Post run recovery practices

Options
derekj222
derekj222 Posts: 370 Member
For doing 18 miles yesterday at 9 min pace, my body feels really good today. As I am sure I am more conditioned, it surprises me because I haven't ran this distance since my fall marathons. I just sat in ice cold bath (no ice) for about 20 minutes. I really should soak my feet in epsom salts as most of my issues are with sore feet. Runners what do you do post long or intense runs?

Replies

• mmk137
    mmk137 Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    I actually like going for a 3km slow recovery run the day after.

And doing yoga.
  • UrbanRunner81
    UrbanRunner81 Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    I foam roll my legs and ice my feet the day of (I should do it every day honestly it makes me feel better). Next day I do cross training like the elliptical for 45 minutes.
  • _Josee_
    _Josee_ Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Foam roll and bike for me!
    It's been getting easier lately though! (I'm training for my first marathon right now and I'm at the 18-19 miles long run stage).... Makes me believe I won't always be hurting :)
  • KeithAngilly
    KeithAngilly Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I mostly lay on my floor and feel like dying oh...and I consume some carbs and protein at a roughly 4 to 1 ratio :o)

all kidding aside, I guess I do a little stretching and not much else. I love stretching and tend to do more on days of less mileage or on cross training days. But, truthfully, after a Sunday long run, I am just looking for some food and to take a load off.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    I take a nap.
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    I take a nap.

yep. me too, but I hook up a Gatorade IV drip before I do.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    I recently bought a dense foam ball and love it. It targets very well and feels like it digs deeper. Also, walking, sleeping, and Cheez Its.
  • MelisRunning
    MelisRunning Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    I take a nap, too.
  • tappae
    tappae Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Chocolate milk, hot shower and a potluck dinner.
  • derekj222
    derekj222 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Agree with most everyone. I usually come back, eat a protein fruit smoothies, maybe a Qdoba burrito, shower, maybe short ice bath, then long nap...

Just didn't know if anyone had any secret recovery methods...
  • TheBrolympus
    TheBrolympus Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    Depends on how I feel. If I feel good I just go about my day.
    If something needs attention, then I stretch, foam roll, ice, etc.
  • ZenInTexas
    ZenInTexas Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    When I was doing my really long runs for marathon training I would have an epsom salt bath while I drank my recovery shake (banana, choc almond milk and peanut butter) and then do some foam rolling and stretching later. And then eat all the food.
  • schmenge55
    schmenge55 Posts: 745 Member
    Options
    I'd like to say that I have this great stretching routine but that would not be true. I don't really like stretching and after a long hard the last thing I want to do. I do sometimes though. The only absolute is to eat, with a good dose of protein, within 15 or 20 minutes. And I do like hot baths with Epsom salts. Tried ice baths. Hated them and did not feel like they helped so........
  • tegalicious
    tegalicious Posts: 629
    Options
    I haven't run as far as some of you but with past knee problems I am trying to take it slow. The longest I have run is 12 miles and when I get back from a long run, I foam roll, use "the stick", drink 16-32 ounces of water and have a chocolate gugel and stretch. Then it's off to a hot bath with about 6 pounds of epsom salt for as long the water stays warm. Then I eat some yogurt, pb2, oats, chia, flax, cocoa, and sunflower seeds all mixed in a bowl together. I call it chunky monkey muesli :).
  • DonPendergraft
    DonPendergraft Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    I think others have covered all of the basics, so I will just share one thing that helped me: continue to drink water to properly re-hydrate throughout the day post-run. It seemed like whenever I would do a 20 mile+ run, I would end up with a horrible headache. Someone mentioned that I probably wasn't properly re-hydrated. I might drink 28 oz and hour during the run depending and I would drink right after the run and then stop and not feel like drinking. So I finally learned to continue drinking fluid at the same pace for about another 2-3 hours post run and my headaches went away (that is to say, I never got them). You didn't mention headaches, so the particular may not apply, but I do think hydration will play into your post run recovery as well. Good luck!
  • tfonz10
    tfonz10 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I am terrible at taking care of myself properly. Usually I shower, destroy some breakfast, put on my compression gear, and then head out for the day with the kiddos. I usually do not take the time to stretch and foam roll until nap time or that night. I usually do ice my feet that night.
  • TheRunnerDad
    TheRunnerDad Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Anything over 12 miles I'll take an ice bath, then eat eat eat then take a nap. If an ice bath isn't possible, I'll elevate my legs at > 45 degrees for the same amount of time as I would do the ice bath.
  • Linli_Anne
    Linli_Anne Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    On my long run days I usually do a bit of easy stretching for my hamstrings, quads and calves. Maybe 10 minutes worth. I have a post-run snack, and coffee. Shower, out on some warm socks and generally cozy clothes and go about my day with the kids.

Later than night before bed I will foam roll, and do a bit more all over stretching.

During the week, after I run, I've been following a post-run yoga video on youtube, hosted by Fiji McAlpine. I feel like it has made a big difference in being able to crank out my weekly runs back to back to back without complaint.