It lied

Options
SezxyStef
SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
I am very sad about this and not sure what to do ....

I got a new standard bar for my birthday that was "suppose" to weight 20lbs...it doesn't...

I found it weird I pounded out all my rows on it so easy after struggling so hard for weeks on them so I weighed it...

16-17lbs :sad: :sad: :sad: I am half tempted to just count it as 15lbs

I use that bar for my squats, benching and OHP...

Suggestions?

Log the weight I am really lifting starting today

Bench would be around 115
OHP would be around 85
Squat would be around 175

Replies

• ErinRibbens
    ErinRibbens Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Can you return it? How frustrating! And an odd number would drive me crazy. (well, not a multiple of 5 anyway)
  • catfive1
    catfive1 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    How much do the weight collars weigh? or does that include them?
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    How much do the weight collars weigh? or does that include them?

No enough...I could add my weighted collars to add another 3.5lbs...maybe that's what I will do...

I don't mind it being 16-17lbs :grumble: not really...Just wish I had known earlier...

Mark my squat weight at it's "actual" weight today and make a note about it so I remember...I thought I was at 180 but it's really 176-177...and yes 3lbs makes a difference...:sad:
  • catfive1
    catfive1 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I hate barbell math. :angry: My weights are all in kg's which throws me off too.
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    I am just gonna deload my rows as my "normal" row bar is 20lbs and I would have failed on Friday...start fresh Wed

Deload on my OHP as I failed at 85lbs (since I wasn't really lifting 88.5) start fresh with this...

Bench I will record at 115 Wednesday (failed at 120 with fake bar) so I can work with that...

DL use my "real" bar anyway

Squats...I don't even want to talk about right now..stupid injury.

Stupid barbell math, stupid manufacturers....:explode: now I am weighing all my plates too...:bigsmile:
  • rlw911
    rlw911 Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry. That really sucks and I'd be pissed, too! I read on thread on the fitness forum a month or so ago, where someone weighed there weights and they we're all off. He was upset, because he paid for his by the pound. We all probably lift less than we think. :grumble:
  • ErinRibbens
    ErinRibbens Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I'm getting my home gym set up and I'm going to make sure to weigh all the weights I just got!!! :(
  • jcdoerr
    jcdoerr Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    We all probably lift less than we think. :grumble:

Oh no...I don't even want to consider the possibility that I might be lifting less!!! :sad:
  • girlie100
    girlie100 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    that's the problem with cheaper bars :sad:

but who's gonna pay 800-1500 on a calibrated competition bar lol

Luckily my gym has 4x comp bars but my bar at home is actually 22kg rather than 20kg
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    that's the problem with cheaper bars :sad:

but who's gonna pay 800-1500 on a calibrated competition bar lol

Luckily my gym has 4x comp bars but my bar at home is actually 22kg rather than 20kg

Yup cheap newer ones...

My old bar that came with my plastic york set...is the righ weight...and it's crappy old steel that rusted with a sheath...

I will eventually be upgrading that's for sure.
  • hananah89
    hananah89 Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    Ouch that sucks! My gym says they are "olympic" bars on all the signs about not dropping weights and safety so I'm hoping they are close enough to 45lbs!
  • AABru
    AABru Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I use an Olympic bar as well...found it on craigs list. Maybe you could have some luck there? Don't be too upset Steph, your numbers are still good and think about how your body has changed! :flowerforyou: