Metabolic Type

jodecicco
jodecicco Posts: 5 Member
Morning, How is metabolic type determined? My is protein. I don't know why but this surprised me. I thought for sure I'd be a carb type.

How do I fit this type into a runner's carb heavy diet. So far I've been following the plan which is more protein heavy but haven't done any long runs over 5 miles. As I start training for the Brooklyn half in May what energy producing food would you recommend? For a half my longest run will be between 9 and 11 miles.

As per another post, I can still eat my banana in the early morning before crossfit and/or short running distance. Typically for runs longer than 6 miles I eat a bagel before the run. Do I replace the wonderful bagel with something else?
And sometimes, depending on how the run is going, I'll take a gu mid run.
I did bring gatorade on a longer run but now I'll bring water with some salt added. :)

As you can see I have so many questions!

Replies

• cnwnutritionist
    cnwnutritionist Posts: 38 Member
    Hi,

The plan that you are on was specifically devised for you to lose weight from fat and not muscle. Did you tell Alyssa that you are a long distance runner and training for a marathon in the papers that you filled out originally? If not, I would definitely speak with her when she visits your group for the next presentation, which I believe, is coming up in the next couple of weeks. This will give you plenty of time to train for your race in May.

The best foods to fuel with for long distance running are always the highest quality foods. Whole grains are always better than refined grains. Whole grains contain more nutrients than refined grains. I know that bagels are wonderfully tasty, but they can range from anywhere from 3-4 servings of starch. They are digested quickly and to our body are almost the same thing as eating table sugar. If the bagel that you love has a nutrition label, check out how many carbs are in it.

One serving of starch is 20-25grams of carbohydrate

and on this program you must have less than 5grams of fat. So, if you want to eat your bagel- the better option is to combine it with some protein, which will slow the sugar rush and be better for your metabolism. Or, opt for a whole grain alternative. In order for a grain to be whole it will say “whole” on the nutrition label. Whole grains are absorbed more slowly because they contain more fiber and they also contain more nutrition. Other energy boosting carbs suggestions would be sweet potatoes or yams, squash, quinoa, oats, or brown rice.

Also, remember that fruits and veggies are also a good source of carbohydrates and are also packed with antioxidants, vitamins and minerals that are so important when strenuously exercising. Most long distance runners will eat more carbs than you are eating right now. But you will have time to make the adjustment in April to prepare for your race in May.

Happy Spring tomorrow!!

Beth