Macros x 2

Options
__freckles__
__freckles__ Posts: 1,238 Member
Since SilentDrapeRunner got such great feedback from you lovely ladies on her macros I wanted to throw mine out there. I'm 5'8, around 140 lbs, bulking at 2400 calories. Carbs ~ 240g; protein ~ 180g, fat ~ 80g. I understand that macros are personal. Just wanted to get some feedback as my mom almost had a heart attack when I told her I was consuming 180 grams of protein per day. And from some of the comments I've read on other forums my fat intake may be too high, perhaps I need to decrease it and increase carbs? But what do you guys think?

ETA: After 5 1/2 weeks of bulking I've gained 4 lbs. 2lbs in just the last 2 weeks (not my TOM either, but I'm just going to roll with it as I know weight gain can be all over the place).

Replies

• HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    Your macros are fine, IMO. I upped to 30% fat intake as well and my body responded better. When cutting I take it down to 25%. There's no reason for it to be below 20% as it aides in hormone function.

Carbs are debatable. I think you could pull some macros from your protein and put them towards your carbs. But I'm someone that benefitted from my bulking carbs being above 45%. Even with cutting, I won't go lower than 40-45%. They're my energy source! At the end of the end of day though as long as you hit 140g in protein your fine. If some days you want more carbs, here you. Some days will be higher in protein.

Don't worry about mom. The older generation still beleives all the myths!
  • __freckles__
    __freckles__ Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    Your macros are fine, IMO. I upped to 30% fat intake as well and my body responded better. When cutting I take it down to 25%. There's no reason for it to be below 20% as it aides in hormone function.

Carbs are debatable. I think you could pull some macros from your protein and put them towards your carbs. But I'm someone that benefitted from my bulking carbs being above 45%. Even with cutting, I won't go lower than 40-45%. They're my energy source! At the end of the end of day though as long as you hit 140g in protein your fine. If some days you want more carbs, here you. Some days will be higher in protein.

Thanks Holly. I do tend to go over on carbs some days so I'll know not to sweat it. Love my carbs.

My mom thinks most of my ideas are insane so I'm sorta used to it. :)
  • sarahstrezo
    sarahstrezo Posts: 568 Member
    Options

Yep…I agree.

I did find it helpful to be closer to 50% on carbs when I was bulking. I had trouble continually gaining until I did that.
    Now that I'm cutting, I have a 40/30/30 macro ratio, but most days I'm closer to 45% carbs.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    They look pretty good.

I have found- and I've said this before- that when you are bulking- ball park the macro's- it's far less important that you nail those while bulking and way more important that you meet your MINIMUM calorie goal. Don't throw them away- but just get close enough.

I set my goal to 2000 + eat back calories- I've been allowing the base line number to creep as I've gained size and ye old metabolism speed up more.

and ignore your mom- you're fine with that much protein- I aim for 200 and I'm happy when I get over 150. it's fine. The less you eat- the more critical it becomes to hit the %'s but when you are bulking it's just not as narrow of a window/margin of error.
  • caseythirteen
    caseythirteen Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    I agree that during a bulk, going for higher carb and fat is a bit easier to get those calories in. Yummy and calorie dense things like avocado, nuts and ice cream are the way to go for me!

Right now I'm aiming for maintenance-ish so I've set my calories to 2200 (knowing weekends are always over so will likely average higher) and am going with 45% carbs (248g), 25% protein (138g), and 30% fat (73g). I'm 5'5" and weigh somewhere in the 120 range. I find that it's easier for me to get my calories in and feel good about what I'm eating with those numbers. Those are just ranges though - the numbers in all categories swing.

So I agree with the comments that maybe lower some protein and increase carbs if you are struggling with those numbers. Overall calories are important during the bulk!
  • pandorakick
    pandorakick Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    Fats seem allright to me, at 180 g the protein looks a bit high. But if it works for you, just keep it like it is!
  • TriLifter
    TriLifter Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    When I was bulking, I was eating 165g protein and I'm 5'6", 125 lbs. As long as you hit around 140, you should be fine, but more is definitely okay!