omg hai?

Options
I'm trying so hard to not get caught up in the woe is me culture that seems to be everywhere else in the MS communities. I'm doing everything I can to make sure I am as healthy as I can be.
Just got a set of MRI results back, no new lesions!! YAY, go me!
I'm also just coming off of one of the most painful flare ups I have ever had... and I'm not letting it stop me. I'm kicking everything into high gear. I lost some weight while I was sick, I plan on keeping it off and converting that fat to muscle.
Hopefully you guys will like me and I'll learn some new awesome tips and tricks about being active with MS.

Replies

• bigldesigns
    bigldesigns Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Hi and welcome!!

Congrats on the No New Lesions!!

I cant really help you much with the keeping active part.. I'm a lazy S##T and a computer geek.. So I've never really been an active person.. (its not MS. its just me!) but I've still managed to knock off 70lb (32kg) with diet alone!

I guess eventually I'll have to get more active.. actually.. as I loose more weight.. I find my self less likely to refuse an outing just cause it involves walking...

I guess the only tip I know about exercise is - Be aware of your body temp.. if you get to warm, it can cause a pseudo flare (but the symptoms of that should easy as your body temp levels)

But If you need any tips or tricks on foods, I'd be glad to help if I can :)
    Im eating <1200ca - No dairy, Limited Gluten, No Added Sugar, Limited Processed Foods

Add me if you want to see my diary

Allie
  • seanezekiel
    seanezekiel Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I love the attitude. I generally avoid MS groups because they are mostly downers. Also love the reboot reference :)
  • lessofme65
    lessofme65 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    High five on your MRI results, no new lesions is awesome. I'm just trying to get back into this MFP again. I'm not huge on exercise but I do Leslie Sansone Walk Away the Pounds. Since walking is the first freedom I lose when I exacerbate I always feel good to be able to do it.
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    Welcome!
    I have had seasons where I couldn't handle the MS groups and other times when they were really helpful. I think people are more motivated to post on groups like that when they're going through a harder time (newly Dx'ed, a flare, dealing with lots of chronic issues) so you're naturally more likely to see a more negative picture there.

I had my first MS attack almost 13 years ago. I've lost about 30 lbs (down to a weight I haven't been since I was 20; I'm 37 now) and have taken up running and weight lifting. Currently training for a 10K, and I find that having MS helps motivate me to run b/c I don't take my ability to run for granted and want to make the most of it for as long as I can!
  • psmd
    psmd Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    Hi! I totally agree with you! I'm not perfect, but I feel like I try pretty hard. Of course I feel like I've been doing well and don't know how I would react if that changed. But for me, so far so good. I've lost almost 50 pounds since being diagnosed. I think one thing that keeps me going is "at least I can still exercise and be active now, what if I can't in the future?" Also my MRI's have looked better every year since being diagnosed and taking better care of myself, so that's motivating too. Feel free to add me if you like.