TTC with weight loss

Options
Hello, I just wanted to share my story and see if anyone might be going through the same things as me. I was diagnosed with pcos in February 2014. We had gotten pregnant in December of 2012 and I had pre-term rupture of membranes at 5 months. Sadly my body went into labor a week later and I lost our first son. We were given the ok to start TTC after having 3 normal cycles after the loss. My cycles were consistent, going from 28 - 31 days for 6 months, but for some reason I wasn't getting pregnant. Then out of nowhere, my cycles went all over the place. For the past 4 months my cycles gone from 21 days to currently a 77 day cycle and counting. I was always on birth control until I went off for 1 month to switch over to another brand and I was lucky enough to get pregnant. I ended up going to my doctor to find out why were weren't conceiving and to figure out what was going on with my cycles. That's when I was diagnosed. Since losing my son, I've gained 35 pounds. I thought it was just because of stress, but turns out it was my hormones. My doctor prescribed me clomid to help me ovulate but my husband and I decided I should get my health in order first. We've both completely changed our diet and I try my hardest not to have sugar. This is SO hard for me because I LOVE sugar, but I've also started to notice that there is almost sugar in everything we eat. I'm trying to lose some weight before we start ttc again and am having a really hard time losing anything. I was just curious if anyone has some pointers with all of this and what has helped with success stories. I would LOVE some input. Thank you in advance.

Replies

• miranda_mom
    miranda_mom Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    Talk to your doctor about Metformin. It was the ONLY thing that allowed me to conceive. It also significantly reduces the risk of miscarriage, which is high in women with PCOS.
  • mtucker823
    mtucker823 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I understand what you are going though. I got pregnant with my daughter first try. Now I have been trying for my second for about 7 months and my periods are so irregular. I had a 80 day + cycle a couple of months ago. I was put on metformin and this last cycle was only 38 days.. so I am hoping its working. Have you tried metformin?
  • powellfam2006
    powellfam2006 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I am very sorry for your loss. I can't even imagine. I have PCOS also. I have one child she just turned 8, I was 28 when I got pregnant with her, with the help of clomid, we tried for about a year on our own, then went through about 3 cycles of clomid so it took about 18 months total. I as heavy, but was lucky to have a healthy pregnancy. This time around I have been trying for about 3+ years for #2, have taken 2 separate rounds of clomid and femera. It has not worked :(. So I decided to try to lose some weight, and I am down 50lbs, was hoping it would happen on it's own with the weight loss, but AF is screwed up. So I am starting all over again. The best thing that has helped me in my weight loss is unfortunately staying away from sugar, I to love it. I eat a lot of full fat yogurt and fresh berries, I use stevia to help sweeten, I only eat my own shredded cheese from block cheese because they uses stuff to keep the cheese separated. I don't eat bread, or crackers or chips, don't drink pop. And I eat a lot of salad with full fat dressings, because the lite dressings have sugar and fillers in them, I just dip, instead of pour and that saves me a lot. I can eat a full salad with less then 1tllb of dressing. I stay away from carrots, corn, potatoes, banana's, watermelon, and oranges. If I eat bread, I make sure that I savor it, and only eat very little., and try not to eat it back to back with anything else. It sucks but PCOS, puts 5lbs on me in a day, and takes a month to get off. They tell you to follow the Diabetic Diet, and it's true. I am hoping the 50lbs will make AF more stable, so we will see, I had to get meds to start her this month. Friend me if you would like any more ideas :) Good luck :)
  • kbuckle86
    kbuckle86 Posts: 15
    Options
    Look up a program called NaPro. I am using it. It allows you to look at your.....sorry about this but...vaginal mucus. I found out after charting for three months that I wasn't ovulating. I went to see a doctor that did a complete blood work up on me and found out I had low estrogen and low progesterone. I am on some vitamins and a progesterone cream. I have only been on these new vitamins for a week now but here's hoping.

My story goes like this. I was put on metformin ( I'm still on it). It works great for when my body is craving sugar. My doctor at the time also put me on Clomid. It works wonders for some people and can be a cause of bad health for others. I did get pregnant in mid 2013 but sadly ended with an ectopic. Surgery was ....well not fun. My husband and I tried again and found out on Christmas we were pregnant again. Sadly our precious baby passed away at 13 weeks - miscarriage. My doctor said it wasn't due to the clomid but it seemed like my bodies hormones went crazy ( low estrogen and low progesterone) and miscarried. Clomid might work to get you pregnant but you want to first check with your doctor that your hormones are in order to keep you pregnant. I'm sorry for you and your husbands lost. It sucks. I still find it hard to be excited for friends or family that are pregnant...all I can think is why not me. But I believe God has a child for me some day. We are meant to be moms. Blessings.
  • mjrose514
    mjrose514 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I know this is old, but jic you're still struggling. First of all, I can't even imagine your pain and I don't even know the last time I actually ovulated so have no help on that front. But with low carb my recommend eating lots of fat (butter, cream, coconut oil, skin on chicken...) not sure if you were doing that or not. Fats help you not only loose weight, but decrease inflammation and help with hormones. I've only been doing it a month, but I've now had two cycles after a 70 day stretch before and lost 17.2#s. So I'm hoping the rest will follow, though now that I know I can loose weight I want to loose it before having a baby...
  • mjrose514
    mjrose514 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Oh and this... Long but informative... http://www.dietdoctor.com/how-to-eat-to-get-pregnant