true farm fresh eggs, no suffering

Options
13»

Replies

• fknlardarse
    fknlardarse Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Thank you. I was considering leaving this group due to not really fitting the philosophy. But I do want a place to talk about my choices and progression. I'm having no problem with the vegetarian diet, but I'm pushing toward the completely plant-based diet as much as old habits will let me.

This describes exactly where I am at too. (Not leaving the group but I don't quite fit the philosophy yet as I'm still exploring and learning and adapting my diet, I'm nowhere near vegan yet but I'm trying) I find this part of the forum very positive and supportive, I asked the same question about free range eggs and was directed to this thread, so I'm glad you asked this.
    There is a name (I googled lol) for someone who eats a vegan diet but also eats eggs (but no dairy) and it's an ovo-vegetarian (intriguing, I don't like labels personally but it was interesting to see there is a category for this type of diet choice).
    I have a feeling I won't give up eggs but will either need to get some rescue chickens again of my own or find someone I know where I can check the chickens' welfare.
    What they do to the male chicks is horrendous but i feel if someone can rescue battery chickens that were going to be killed, give them a good life, and use their eggs instead of wasting them, well that feels ok with me personally but I totally get why other people wouldn't eat them at all.
    I'm confused about the conflict in information about the health benefits. I have read a ton of information about how healthy they are, that the cholesterol doesn't in fact directly raise the bad cholesterol in our blood in fact it raises the good cholesterol and protects against the bad? It's really confusing.
  • Kenazwa
    Kenazwa Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    In response to the following comment (forgot to quote it in this post), I'm in a fitness program at college, and one of my instructors recently described eggs as the perfect protein due to their balance of essential amino acids.
  • Kenazwa
    Kenazwa Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    You haven't addressed the health issue. Eggs are one of the worst food choices out there! You seem to have heard and understand the health implications of animal products; eggs are just about the worst! Cheese being the worst, then eggs. Lean meat, especially fish, is not nearly as unhealthy as eggs are.
    I assume you don't want diabetes and heart disease, do you?
  • FWMagicMike
    FWMagicMike Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    In response to the following comment (forgot to quote it in this post), I'm in a fitness program at college, and one of my instructors recently described eggs as the perfect protein due to their balance of essential amino acids.

That's the main benefit of animal protein, you get all your essential proteins. I went vegan because there are way too many people who say it isn't sustainable for an athlete, that animals are required to eat or consume. I am 140 plus days without eating anything animal.

When it comes to essential, you have pros and cons of your choices. Is it worth the cholesterol? is it worth the added saturated fats? It sure may be within reason for you and therefore acceptable to eat. If you prescribe to labels then that's where you make a decision.

I thought of this the other day. If all animals roamed free and produced how they do, and there are no hunters, or meat eaters, the world would be way over populated with many animals. Sure, many do not see that as a bad thing, but for me, I like the balance. I am now as a vegan eater and I KNOW I feel more energetic, I feel cleaner inside, and I know I can get all my nutrients necessary. If someone wants to say I am not a vegan, that's ok :) I know what I eat, and I am still making a difference. I like too that my family eats healthier as well. Now, would I cook a steak or a hotdog for someone, sure! We all won't make it past 120 years old anyways.
  • Wade406
    Wade406 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    That's the main benefit of animal protein, you get all your essential proteins. I went vegan because there are way too many people who say it isn't sustainable for an athlete, that animals are required to eat or consume. I am 140 plus days without eating anything animal.

When it comes to essential, you have pros and cons of your choices. Is it worth the cholesterol? is it worth the added saturated fats? It sure may be within reason for you and therefore acceptable to eat. If you prescribe to labels then that's where you make a decision.

I thought of this the other day. If all animals roamed free and produced how they do, and there are no hunters, or meat eaters, the world would be way over populated with many animals. Sure, many do not see that as a bad thing, but for me, I like the balance. I am now as a vegan eater and I KNOW I feel more energetic, I feel cleaner inside, and I know I can get all my nutrients necessary. If someone wants to say I am not a vegan, that's ok :) I know what I eat, and I am still making a difference. I like too that my family eats healthier as well. Now, would I cook a steak or a hotdog for someone, sure! We all won't make it past 120 years old anyways.

Well if you believe what Dr Greger says at nutritionfacts.org, there are so many problems with ingesting any proteins from our own kingdom (animal) that it's just not worth it. Obtaining proteins from outside our kingdom (plants and fungus) is safer and healthier.

Your other thought I don't agree with, regarding over population of animals. Domestic animals and wild animals are very different. There are very few animals at the top of the food chain. In North America, humans, wolverines, grizzly bears, mountain lions, (maybe eagles, that's debatable) and wolves are at the top. Numbers decline when food becomes scarce for those predators. Every other animal has a predator.

But then there are humans. Humans grow animals like crops. If everyone ate like us, the meat industry would collapse. If cows, sheep, pigs, and chickens were left on their own to survive, they wouldn't last long in the wild.

And then of course there is the use of these animals for other than food. Sheep yield wool, and cows yield leather, etc.
  • vegwrangler
    vegwrangler Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    In all honesty, had I not been diagnosed with an egg allergy and lactose intolerance, I would have been content rocking an ovo-lactic vegetarian diet as long as ethically sourced animal products were available. I know plenty of people with chicken and quail that are truly members of their family, and treated as such. Chances are, if a hen comes up to me and lets me pet her she's pretty content and has a pretty good life.

