Rest times between sets

Options
SezxyStef
SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
I know the standard for the rest times is 5mins or less.

I have steadily increased my rest times to the point where I am now at 3 1/2mins for all my lifts except squats...I upped that to 3:45 today...

Just wondering ladies about your rest period and are mine too long.

Ref

Squat @ 175
Bench @ 118.5
OHP @ 90
Rows @ 118.5
DL @ 200 (no rest here of course)

Replies

• jstout365
    jstout365 Posts: 1,686 Member
    Options
    I would say no. I'm as little as a minute on bench (my strongest lift) and 3 min for squat.
  • Fittreelol
    Fittreelol Posts: 2,535 Member
    Options
    The only time I time all my rests is when I'm in a hurry and need to make sure I don't waste time. Then I use a timer app on my phone!

Otherwise the method to my madness:

For lighter warmup sets I just go by how I feel. This is NOT effective for me for working sets though as I won't wait long enough and I'll fail. For working sets I go by a different feel. If the previous was set was super easy I'll do like 2 minutes, if it feels normalish- hard but not too hard I'll do 3 and if it was really a struggle I'll do 4-5 depending on how hard it was. I just kind of watch the gym clock for these though so not super accurate to the second or anything.
  • hananah89
    hananah89 Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    I kind of do what tree mentioned. Most lifts its 2-3 minutes depending on how I feel. But for bench, row, ohp-if I don't wait long enough I'll struggle/fail. As for squats, if its my usual 6am before work workout then I'll wait around 4 minutes. Mainly because I'm just not stronger/fully awake at 6am and it takes more out of me. But if its after work or on the weekend, the rest times will be the 2-3 minutes.

ETA: I use the gym clock, so I'm estimating as well.
  • lwoodroff
    lwoodroff Posts: 1,431 Member
    Options
    For my squats particularly I use my phone timer and rest 5 mins between work sets. :-)
  • wolfsbayne
    wolfsbayne Posts: 3,116 Member
    Options
    I only rest a couple of minutes between worksets on all the lifts. I might benefit more if I waited longer, I just don't have the time. On Monday, however, when DF was with me and I only waited around 30-45 secs between work sets, I worked up a really good sweat and felt good (aside from my knee tightness).
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    Compound Lifts - 2-3 Minutes
    Isolation Lifts - 1 Minute

I have one of those Gym Boss timers so like the fitness geek that I am I use it to time my rest periods.
  • viglet
    viglet Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I was going based on what the ap says to do.... which I believe if 1 1/2 minutes if you didn't fail the lift.

I am not going to lie, there are times when I fail a lift and I *knoooow* I should wait the 5 minutes, but I just do it after 3 minutes or so to get it done. Probably terrible if I want to actually be successful!