Vitamins

Options
capecodgirl50
capecodgirl50 Posts: 111 Member
Hi All,

I am scheduled for my sleeve surgery the end of March. As requested, I have been getting the items I would need after the surgery. I have a question about vitamins. I bought centrum multi-vitamin and a bottle of B12. Is this brand OK? Also, would I need to take extra B12s with my multi?

Any advice is appreciated. Also, let me know how you take tablets - crushed? split?

Replies

• shoppinglady1972
    shoppinglady1972 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    My Dr. had me do chewables at first, now 10 weeks out I do regular vitamins. I didn't (don't) take extra B12, but do as your doctor prescribes. I do take additional calcium as well.
    I would check with your doctor to see what he/she recommends!!
    Good luck to you!!
  • SibylDiane
    SibylDiane Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I took liquid vitamins (Wellesse) for the first four weeks after surgery, then switched to chewables (Trader Joe's High Potency). I know lots of sleevers who take the Centrum multivitamins so my assumption is they are fine.
    My surgeon clears patients to take tablets and capsules the day after surgery without splitting or crushing as long as they would fit through a normal size wedding ring, so I've never had to worry about dealing with tablets. I would say definitely consult a pharmacist before splitting or crushing anything, to make sure it isn't time-release or dependent on the proper digestion/absorption of the coating, etc.
  • Losing_Sarah
    Losing_Sarah Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Did your doctor give you a list or vitamins? If not ask them for one.

I personally have to take B-12 on top of my multi vitamin and some other stuff, but again, ask your surgeon or his nurse.

Good luck on your upcoming surgery!!