Sabotaged!

Options
dipitie
dipitie Posts: 25 Member
It's really my own fault, and maybe I should be making more of an effort. I was 14 days in yesterday, and I ate something at work that I think derailed my Whole30.

I work in a gourmet resort restaurant that does a buffet on the weekends. Eating off the buffet at the end of the lunch shift is one of the benefits and I can usually find something to eat. Yesterday, the chef put breadcrumbs or cheese on almost everything. We did have salmon (although it was on dumplings), prime rib, lamb and Brussels sprouts so that's what I ate. I was working an extended shift so didn't have the opportunity to eat anything else. I started feeling bad about 30 minutes after I ate and I thought it was the salmon since I tried to only eat the top part and leave the part that was touching the dumplings. Nope, I found out today that he cooked the lamb in beer and didn't tell me. Which really pisses me off because I stuck to the plan at a Mexican restaurant the night before (and I do love Margaritas and chips).

So, I know technically this means I have to start over. However, I've been Gluten free for six months (I already know I have an intolerance) and I know gluten/grain was the only thing that got into my belly. My husband might kill me if I extend whole30 another two weeks! Kidding, but not really.

What would you do if you were in my position? My gut feeling is to continue for two more weeks because I haven't broken my whole30 with anything I have eaten within the last month, and then doing another whole30 after the resort closes for summer on Easter Sunday.

Replies

• bethcongdon1
    bethcongdon1 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I say stick with what you are doing. You tried to avoid the bad, weren't aware of how everything was cooked. You made the best choices with what you had to work with. I am starting over again today because I deliberately had some homemade pizza, pasta salad at a party, oatmeal cookies, and some pepsi. That is cause for a do over, not meat that was prepped at a restaurant marinated in beer. But I would note how you felt. I felt great eating what I did (everything tasted so good, everyone was enjoying the food including myself.... until a couple hours after and I had the worst night sleep in a long time. Ugh. But I am getting back on track again starting today. :)
  • bethcongdon1
    bethcongdon1 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I just saw the date. How are you doing now? Did you decide to restart or continue on for two more weeks? Whatever you decided on, good luck! :)
  • dipitie
    dipitie Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Hi! Sorry, I noticed this board wasn't very busy and haven't checked back in a while! I'm actually doing really well, I find whole30 to be really helpful in the black and white approach - much easier for me to stay on track :) I already know I have an issue with gluten and I could totally tell, but I thought it was something else - msg or soybean oil or something. At least until I saw the menu notes the next day.

I didn't restart, but I plan on doing another whole30 right after the restaurant closes on Easter. I do feel great, and I like the restrictions once you get the hang of it. The first thing I am going to reintro is butter, hoping I don't have any issue with it! I've gotten so used to coconut milk and cream, I don't even feel like I need cream or milk any longer! I also thought I might miss yogurt or cottage cheese, but now that I've been off of it for a while, I think I can do without. Especially since organic, raw dairy is so expensive! I will probably reintroduce non-gluten grains just for future reference but not eat them regularly, and I would like to try properly soaked and sprouted legumes.

The hardest thing is going to be adding in those foods and not going overboard on them. And wine! LOL

How are you doing?