Shoe question

Options
Ok y'all, I've been fitted several times and the verdict is always a stability shoe. I've gone from Asics Kayanos, to Brooks Adrenalines, and I'm currently nearing 300 miles in my Mizuno Wave Inspires. The fitting I got here was the most thorough I've gotten, and the guy mentioned that the whole stability thing didn't really matter considering how I strike (I'm mostly a front/mid striker).

For you front/mid strikers out there, do you wear "traditional" running shoes, or ones that are optimized for front/mid striking, like Newtons? I feel like I'm not getting what I really need out of the shoes I buy since I don't really use the rear of it - about all I feel in the back is heel coverage, and occasionally the heel grazing the pavement when I'm bouncing off the front, but not a lot. The structural nature of the shoe is to correct how one rolls from heel to the toe, right? That's what I'm getting at.

I am not into minimalist shoes, but I do wear Mizuno Wave Ekidens (flats) for racing/speedwork. The word "Vibrams" is forbidden in any replies :)

Replies

• TriLifter
    TriLifter Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    No vibrams because they're ugly, or because of the feel? Obviously, I'm a huge vibram fan, but if you want the same feel in a more attractive shoe, Merrell vapor glove. That's what I wear as my hang out kicks.
  • DavidMartinez2
    DavidMartinez2 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    I do most of my runs in Kinvara, I switch to Cortana for long runs (>13 miles).
  • ATT949
    ATT949 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    Ok y'all, I've been fitted several times and the verdict is always a stability shoe. I've gone from Asics Kayanos, to Brooks Adrenalines, and I'm currently nearing 300 miles in my Mizuno Wave Inspires. The fitting I got here was the most thorough I've gotten, and the guy mentioned that the whole stability thing didn't really matter considering how I strike (I'm mostly a front/mid striker).

For you front/mid strikers out there, do you wear "traditional" running shoes, or ones that are optimized for front/mid striking, like Newtons? I feel like I'm not getting what I really need out of the shoes I buy since I don't really use the rear of it - about all I feel in the back is heel coverage, and occasionally the heel grazing the pavement when I'm bouncing off the front, but not a lot. The structural nature of the shoe is to correct how one rolls from heel to the toe, right? That's what I'm getting at.

I am not into minimalist shoes, but I do wear Mizuno Wave Ekidens (flats) for racing/speedwork. The word "Vibrams" is forbidden in any replies :)

The need for a "stability" shoe is an issue that interested me when I started running. The sales rep at Road Runner Sports put me into Nike Equalon's due to my weight (I was 220 at the time) and because the guy said I needed a "stability" shoe.

The Nikes "worked fine" for me but that was a low expectation since I hadn't exercised in 22 years. The soles on the Nike's wore flat so I decided to go with Newton Sir Isaac's but I was still in the motion control mindset so I got the Sir Isaac S.

By the time I needed another set of sneaks, I had read enough to believe that as a mid/front-footer, "stability" was not of any value to me. The theory behind stability is that, as you roll forward from the heel, the ankle pronates so the medial post, and all of the other goodies, help your foot from "over pronating". Pronation is normal and needed to allow the ankle to lock but, from what I've read, there's disagreement about how much pronation is "over pronation". At that point in my journey, I decided to switch away from motion control and have used "performance neutral" shoes, in Road Runner Sports parlance.

Next after the Sir Isaacs were the Newton Gravity. I felt no negative effects of not having a stability shoe and have run on Gravity for about 1k miles now.

The Gravity is a great shoe for me but the price isn't so I picked up a pair of Kinvarra's in October and have run with them a few times. It's possible that the KV's aren't good for me because I had pain in the tibialis anterior for the first two times I ran in them but they were fine for the last two runs. The nice thing about the KV is that they're a 4mm drop, they're lightweight, and they have a good amount of cushion.

With the release of new models a few weeks ago, Gravity were on sale at about $100 a pair so I picked up two pair which I'll use when my current pairs crap out.

Based on my last few runs in the Kinvarra's, I will probably start running in them more regularly.

Other shoes that are on my (now aging) list:

Adidas adiZero Mana
    ASICS Speedstar 6
    ASICS HyperSpeed 4

Men's Saucony Grid Fastwitch 6
    NB Minimus Zero v
    Virrata (the 0 drop kin to the KV)