157 lbs to lose, stronglifts 5x5 waste of time?

Options
Supadoopafly
Supadoopafly Posts: 248 Member
Is lifting complimentary to weight loss of a significant amount?

Replies

• krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    More muscles = more calories burned. So yes, lifting would help a lot! As long as you're at a caloric deficit you're going to lose fat. And if you lift heavy enough you'll also gain some strength and be able to push yourself further and be overall healthier and stronger.

It might be slower than the endless cardio approaches at first, but paired with the right diet it's a miuh better lifestyle change IMO. There's something about attacking the weights that seems to bring confidence and a brighter outlook on things. I think that's more valuable IMO than the "shortcut to weight loss" of the week.

Now, not saying you don't need to do some cardio. But there are ways to make it much more interesting than hours on the treadmill/elliptical :)

Just my 2 cents.
  • jstout365
    jstout365 Posts: 1,686 Member
    Options
    With 157 lbs to lose, there are many benefits to adding strength/resistance training into the mix. First, it will help you maintain muscle mass that you currently have while eating in a calorie deficit. Second, it is great for maintaining bone density. Third, and this one varies from person to person, but being stronger often leads to being more confident and taking on more activities.

I would suggest you also do cardio work to help burn additional calories. It isn't a one or the other type of thing. A balanced approach will give you what you are looking for. Lifting 3 days a week and moderate cardio 2-3 times a week will get you started on a good path. Diet is also a major component to all this and you will need to balance the deficit in relation to the workload you do.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I agree with Krok and jstout for sure.
  • glwerth
    glwerth Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I have a lot to lose, at least as much as you do.

I've reshaped my body quite a bit, people ask if I've lost even though my eating has been out of control (got to get back on that) and I have not lost anything.

Just do it, you won't regret it.
  • Supadoopafly
    Options
    Thanks guys... really fantastic replies. I enjoy lifting anyway. However it does annoy me when people tell me to constantly concentrate on cardio. I don't, but sometimes I do get a crisis of confidence. I admit I like being strong .. at 324lbs I can handle a few push-ups so I'm not doing too badly uh?

:-)
  • Supadoopafly
    Options
    More muscles = more calories burned. So yes, lifting would help a lot! As long as you're at a caloric deficit you're going to lose fat. And if you lift heavy enough you'll also gain some strength and be able to push yourself further and be overall healthier and stronger.

It might be slower than the endless cardio approaches at first, but paired with the right diet it's a miuh better lifestyle change IMO. There's something about attacking the weights that seems to bring confidence and a brighter outlook on things. I think that's more valuable IMO than the "shortcut to weight loss" of the week.

Now, not saying you don't need to do some cardio. But there are ways to make it much more interesting than hours on the treadmill/elliptical :)

Just my 2 cents.

My schedule as thus:

Sunday, Tuesday, Thursday - Couch to 5k program

Wednesday, Friday, Saturday - Strong lifts 5x5 (+ cardio afterwards)

I'm staying away from structured classes for the time being as I want to do my own thing and get into a structured core routine. I want classes to be an added extra as I get fitter. I've already had people bug me about going to Body Pump ... I like Body Pump, but I want to concentrate on good form at my own pace.
  • jstout365
    jstout365 Posts: 1,686 Member
    Options
    Body pump is a great class, but probably not for you. When I made the switch from body pump to lifting in the free weights area, I got a few questions from other class participants. my basic answer was "I want to work on improving overall strength and I can't do that if I'm constantly lifting the same weight. I want to squat more than 50 lbs." After some time many of them were kind of impressed at my numbers and also how my body had transformed.

And that sounds like a good schedule. Just keep at it, take extra rest days when you need them and don't feel bad if you need a refeed day or two. Those will happen, most commonly after a heavy deadlift day. :happy: