Keto Women: Cycle Issues?

Options
tiger_lily5
tiger_lily5 Posts: 38 Member
Hey ladies, this question is for you. Have any of you noticed a change in your cycle since being on keto? ie heavier or lighter periods, early or late on timing? Just curious if its affected you at all and if it was just a change in the beginning or it kept fluctuating.

Replies

• strawmama
    strawmama Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    My cycle cam early...like 2.5 weeks early my first month, but it has since leveled out to once a month. I have less cramping and stomach problems...big bonus.
  • LilMamaBear125
    LilMamaBear125 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I'm still like a clock on a timer here...
  • ABaggett2010
    ABaggett2010 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Last month it came a week early. This time...I'm like 2 weeks late! Not pregnant, got the back aches and occasional cramps....no AF yet! Plus on my scale my water % keeps going up as if I'm bloated, ugh! I'm ready for her to get here and get gone
  • ABaggett2010
    ABaggett2010 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I'm glad you asked bc i was coming here to ask this same question lol
  • karryann2008
    Options
    I've had only 2 cycles on keto, both pms was bad, more cramps and heavier! I'm hoping they will settle down!
  • snoopyjet
    snoopyjet Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Mine also came a week early, but I also added some extra exercise so maybe it was all things combined. I'm actually hoping to get pregnant so fingers crossed for the next one. Oh and regarding this, what is your opinion regarding pregnancy and keto?
  • tiger_lily5
    tiger_lily5 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    My cycle came 10 days early and lasted 3 days longer than normal. Not sure whether its the keto or something else. Going to keep monitoring it and this thread.
  • lovelayla
    lovelayla Posts: 123
    Options
    My cycle ONLY comes when I am keto or low carb.
  • Loseintime
    Options
    Today, I was asking myself the same question. This is my second month on Keto and this morning I started to feel all the Pre- menstrual symptoms. I am definitely 21/2 weeks early. Thank you for posting this. I would like to know more about it.
  • kittyneutron
    kittyneutron Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    This is my first period on Keto, and it seems to be kind of late. Annoying, I've been tracking my periods for years and they were finally getting close to normal. I still have 2 days until it's actually overdue, and I had mega lower back pain yesterday and today, so it might just be on its way.
  • crepes_
    crepes_ Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    If you've recently started keto, it's not unheard of. When I first started, my cycle got all out of whack for the first month but then everything went back to normal and afterwards slowly improved. I have PCOS, so my periods were pretty awful. After the craziness of the first month, the intensity seriously died down.
  • kittyneutron
    kittyneutron Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I'm kind of annoyed because I was scheduled to get an IUD in, but now I'm going to have to put it off until who knows when, since they normally put it in the last day of your period. Blah! I think my period is just really sensitive to any change.
  • dperri471
    dperri471 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I'm still kinda new to keto but my cycle did come almost a week and a half early this month and the cramps were 10 times more intense as well as the flow. But thankfully it ended sooner than usual. I wondered if this had something to do with being in ketosis. I too will monitor it and this thread. Thanks for the question!
  • mauribelarmino
    mauribelarmino Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Heh. I would've never put two and two together...

My period was two days early... I'm usually 28-29 days and this one popped up at 26! I didn't even think about it until this thread. It lasted the usual seven days but it was lighter than normal.. I'm usually on the heavy side. And no cramps!
  • EllieB_5
    EllieB_5 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    For a long time I've had super-heavy periods and cramps so bad I couldn't get out of bed. This last period was still super-heavy but the cramps were... normal. So weird, I didn't even think of a connection until you asked this question. I've only been on keto since Feb, so hopefully Niagara falls will calm to something more acceptable.

Thanks for asking this question!
  • meglizbo
    meglizbo Posts: 42
    Options
    The first month I was right on time and it was a breeze. I am usually crazy consistent so being two days late is a little weird for me! I have lots of signs that its coming though (bloated, water weight, lack of appetite/insane hunger on a rotating basis). We'll see what happens when I start (and when I actually start!)
  • Keto_T
    Keto_T Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    For a long time I've had super-heavy periods and cramps so bad I couldn't get out of bed. This last period was still super-heavy but the cramps were... normal. So weird, I didn't even think of a connection until you asked this question. I've only been on keto since Feb, so hopefully Niagara falls will calm to something more acceptable.

Thanks for asking this question!

Just FYI, I had the same issue, flow so heavy that it was hindering my life, couldn't go out without worrying about leaking and such. I finally did the cryo-ablation. It "helped" and periods were slightly lighter but still flood stage. I finally told my gyn I didn't need a uterus anymore...yank it out. He did and it's been fabulous.
  • Booksandbeaches
    Booksandbeaches Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    I'm very regular and this month it's taking forever to come. I know I'm know pregnant. Must be because of my first month on keto.
  • snoopyjet
    snoopyjet Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Sorry for ranting but this month I'm 2 weeks late. All this time I had a huge PMS, like never before. I'm not pregnant and it looks like I have a water (lutein) cyst and it completely messed up my hormones --> hunger and cravings. I feel so bloated and I even gained weight. I'm trying to stick to Keto but my calorie intake is so over my head... Well I hope it goes away soon as I hate feeling this way!

Anyway I just had to share and I hope everybody's having a "perfect cycle" :)
  • Booksandbeaches
    Booksandbeaches Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    Well mine came a week ago, but it was very late. My cycles are usually not late. And it was painful as could be. Other than that it was more or less the same as other cycles.