scared to restart...

Options
AABru
AABru Posts: 610 Member
About two weeks ago, I got clearance from my physical therapist to start strengthening my wrist. I have been working on grip strength since then, and the plan was that next week I would start lifting again. She didn't want me to lift. She thought that it was ridiculous that I was OHPing 90 pounds (probably her body weight) when I hurt my wrist (that was in October). She was adamant enough that I am doubting myself...seriously doubting the choice to pick up weights again.
I love lifting weights. I have loved it since middle school, but I am truly afraid of re-injury. I actually was thinking about a new career right before I hurt myself--one I can't do with no forearm strength. I know my wrist is significantly weaker than it was, but I don't want to brace it or wrap it as I think it will only discourage muscular growth. I think I just need a pat on the back and a "it'll be ok" from some other women who "get it," who recognize that fitness and joy come in all shapes and sizes... not just from 90 pound jazzercise bunnies (not knocking jazzercise...it has it's place too, but not in my life)...help?:brokenheart:

Replies

• kckBxer396
    kckBxer396 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I once had a physician tell me to stop lifting bc I would 'gain weight' and that's the opposite of what I need to do. :noway: In November, I broke my shoulder...and did plenty of damage to everything else in there. I still don't have full r.o.m., but have been trying lighter weights with it. If it hurts, I immediately discontinue! The way I look at it is, I may be several steps back.but I am building it to be stronger. I don't have it in a sling now because I don't want it to become frozen (again) and weak. I've also broken my: wrist, arm, ankle, foot, dislocated the left side of my ribs, dislocated a jaw ...erm..and a lot of other things doing the sports that I love. I keep going though,and know my limits. That's the important part. Don't stop doing what defines you. Become stronger and enjoy it again. Just be more careful this time.

erm....I am not a medical professional and all of this is my hardheaded, personal opinion. :wink:
  • Fittreelol
    Fittreelol Posts: 2,535 Member
    Options
    Pat on the back. There there.

I'm sure she is a fine physical therapist, but I thought the goal of pt was to make you able to enjoy life as you did before injury. Part of your enjoyment is lifting weights, so she kind of failed in that respect.

Plenty of athletes come back after an injury, and some of the injuries seem catastrophic. Maybe if you googled for some stories it would help reassure you that you can work past your injury to be better than before. Heck look at cpiton! She had an awesome comeback after months of pt and is dominating the barbell.
  • krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Jazzercise? I knew about prancersise, but that one is new. (Although probably not as silly/just plain wrong)

Anyway. There is nothing inherently wrong about lifting heavy weights. As long as you use proper form and do it smat, there really shouldn't be an issue.

Did the wrist injury come from doing the OHP? If anything, working on grip strength should encourage a stronger wrist, not the opposite. And if you keep doing the rehab/prehab exercises, then there should be less chances of reinjuring that same wrist further down the road (not saying it won,t happen. but more than likely, lifting will not be the cause of it).

That's my take, anyway. I'm not doctor though.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    My injury wasn't as significant but when I spoke to my friend who is a physio therapist and a lifter he told me this.

Let it heal, do what you need to do to make it better...don't lift if it hurts, do lifts to strengthen the muscle or area you hurt.

Then get back on the horse.

I did and yes it was scary and it sometimes still hurts (Like today) so I just take it easy, take some advil and stretch it out.

I suspect she isn't a lifter...ask her why she recommends not to lift...
  • AABru
    Options
    Did the wrist injury come from doing the OHP?
    Yes...95 pounds up and I heard a pop and my wrist had a sharp pain...and it took 6 months of bracing, ultrasound and range of motion exercises to get the swelling down and pain to go away. I don't wear the brace anymore, and have been working grip strength. Was thinking about light wrist curls next as an accessory to my big lifts...
  • AABru
    Options
    I suspect she isn't a lifter...ask her why she recommends not to lift...
    totally this ^^^. I also suspect that she couldn't lift even the bar. Which is fine, but not my MO. She recommended no lifting because like many females she didn't think women do...I was her first patient ever to injure myself lifting.
  • AABru
    Options
    Thank you ladies for helping to assuage my fears. I know I'm just psyching myself out and that I need to just grab the bull by the horns and make it into ground chuck...speaking of which...isn't it dinner time? :tongue: