Adding another running day

Options
I am slowly on my way back to increasing my mileage and reaching my goal(Running a marathon by the end of this year, beginning of next year). I am considering adding a fourth running day in my plan. The plan I am using is one I came up with myself. I have been running 3 days per week (short run, medium run, long run). I have increased the short and medium runs 1/4 mile per week and the long run 1/2 mile per week. I am now to where I run 3.5 miles on the short, 4.5 miles on the medium, and 6 miles on the long run. I've tried Hal Higdon and other plans, but wound up with overuse injuries (I had to stop when I reached 14 mile long runs). By following what I have been doing, my knees are happy (No hint of sore knees where they were starting to get sore at these miles with the other plans.)........................With that out of the way, should I incorporate a fourth running day into my weekly runs (Have this run start with a 1 mile run, and then add a mile per week for 3 weeks)? After 3 weeks start increasing each of my runs by a 1/4 mile? Should I do something else? I would appreciate any tips/advice/feedback

Replies

• CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    I would add another day before adding any more mileage. I can't even imagine training for a marathon running fewer than 5 days per week. You approach to adding mileage sounds very cautious. I usually suggest a 10% increase in overall weekly mileage. Hold there to two week, then cut back some in week three and then go up 10% more, lather, rinse, repeat.
  • saskie78
    saskie78 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I would probably pick up a plan again.This time, though, add in some runner-specific strength training to keep your knees and others bits and pieces happy and you should be able to follow a plan. Higdon is very beginner friendly. If you just do a google search for "runner specific strength training", you get lots of food for thought.
  • PrairieRunner2015
    PrairieRunner2015 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I have had a strength training program set up for me by a personal trainer. We went over my strengths and weaknesses (literally), as well as my goal of running a marathon, this fall/next spring, and came up with a lifting plan to help keep me in good shape for running.

I do agree it is a very cautious approach, but I just don't want to be sidelined again. I am planning on upping to a 5 day/week when I am up to 10 miles. I will look into Hal Higdon plans again. It very well could have been my lack of strength training which sidelined me the last 2 times.

I appreciate the feedback thus far.