GENERAL DISCUSSION

Options
Just want to say hello, chat a bit? This is the place!

Replies

• wordsandmusic51
    wordsandmusic51 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Hey friends, so nice to see some familiar faces here! I hope everyone is having a good, healthy. stress free day!
    What has everyone been up to? :)
    (and don't say having a secret binge on a 5 gallon bucket of buttered popcorn or I will cry...because you didn't share!) :sad: :laugh:
  • ActionAnnieGO
    Options
    Feeling pretty good since I increased my protein! That seems to be making a big difference in my satiety level. Went to bed NOT HUNGRY last night. Yay! I hate hungry. lol!
  • wordsandmusic51
    Options
    That's great, Annie, I hope it continues to work for you!
  • bandit5125
    bandit5125 Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    popcorn sounds good, been thinking about it since the mention of the movie popcorn! I want to lose weight more. I am so glad my son finished the strawberry shortcake stuff in the fridge cause that was so tempting!
  • wordsandmusic51
    Options
    So, I was wondering...what does everyone find to be the hardest part of the weight loss journey? The exercise, the emotions, the food?

When I imagine myself under 200 pounds...under 150 pounds, I imagine myself walking comfortably, through a store, on a path, along the beach. My journey to that weight will also include ( I desperately hope) some surgery to remove skin after weight loss, and sometimes it seems like an unattainable goal. It feels like I failed at my top weight, but even if (no, WHEN) I lose the rest, I will be left with this ugly body with loose skin and wrinkles. It is hard to not let that part get me down. I know those who are not incredibly obese may not understand that concern because many, with exercise, can come out of it looking great. For me, more battles lie ahead even after the initial success.

It's scary.
  • bandit5125
    Options
    I can handle the food part because we make our own choices, the exercise I can do as well, and thankful that I can. Its the emotions for me, I get so caught up in the numbers and feel defeated when I have done everything right and the scale doesn't move. I know its going to take time but as someone else said I want to run not walk. I need to get my head to understand it.
  • wordsandmusic51
    Options
    I am going to really struggle with strawberry shortcake when the strawberry season hits, lol. We never had really good strawberries in Alaska, and if they were decent they were crazy expensive. Strawberries are my very favorite food, and grew up eating them with my mom's southern sweet biscuits and home made whipped cream. Ohhhhh, it's going to be a long, hard summer! lol
  • bandit5125
    Options
    I was proud of myself, its been in the house since Monday and I was good! there is something about warm biscuits with the berries and whip cream mmmmmmmmm
  • wordsandmusic51
    Options
    Tell me about it! My daughter and the boys (my foster grandbabies) are coming this weekend and they have requested 7Up biscuits. So yummy, I will have to make room in the day calorie wise for one!
  • Joanne_happygramma
    Joanne_happygramma Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    West coast checking in -- I am guessing most everyone is comfortably in bed -- ok Sue I know you might still be up.
    Yes we need to focus on avoiding triggers and there is some nice treats coming up in the summer season. One of my
    problems could be cherries - yes fruit but Cherries are evil fruit. We have the most gorgeous cherries here, they are very
    expensive but deliciously lovely. Funny I just found myself checking the calorie count for cherries tonight -- 4 calories each.
  • MinnesotaYogaGirl
    MinnesotaYogaGirl Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    LOL @ the person who said "I hate hungry" !!! Amen sister!

Nice to see all the friendly faces and support here! Wish you were all in Minnesota so we could meet up this summer and go for walks!
  • ActionAnnieGO
    Options
    ...but even if (no, WHEN) I lose the rest, I will be left with this ugly body with loose skin and wrinkles. It is hard to not let that part get me down. I know those who are not incredibly obese may not understand that concern because many, with exercise, can come out of it looking great. For me, more battles lie ahead even after the initial success.

It's scary.

I can totally relate to this. Now that I'm 51, my skin is different and doesn't have the elasticity that it once did. I'm pretty sure that I'm going to have a lot of loose skin. I can already see it under my chin, where the fat is "emptying out" - the skin is not popping back. I'm a little worried, I must admit! I've been using this cream for the neck called "Dr. Perricone's Sub-D", but I'm not sure it's helping. Maybe a little. Anyway, words and music, I'm right in here with you on this.
  • wordsandmusic51
    Options
    Joanne, no such luck, lol. I am rarely, very very rarely asleep before midnight. ;)
    I love cherry flavor in some things, like lifesavers and turnovers, but I don't like fresh cherries or slimy cooked cherries. Whenever I would have turnovers or pie I would pick out the cherry and eat the rest, which was delish! I am weird that way, with textures. I am the same way about onions. Love the flavor, not the slimy cooked ones or raw. Onion rings, break them open, pull out the onion and toss it and eat the ring! lol

Tashia, glad you could join us! That's the tough part about online groups, everyone is scattered everywhere. I started one when I was working with an online charity group and we were a message board group until the site did away with the message boards, for over 12 years. Some of those folks are among my best friends still, even though we have never met. :)

Annie, yeah, I try not to think about it too much, because it is beyond my control now, the damage is done. I have probably had a lot more anxiety about it since I left my marriage, you know, that whole 'starting over' thing where you have to come to terms with the damage done and live with it. Nothing about starting over at this age is really fun, but when your body image is shot there are days when the fear and anxiety over how you look makes you want to crawl under a rock. :cry:
  • mjharman
    mjharman Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    My biggest struggle is chocolate. Once I have one little piece, I can't stop. :ohwell:
    At home, its easy. I just don't have any.
    But at work, we have a little snack area in the lab, where people can come and purchase snacks. And it is always stocked with chocolate. And when I get bored, its all I can think about. :frown:

As for the excess skin, I have read up on it because I worry about it, too. What I've read is that you should never NOT lose weight because you're worried about it. In other words, don't let the thought of excess skin prevent you from doing what is best for you and for your health - and that is, losing weight. Also, after you reach your goal, give it a year before making any decision on surgery. That's what I plan on doing. And its a relief to think that I don't have to worry about it for a little while.

Things do get easier as the weight comes off. I remember it used to hurt me just to clasp my bra in the morning...the pain in my shoulder from reaching around my back was excrutiating! One day I realized it didn't hurt to do that anymore...and that was after I had lost just 10 pounds! I remember taking a class at the Y and could not even begin to try to do dips...and then one day, I tried them and I could! I remember one day I was sitting on the sofa and I realized that I had crossed my legs...something I hadn't been able to do in years! These NSVs...non-scale victories...they are the bomb! They are so much better than any number that you see on the scale! So don't forget to look for them and write about them because I can't wait to hear about them! :happy:
  • wordsandmusic51
    Options
    :) Thanks.

The bra thing...my gosh, I must have been super, super lazy, because I wasn't going to strain myself reaching like that to clasp it, I put it on backwards, clasped it, then turned it around! lol I am, shall we say, 'well endowed' in that respect and the whole subject of bras has always been one that made me nuts. You are so right, though, almost every day I notice things that have changed, things that are easier. Because of my knee injuries I was not able to drive for many years. I think that was one of the worst parts about my situation because I was always on the go and it felt like I had completely lost my freedom. Once I was somewhat able to get around, I needed an ID since I no longer had a license, so I got one. Then, my goal was to get enough mobility and range of motion back that I could drive, so just this past January I went and took my written and road tests all over again. I was so excited when I passed! Today, I was looking at both of them and noticed that in my recent one my face looked much less heavy than in the previous picture. I had not noticed in just looking in the mirror. It made me very happy to imagine how much better it will be as the pounds fall off. :)
  • mart001
    mart001 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Where did eveybody go?
  • wordsandmusic51
    Options
    Been a crazy busy day here. The sun is out, maybe everyone else was out and about enjoying the spring weather!

Hope you had a good day!
  • Joanne_happygramma
    Options
    Just finally settling down here for the night and even thought I am no longer the lone Canadian I believe I am pretty much alone here on the west coast. I hope everyone is looking forward to a great weekend. Saturday is grandson time at Gymboree, it's a fun workout keeping up with an almost 3 year old that likes to "run so fast".

Joanne
  • wordsandmusic51
    Options
    Joanne, I know how it is to be in a time zone so far off, lol. When I was in Alaska I was always up late but even then everyone else was asleep when I was at my peak!
    Sounds like we have both had a great Grandma weekend. :) I was up late cleaning and doing dishes, etc. after they left and then I was hoping to crash and get a good nights sleep because I was so worn out, but one of my west coast friends called because she was in crisis mode, so it was a long night of back and forth phone calls and worrying until I knew she was okay (husband had a heart attack). Thankfully, he is doing well and both are okay today.
    But, I can barely keep my eyes open so I will have to visit here a bit later to catch up!
    Have a great rest of the day!
  • Joanne_happygramma
    Options
    Rest easy Sue, so glad you had a wonderful Saturday and so sorry to hear about your friend. Off to go shopping in a minute here. We went to the gym this morning and then my friend and I went off for our weekly coffee (ok I had tea -- trying not to drink my calories). I don't mind keeping things going by myself in the evenings - -we just need to light a fire under everyone.
    Joanne