Hi, New and happy to have found weightlifting ladies

Options
Josalinn
Josalinn Posts: 1,066 Member
I did, SL over the summer, and then last semester was really bad schedule wise, so I was getting in what I could but the weights area was always packed.

At the end of last year, one of the trainers at the gym told me that SL was not for women and that I would basically "beef up." Which to be honest, scared me. :frown: He said something like "You don't want to look like a muscle bond man, do you?"

I would change gyms, but I really love the Zumba classes and the instructors there. Plus I can now get to the gym when the weight area isn't packed :bigsmile: .

This year, still scared of SL, I just worked on the weight machines and did my Zumba. And even on the machines I was able to progress in weight The month of March I've been very sick and had to back slide a bit with how much I can lift.:grumble:

But I was happy to find this group, because you have all seemed to have success and don't look like dudes. You have done the research and the work and made everything into pretty stickies, which I plan on reading with rapt attention.

Replies

• randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    If I had a nickle for everytime someone used the word "bulky" or said lifters "look like dudes", I would be rich.
  • Josalinn
    Josalinn Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    It just pisses me off that people who are not properly informed/trained are put in a position of teaching others.
  • rlw911
    rlw911 Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    It just pisses me off that people who are not properly informed/trained are put in a position of teaching others.

Me, too! I can understand not knowing about StrongLifts or even proper form on all the lifts. But, any trainer that tells a woman she will look like a muscle-bound man if she lifts heavy, should be hit over the head with a barbell! :explode:
  • rlw911
    rlw911 Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Oh, and welcome! This is a great group of very helpful, strong, beautiful WOMEN. As soon as you feel better, get to liftin'! :happy:
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    But, any trainer that tells a woman she will look like a muscle-bound man if she lifts heavy, should be hit over the head with a barbell! :explode:

Omg the mental picture I just got was FUNNY! :laugh: