Myofascial Pain Syndrome

Options
EllieB_5
EllieB_5 Posts: 247 Member
That lingering all over muscle pain that was still forgotten as fibro now has a new diagnosis, Myofascial Pain Syndrome (MPS). With this new diagnosis comes new treatment options. With new treatment options comes a lessening of the pain. Just imagine reducing, or even eliminating, your "fibro" pain.

It's taken me about 5 years to get this diagnosis, but only because I refused to allow doctors to brush me aside with "you have fibro, there's not much we can do for fibro". Don't let yourselves be brushed under the rug and forgotten.

Replies

• SunVegan8
    SunVegan8 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    What is the treatment plan for Myofascial Pain?
  • bvifun
    bvifun Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    I am glad you have found some new treatment options. I hope you get lots of relief. Be aware that there are differences between these 2 syndromes. Also to remember, a syndrome is a collection of symptoms and not a disease this can lead to a differences in diagnoses at times depending on the symptoms reported to the doctor.

From: http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/myofascial-pain-syndrome/basics/definition/con-20033195

"Some research suggests that myofascial pain syndrome may develop into fibromyalgia in some people. Fibromyalgia is a chronic condition that features widespread pain. It's believed that the brains of people with fibromyalgia become more sensitive to pain signals over time. Some doctors believe myofascial pain syndrome may play a role in starting this process."
  • EllieB_5
    EllieB_5 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    It's believed that the brains of people with fibromyalgia become more sensitive to pain signals over time.
    This is called central sensitization.
    Be aware that there are differences between these 2 syndromes.
    Thanks for the heads up, but I have been dealing with this *kitten* for about 5 years now. This is also what I am trying to get across to ppl. Fibro is used far too often, hell, it was MY diagnosis until I pushed the doctors to deal with each individual pain. And now look; I have central sensitization, arthritis, degenerated discs, Willis-Ekbom disease, and myofascial pain syndrome "instead of" fibromyalgia. These six syndromes/diseases have vast differences between them and yet I was originally diagnosed as having fibro. So thank you for telling me to be aware of the differences, imo it's fibro patients who need to be aware of the differences as they, like I was, could be getting swept under the rug and forgotten instead of diagnosed and thus treated properly.

What is the treatment plan for Myofascial Pain?
    Myofascial Pain Syndrome has a few treatments that I'm aware of. One being injections into the trigger points in an attempt to loosen them up. Some doctors use dry needling, others inject saline, others lidocaine, and I recently learned that botox can be used for longer relief than what lidocaine can give. I'll be talking to my doc about the botox at our next appt. TENS machines (and there's another I forget the name of) are also a common treatment. TENS uses electrical stimulation to help reduce the pain. There's also all sorts of stretches I'm suppose to do multiple times a day but am too lazy to do as often as I should :tongue:
  • SunVegan8
    SunVegan8 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I hope the Dx helps you find options to reduce suffering.