Cross training recomendations for day after long run

Options
I am on my first week of the Hal Higdon, Novice 1, marathon training plan. I did the 6 mile long run today, and I am supposed to do cross training tomorrow. Part of the cross training is going to be weight lifting, but what else would be good, and what should I stay away from? I just want to stay away from anything which could result in overuse injuries (I've had the displeasure of experiencing them twice.).

Replies

• KeithAngilly
    KeithAngilly Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Cross training usually means something cardio. In my program it means something non-weight bearing i.e. cycling, swimming or rowing. Not sure about Higdon's program. He may be referring to strength training as cross training. I have been swimming on Mondays, which is the day after long run for me. If you are looking for some really good strength training ideas, check out "Brain Training for Runners". I have had some great success with the strength recommendations from that book.
  • KristiRTT
    KristiRTT Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I just finished week 6 of the novice 1 training program! I do 15-30 min on the arc trainer and 45 min weights on my cross training days!
  • UrbanRunner81
    UrbanRunner81 Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    I usually do the elliptical or arc trainer.

I lift weights but I don't really consider that cross training as I do it three times a week sometimes on days I run.
  • _Josee_
    _Josee_ Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Cross training for me is biking (usually on days I don't run). I lift weights on days I run (usually run in the morning or at lunch then weights right after work).
  • PrairieRunner2015
    PrairieRunner2015 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all of the recommendations. The weights will be upper body. I lift 3x a week: lower on Tuesday (short run day), split upper/lower on Thursday (short run day, followed by a rest day), and upper on Sunday.

I will definitely check out the book, thank you!