I think we all get so caught up with labels that we forget why we make the decisions we do. I have returned and fully committed to a Vegan lifestyle because I finally realized the impact of my consumption of animal products. I'm new to this whole "Compassionate Eating" thing, I was always the accidental vegan that ended up adopting this lifestyle because animal bits make me feel sickly, leather shoes totally smell awful, and wool is just plain itchy. Truth is, I'm glad that I opened my eyes and my heart to the reality of the meat/dairy/egg industries because now I'm fully emotionally invested in making this a complete lifestyle commitment.

Point is, so what if you don't fit a particular label? Nourish yourself with foods produced through love and you'll be a happy camper.
  • RocksFlower
    RocksFlower Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Out of all the comments I love this one the most! I wholeheartedly agree!
    I'm not trying to poke the bear, but wouldn't objectively answering her question be a better choice than subjectively scolding her for how YOU FEEEL? She didn't ask if it's gross.

I say go for it. Do what you are comfortable with. Would you go EWWWWW at an addict for using dirty needles to help them become sober? NO you give them clean needles! Peace, :-)
  • shinee84
    shinee84 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    For all intensive purposes most people that eat plant based are called vegans. I'm also not going to tell someone what they should or shouldn't call themselves. At the end of the day animals are being saved either way. However, if we were to be technical about it then based on its true meaning eating plant based foods does not make a person vegan. It is because a person is vegan that they eat plant based foods. Veganism in it's true sense is about not exploiting animals for any reason and generally follows the principle that animals for are not here for us to use (for testing, for entertainment, for eating, for labor etc.). This is why I don't eat eggs and also because if you think about it is a little gross (and not healthy as someone mentioned). I also just personally don't believe people are meant to eat animal products but I know a lot of people differ on this and I respect that. I'm not sure a person can still eat eggs and be a vegan since there is no doubt that its an animal product. There are a lot of products that are controversial in the vegan community, mostly by products such as wool, honey, beewax, etc. Also, other things such as refined sugar and such. I usually just try to stay on the safe side and choose not to use the byproducts either. I will sometimes consume things that are filtered with animal products such as sugar or wine and no longer contain the non vegan ingredients. All in all it seems that whether you eat plant based for health or for the animals its probably not a good idea. This is the first time I've encountered a vegan considering eating eggs. However, everyone has to decide what to eat and not eat based on what they are personally comfortable with and do it in a way that doesn't drive them crazy. I'd rather have someone take baby steps than no steps at all.

As far as horseback riding and stuff, I just avoid it as well as most other situations where animals are used for entertainment or labor such as zoos, circuses, race tracks, pulling carriages etc. I honestly have no idea what level of riding would be detrimental to a horse so I just avoid it altogether. I do know though that the sanctuaries in my area often have to go through extensive rehabilitation measures to repair damage done to horse from riding. I'm sure this is also one of those issues that you will probably find different opinion on in the vegan community.
  • shinee84
    shinee84 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    By definition a vegan does not consume, USE or eat any animals or animal products.

Can a vegan use animals for companionship?

I find this to be an interesting question. I was recently told that I could not say I cared about animal rights because I have cats. The reasoning was based on an assumption that I had them purely for my entertainment. However, I've never thought of my cats that way. I consider them part of the family and love them like my own children. I take pet adoption very seriously. I understand how there may be some doubt over whether it ethical to own them and prevent them from being in the wild. I guess my thinking is that pets that have already been domesticated may not be better off in the wild. Also, I consider the fact that often we have already destroyed their natural habitat. I do get kind of sad of the thought of birds that can't fly because they are in cages and fish that are forced to swim in circles. I personally don't feel like I am doing my cat a disservice but i haven't fully decided about how I feel about some other pets.
  • quagga2007
    quagga2007 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I find this to be an interesting question. I was recently told that I could not say I cared about animal rights because I have cats. The reasoning was based on an assumption that I had them purely for my entertainment. However, I've never thought of my cats that way. I consider them part of the family and love them like my own children. I take pet adoption very seriously. I understand how there may be some doubt over whether it ethical to own them and prevent them from being in the wild. I guess my thinking is that pets that have already been domesticated may not be better off in the wild. Also, I consider the fact that often we have already destroyed their natural habitat. I do get kind of sad of the thought of birds that can't fly because they are in cages and fish that are forced to swim in circles. I personally don't feel like I am doing my cat a disservice but i haven't fully decided about how I feel about some other pets.

My take on this is that if there were no cats to adopt/rescue, I would gladly not have cats. But since there are cats that need homes, and since they are obligate carnivores, I must take care of them so that they stay alive. Some people have had success with feeding cats a vegan diet, usually homemade, but that has not been my experience. Some day there will be a reliable vegan commercial cat food, but that day is not today.

That said, I really admire people who choose to have bunnies and other herbivorous critters as companions. I just have a bond with the cat species that I've not been able to develop with other species. Maybe that will change.

This thread continues to be such an interesting and respectful discussion. Carry on!
  • earthboundmisfit
    earthboundmisfit Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    By definition a vegan does not consume, USE or eat any animals or animal products.

Can a vegan use animals for companionship?
  • earthboundmisfit
    earthboundmisfit Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I think if you adopt a pet from a shelter you'll be providing a good home to an animal that might otherwise be destroyed or spend its life in a cage or roaming as a stray on the streets.