Quick Question?

Options
I went to the doctor a week ago Wednesday and she told me she was pretty sure I had PCOS based on my symptoms, but would do lab work to find out for sure. She was so confident though, that she went ahead and started me on Metformin. I got a letter in the mail yesterday with my lab results and all my levels and both my A1C and Glucose levels were extremely amazing and considered normal. If PCOS makes you insulin-resistant, wouldn't they have been high if I had PCOS? Any feedback would be great!

Niki

Replies

• macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    From what I understand, there are two types of PCOS. One is insulin-resistant, one not.
  • lmhbuss
    lmhbuss Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Being insulin resistant will not affect your HgA1C...unless you get to the point where you have actually become a type II diabetic...or at least that's my understanding (not super informed on such things). Your A1C actually measures your average blood sugar over several months...so even diabetics can have a totally normal A1C if they are managing their blood sugars well...it's actually one of the ways that doctors measure how well blood sugars are being managed by diabetics. The blood tests that your doctor is running to look for PCOS are actually hormone level tests.
  • pennyp00
    pennyp00 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I actually had an ultrasound and the doctor showed me the cysts and that combined with all of the other stuff got me diagnosed with pcos. My a1c has always been normal but I am insulin resistant. The doctot looked at a bunch of numbers that were within the normal range but with all of the other factors in play he put me on metphormin so I wouldn't become diabetic. But I also undetstand that there is a non insulin resistant pcos.
  • wamydia
    wamydia Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Not everyone who has PCOS has blood sugar problems. My blood tests were perfect. Your doctor should be diagnosing based on the symptoms you present (ie. hirisutism, obesity, irregular periods, etc.) and an ultrasound to verify the presence of cysts. The bloodwork is really just to determine if you are having other common PCOS-related problems like insulin resistance and high cholesterol.
  • truddy6647
    truddy6647 Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    I too was placed on met form in before any bold work results brought back and I also had normal blood sugar levels today I take 2000mg of metformin. I was told that this will also help if you r looking to have a child and have Pcos