Need major help learning to squat

Options
Jinxed myself with my super uber excitement over my Oly set. Did all my reading, and watching videos on correct form and everything and go to start and my squat, well, sucks. My current problems.

1. Lose balance
2. heels come up unless my stance is super wide, even with curling my toes.
3. Can barely get my arms in right position.

Any ideas on what to do?

Replies

• girlie100
    girlie100 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    You need to start with bodyweight squatting before adding even just the bar. First of all work on getting depth, you can do this by holding onto either side door handle of an open door to keep your balance and work on getting lower and focusing your weight on your heels.

Work on the ankle mobility and stretches to loosen the calf and give you adequate flexion in the ankle to keep your heels on the floor, in the mean time you can prop your heels up on weight plates/book/wooden block about 0.5 - 0.75 inches to counteract the heel lift.

Once you are happy with balance you can squat with a broom handle, if poor shoulder mobility is preventing you from holding the bar as demonstrated then move your grip out wider and work on bringing it in.

Also look up on youtube ankle/hip/shoulder mobility for ideas on working on these areas and happy lifting:drinker: :bigsmile:
  • amethyst70
    Options
    Thanks. So does that mean I can't start at all on strong lifts, or is it really just better to wait until I have my squat down? Thanks in advance.
  • rdkstar
    rdkstar Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I started not being able to do a single (no weight) squat. I had to work my way up. When I finally was able to do 20 non-stop that is when I started adding small weights like holding 10 pound dumbells. My progress has been slow but it has been so worth it.

I would go ahead and start on SL. You are not going to add 5 pounds every time but that is ok. Work on form and do what you can for now for each of the exercises. I found the bench press easy so I started working that right away like in the program. The other lifts took me awhile.

It is amazing how fast you can progress on this. And I started with a bad knee.

Good luck and let me know if you have questions.
  • amethyst70
    Options
    I started not being able to do a single (no weight) squat. I had to work my way up. When I finally was able to do 20 non-stop that is when I started adding small weights like holding 10 pound dumbells. My progress has been slow but it has been so worth it.

I would go ahead and start on SL. You are not going to add 5 pounds every time but that is ok. Work on form and do what you can for now for each of the exercises. I found the bench press easy so I started working that right away like in the program. The other lifts took me awhile.

It is amazing how fast you can progress on this. And I started with a bad knee.

Good luck and let me know if you have questions.
    I can do squats with dumbells fine, so it is frustrating to me, but I think I will just keep trying and move along as I can. Great advice! Thanks!
  • jstout365
    jstout365 Posts: 1,686 Member
    Options
    Girlie covered the mobility stuff, but you may also try throwing in box squats to help work on balance.
  • amethyst70
    Options
    Girlie covered the mobility stuff, but you may also try throwing in box squats to help work on balance.

Looking up all this stuff on you tube. Thanks!