard drink maximum. If you want, I guess you can wait until midnight Saturday to kick back a few cocktails :) lol.

If you aren't doing this for religious reasons, I've allowed one day a week off from the challenge, but again only 2 standard sized drinks maximum. If anything, it's about cutting back, but I understand and respect those who want to give it up as a sacrifice for religious reasons.

Social pressure is the worst, and in the past I've done a few of these challenges before. Even worse to deal with folks who are already drinking and noticing your aren't. I order a cranberry sprite and ask for a lime. Most assume vodka or gin is in there and haven't had much of an issue. Way I see it, if someone asks you why you aren't drinking, just say you are taking a break for lent, or to cut down on calories to reach your weight goals. If they push again, politely decline again. If they keep pushing, you might have to question their intentions. Perhaps they are struggling with their own personal issues with it. It's not different than friends trying to sabotage your diet by constantly giving you cupcakes.

Start planning ahead of time for those drinking situations in finding alternatives. Go for a walk at the end of the work day. Have a glass of spritzer with fresh fruit while cooking dinner. Sit with a cup of tea to unwind your day. Suggest movies, bowling or if the weather warms up, biking with friends as alternatives to girls night/day out. My favorite Mexican restaurant will make me a margarita with their house mix, a bit of sprite, splash of orange juice and grenadine if feel the need to splurge on a few calories. I just won't be drunk and order more drinks or food :)
  • workout_junkee
    workout_junkee Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    So far it has not been bad. Next weekend will be the hardest. We are going on a mini vacation with friends. No Alcohal will be tough. I am already dreading it :-(.
  • caroldavison332
    caroldavison332 Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    Consider doing something with your hand at the time you normally drink. Make bread. Bowl..bike.

And I agree with the above regarding pressure to drink. Consider their intentions.
  • dbanks80
    Options
    I am so proud of myself I made it through the weekend with NO drink!!!! Yaaaaayyyyy me!!!!

I had plans for dinner and moives and bowling with friends Friday and Saturday and I didnt have one alcoholic beverage!! I am so proud of myself because I normally would have caved in!! Espeically because my husband had a drink!
  • DragonflyF15
    Options
    That's awesome Dbanks!

Workout_Junke, Why are you dreading not drinking? The pressure from others? Feel like you can't have fun without it?

It's a bit of awkwardness the first time being out in a drinking social, and it made me take a deeper look at myself when I first did one of these non-drinking challenges. After doing a 30 day challenge, it made me look at alcohol differently. It feels exhilarating the day after a potential drinking situation, and you wake up hangover free and going for a Sunday hike or long bike ride instead :)

Hope everyone made it through the 1st week! If not, that's ok, come back on and try again :)
  • Meg5065
    Meg5065 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Hi, all,
    I haven't posted to the group before, but I did decide to give up alcohol for Lent. I actually stopped drinking wine the week before lent started after reading an awesome book: How to Quit Drinking Easily, by Jason Vale. After I finished the book I didn't really want a drink at all for a whole week. I really need to cut out the wine calories, if for no other reason (though there are plenty of reasons to quit alcohol if it's something that's hard to take or leave, I'm told...)

I'm Greek Orthodox, so Lent began last Monday, and I had been alcohol free for a whole week by then, but slipped on that first day and ate too much & had too much brandy to drink. Then I spent the week thinking about having a drink, but managed because of Lent to refrain. I've been keeping the Lenten orthodox fast (no meat, dairy, eggs or fish--basically vegan with occasional shellfish thrown in, no wine except on weekends), and have succeeded in staying off the booze, even this weekend, when the fast is relaxed & alcohol is permitted. Found a great website, http://thegreekvegan.com, and have been making delicious vegan meals that are healthy and help me keep within my calorie goals.

I feel very glad to be not indulging, and I'm sleeping better and feel LOTS better. I've even lost 4 pounds in the last two weeks, what with logging everything and abstaining from my evening wine. Yay!!!
  • DragonflyF15
    Options
    Hi Meg, welcome to the group and thanks for sharing! I will have to check out the Greek vegan site as I've been wanting to cut back on meat as well. Not for Lent, just in general. It's nice to wake up on a Sunday with the mind not foggy and the body energized :)
  • Marigny23
    Marigny23 Posts: 19
    Options
    Hooray for making it through the first weekend successfully! Congrats to all who did, and to those who may have stumbled, jump right back on the band wagon! It won't leave you behind!

I just wanted to share my own struggle with the challenge in hopes that someone may be able to provide some words of encouragement or advice. The first week wasn't a particular struggle for me personally.

I am a weekend drinker only (just too tired during the week to truly enjoy my favorite vice…mmm vino!), so the week went by soberly - like usual. The weekend wasn't even a particular struggle since it is not unusual for me to go a weekend or two without drink when trying to loose some weight.

However, in the past, whenever I have given up or restricted my alcohol consumption to an immense degree, there was always some planned "cheat day" within a week or two where I allowed myself some indulgence.

When I approach this challenge one weekend at a time, it doesn't seem to bother me too much. I don't miss alcohol all that much in the moment. This past weekend was a lot of fun without it - had a picnic at a nearby baseball game. Caught up on all the Redbox movies I'd missed, went to the driving range to hit some golf balls. Very pleasant.

HOWEVER (and this is the big however), when I look at the challenge of going 6 weeks without my guilty pleasure vino, I do feel somewhat anxious. At that point, I do miss it, and the challenge becomes much more difficult. I know I should just regard this challenge a day at a time and break it up into bits, but it is hard sometimes to not think of the big picture and the difficulty involved in 6 weeks of fasting and forgoing alcohol.

Has anyone had the same experience or care to share any advice on how to stay in the moment rather than being overwhelmed by the big picture?
  • Meg5065
    Meg5065 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    My biggest help at the moment is my food log. I really want to lose weight, and the calories in our vino really add up fast. I think, "well, today I have eaten all my calories, so today I can't have any wine." I am feeling enough better not drinking that I am hoping to actually stay alcohol free, but thinking in terms of the lenten fast (as in today is a no-wine day; we'll see what happens later when later comes) has helped me get through some of the bothersome thoughts about wine.

i'd be interested to hear others' strategies.

Meg
  • dbanks80
    Options
    Hi, all,
    I haven't posted to the group before, but I did decide to give up alcohol for Lent. I actually stopped drinking wine the week before lent started after reading an awesome book: How to Quit Drinking Easily, by Jason Vale. After I finished the book I didn't really want a drink at all for a whole week. I really need to cut out the wine calories, if for no other reason (though there are plenty of reasons to quit alcohol if it's something that's hard to take or leave, I'm told...)

I'm Greek Orthodox, so Lent began last Monday, and I had been alcohol free for a whole week by then, but slipped on that first day and ate too much & had too much brandy to drink. Then I spent the week thinking about having a drink, but managed because of Lent to refrain. I've been keeping the Lenten orthodox fast (no meat, dairy, eggs or fish--basically vegan with occasional shellfish thrown in, no wine except on weekends), and have succeeded in staying off the booze, even this weekend, when the fast is relaxed & alcohol is permitted. Found a great website, http://thegreekvegan.com, and have been making delicious vegan meals that are healthy and help me keep within my calorie goals.

I feel very glad to be not indulging, and I'm sleeping better and feel LOTS better. I've even lost 4 pounds in the last two weeks, what with logging everything and abstaining from my evening wine. Yay!!!

Good for you!! I have to agree with you on the sleep part. I am sleeping like a rock and it feels great not waking up with a headache!