Running in sports bra & shorts

Options
2»

Replies

• Zekela
    Zekela Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    whether I'm 100 pounds or 300 pounds I'm running in my sports bra and shorts if the weather permits. I not gonna be uncomfortable when I run. But then I have a don't give a eff attitude...
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    You probably wear less at the beach......

I have more of an issue with middle aged, flabby males running shirtless. :tongue:

What about middle aged, not flabby males?

Edit: I should add, I'm an advocate of equal-opportunity in skin exposure. I think middle-aged, flabby males *and* females, if they choose, should run shirtless / in jog bras when the weather heats up. I'd rather look at the fit females with washboard abs, but it's fine with me if others want to be comfortable too.

Me too. I love seeing people out there rocking it even when they aren't eyecandy.

I agree 100%! It's not about the way you look. If you are comfortable, go for it! The hard part is to feel comfortable haha

I already have to deal with stupid men thinking gawking and whistles are okay when I'm wearing tights and a jacket... (What happened to discreetly looking like Dave?) I wonder if it would get worst wearing only a sports bra? They are already doing it anyway! lol

I think *kitten* will be *kitten* no matter what. How you dress doesn't really affect other people's behavior.

There is one difference: I live in Atlanta and sometimes Moms with kids will give me judgy looks because "modesty" is a thing around here.
  • SillyC2
    SillyC2 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    If we're talking about heat....

Consider instead a bamboo tank?

I have a few of these from spreadshirts.....
    www.spreadshirt.com

They have "performance bamboo tanks by ALO".

The bamboo tanks are sort of a medium between quick dry and cotton, so they stay a bit damp and can help cool you off.

LOVE THEM! And they are so soft.
  • marikevr
    marikevr Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    From a safety perspective I won't although from a heat perspective it would be great.
  • SillyC2
    SillyC2 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    From a safety perspective I won't although from a heat perspective it would be great.

It sucks, doesn't it? I get more hoots from cars on the rare occasion that I run in a bra and shorts. :(.

But the main reason I do not is black flies. We have black flies here. With mosquitoes (which we also have a lot of), they are light and they fall off of you when you are running. But the black flies.... THWACK.... when you hit, they stick. And bite. And bite HARD.
  • TheBrolympus
    TheBrolympus Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    I am all for the sports bra and shorts. :)
  • beeblebrox82
    beeblebrox82 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    A guy from my local running store once said to me: "Everyone who isn't a runner and sees you running already thinks you're nuts, and everyone who runs understands; so why worry about how goofy your outfit looks?"

Case closed. :) run in what makes you comfortable.
  • _Josee_
    _Josee_ Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    A guy from my local running store once said to me: "Everyone who isn't a runner and sees you running already thinks you're nuts, and everyone who runs understands; so why worry about how goofy your outfit looks?"

Case closed. :) run in what makes you comfortable.

I love it!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    You probably wear less at the beach......

I have more of an issue with middle aged, flabby males running shirtless. :tongue:

What about middle aged, not flabby males?

Edit: I should add, I'm an advocate of equal-opportunity in skin exposure. I think middle-aged, flabby males *and* females, if they choose, should run shirtless / in jog bras when the weather heats up. I'd rather look at the fit females with washboard abs, but it's fine with me if others want to be comfortable too.

Probably just my own insecurities! :laugh: :laugh:
  • Justkeepswimmin
    Justkeepswimmin Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    I live in phoenix and it's so frekin hot most people are half naked when not working out in the summer....When I first moved here I was in shock at the skin everywhere!

So I guess it just depends on where you are - now it seems totally natural and far more comfortable but if you'd asked me 4 years ago I probably would have thought "no wayyyyy"

Myself - I wear sports skorts and tanks b/c I am too self conscious but if I had the body I'd sure be in sports bra and shorts. I only went down to bra once on a trail run where there weren't hardly any other people
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    To each their own. Go for it. Who cares what people think.
    Not to sound parental, and I might be paranoid but I personally wouldn't do it for safety concerns. I don't want that kind of attention and become a target and a victim of assault. I recently completed a rape defense class and now I think twice about my actions. But then again, I'm 4' 10" so I'm probably an easy target and assault happens a lot around here.

Show me one study that demonstrates that a woman's clothing makes her a target.

Age - yes (15% are under 12, 29% are between 12 and 17, 44% are under 18)
    Relationship to rapist - yes
    Alcohol consumed by rapist - yes
    Time of day - yes (in the day time, most rapists are at work)
    Clothing choice of victim - no
  • miladymarathoner
    miladymarathoner Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I live in Central America and won't run without a shirt on the streets because I would feel unsafe. I actually pay to run on the treadmill at a resort gym just so I can go shirtless. I would say to me it depends a lot on your environment, in fact more than your body. I would be inclined to do whatever is comfy as long as it isn't going to attract attention I don't want. I only run indoors or in a walled park because as a white girl, I get unwanted attention no matter what I wear if I run where there are cars going by. I don't like boots and hollers mostly because it makes me angry and not just because I feel unsafe. I always take my dog and locals are afraid of them. :-) that makes me feel pretty safe.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Last year I was too nervous to only wear a sports bra out, but I was also 30 lbs heavier. So this year I will hopefully muster up the courage to head out with only a sports bra.
  • Be11adonna
    Be11adonna Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Go for it, run in whatever makes you feel comfortable who cares, just run :wink:
  • UrbanRunner81
    UrbanRunner81 Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    I did last year. I don't care. I was hot, it was cold in the morning before I started running I was hot as we kept running.

I agree choice of clothing really isn't a factor when it comes to sexual assault.
  • CathOh
    CathOh Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    If it's 13 degrees celcius+, I'm out there in shorts and a t-shirt :-)