03/17 Challenge- Eat some extra GREEN (s)!

Options
I was just reading about green not being associated with St Patrick's Day in Ireland. This was because of the Great Potato Famine, during this time, the Irish that didn't leave Ireland for America, in some cases resorted to eating grass to stay alive, some would die with their mouths green from eating the grass.

The Irish have accepted the odd Americanized tradition of green, so while our fearless leader is out dancing a jig with the Leprechans , I challenge every one to get their greens in today, try a new type of green like a brussel sprout or some cabbage, what about some green peppers, maybe some kale. Pick a green, whether it's your favorite or something new, grab your fork and take a bite, you surely won't regret it on this fair nite!

Replies

• busybarbie
    busybarbie Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Hi I am in for this challenge and without knowing I started it yesterday.. I made some roasted asparagus for my veggie at dinner time..today I am going to try out some brussel sprouts.. I love spinach cooked or raw...but need to try out some new green veggies that is my goal for this month...
  • Accountess
    Accountess Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I am in as well. I am making a Turkey meatloaf that is filled with spinach and parsley!! Yum, and I will add a spring mix green salad.:wink:
  • busybarbie
    Options
    that sounds delish...
  • verdemujer
    verdemujer Posts: 1,397 Member
    Options
    Spring is when I start to crave green stuff. Amazing what I will crave.. Sunday I had collard greens - I love steamed collard greens. I made my kid eat a small portion and the hubby tried them too. Then we had cabbage on Monday - not boiled but coleslaw, homemade. I thought about roasting it but as the hubby was at home prepping it, I didn't want to put too much stress on him. The kid "Why do I have to eat this? I"m not Irish! I'm Swedish." "You are Irish, Scottish, Swedish, French, German, Mexican, Aztec, and Italian so yes, cornned beef is an Irish dish" He doesn't eat pickled herring or cranberries either but he likes Swedish meatballs. Oh what a cultural mix my house is! I'm not Japanese but I love seaweed! Kids!
  • WarriorCupcakeBlydnsr
    WarriorCupcakeBlydnsr Posts: 2,150 Member
    Options
    Actually, I was also reading that corned beef is not really an Irish food (this is what happens when I take time off from work and have nothing to do): beef was a rare commodity I Ireland, so cows were more valued for their milk than their meat so they would only use them for food after they are too old to produce milk. Beef did not become a consumable until the English took control of Ireland to accommodate their taste for beef! I guess it's another Americanized ideal (and a good one at that!)
  • sowich25
    sowich25 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Extra salads here. Increasing the green
  • busybarbie
    Options
    Yesterday I had quesadilla of all tpyes of greens in it had roasted asparagus, broccoli, spinach and green pepper with cheese then on the side I had garden salad with avocado... it was so good .. gonna make it more often ....
  • latachuela
    latachuela Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I am posting late since i just joined today (3/20/14) But I have been eating more veggies and putting in more greens. I have been juicing day 3 :)