Decisions, decisions...

Options
This may be lengthy.

At the beginning of July, I purchased a new horse, a 2008 mare who was a little on the small side (max. 15.3), snotty, ill mannered, and to be quite honest, a little ill-tempered. I had her in for a tune up and sell for her owner, who adored her but ran a western facility and had no use for this very english type mare. So she got her tuneup, but when it came time to list her, there was just something in me that said, "buy this horse, don't list her. Just make an offer to the owner and see what happens." The owner, whom I had a great working relationship with, was ecstatic that I wanted to keep her, and sold her to me for buttons.

Then a series of unfortunate events (a farrier diced off her feet, she cut her leg on a gait and had to be laid up, etc etc) put her on rest for nearly 4 months, bringing us to October. Then my old boss used her on a film set as a gallop horse for a little bit. That ended quickly as I didn't feel she was receiving adequate care while working.

Anyways. She was always a spectacular mover with a bit of a righteous, holier than thou attitude. But I feel like she's really coming into herself. She's grown 2" since July, and now stands a sticked 16.1 and 1/4, she's filled out a ton, and I just have this feeling about her. I've owned a few horses (about 6) and all of them, I feel like I was pretty good at judging potential... whether it'd be a good low level horse, children's hunter, etc etc. But this horse has me stumped.

I feel like I'm not even tapped into her talent. I feel like every time that I think, "Oh, she'll make a good 3'3" hunter and I'm satisfied with that", she gives me something else. I feel like I'm barely scraping the surface of what this mare can do. And it has me a little bit scared, to be honest. I feel like my coach at my current barn is just trying to mould her into something simple (a 2'9" hunter) because she is pretty, moves pretty, jumps pretty and will probably bring home a mess of ribbons. But I truly think that she has more.

Now, I sometimes worry that I'm looking at her through rose tinted glasses, but I honestly think that she's got something else in there and I don't really know what to do.

I've picked up so many bad habits riding at my current barn because my coach can be quite inattentive, and my barn is so full of drama that I never want to be there riding, which makes her very hot when I do ride because she's not being worked consistently. My coach has no urge to get horses shown above the Trillium (for you Ontarians) or "B" level (for everyone else lol) and I want to tap her potential. I've been speaking with a perspective new coach, who thinks that she definitely has "A" potential, or even more. So, I think I am going to move her to another facility with no lesson program, and just hire a freelance coach to come in and work with us. I also think that, as I have a bad feeling she is still growing, we are going to focus solely on dressage for the next year or so.

I'm currently in University (I went a little late, am just starting this year at 21) so plan to try and get her with a really solid foundation in dressage and schooling at least first level by next year, then get her jumping a little bit more (she will be coming seven then). Is it wrong to want to school her to perfection and hold off on showing until I am done school (she will be 8)? This is less of questions and just more if everyone thinks my plan is crazy.

I literally feel like there is nothing more to life than horses. I go to university to have a good job so that I can take my horse one step further. I work to support my horse (and myself, but I'd eat canned soup every night before giving her up), everything in my life, even weight loss, is based around how it will improve this horse.

I was never like that with other horses. I went out and partied, I did this and that, etc etc, but she is so different. I feel like I need to put all of my energy and resources into her because she's "the one". And it's a little bit overwhelming to me, to have a horse with so much pent up talent. I worry that I am not the best rider for her. I can ride her, yes- but am I pulling the absolute best from her?

So, I guess my question is ... what do you do with a horse who has talents that far surpass your own skills? How do you find their "niche" when they are built for all rings (dressage, jumpers, hunters)?

Replies

• alipene
    alipene Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    I do not have the knowledge or experience to advise you, but I think you should keep a diary, because if you're instinct is correct, she may provide you with material for a horsey best-seller and film rights!

Good luck with whatever you decide!
  • foxyninja398
    foxyninja398 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I'm not a jumping/dressage person, but it sounds like you are approaching the point where you are outgrowing your couch. If you love this mare and are wanting to see just how far you can go together, you need to be with a couch who will encourage the most growth and help you get the most out of your horse and yourself. Go with your gut, I've found what you instinctively feel is often the right course of action.

Good luck.
  • Okapi42
    Okapi42 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I agree - you find someone who can share your enthusiasm and advise you.

I bought a similar "disaster" horse. At eight years old, he wouldn't even lead properly, and bolted at everything.

I took the time to listen to him - ground work and clicker training before even trying to ride again to get his confidence up - and now he's my horse in a million. Totally fixated on me, too, so I don't think I could ever share him.

And then, being frustrated with the instructors who just use the same formula for every horse, I moved barns and started lessons with my wonderful current trainer.

We'll never be great in any of the "rings", but that's not what I want. I want him for show/re-enactment, and within three months we've gone from not knowing what leg yield is to cantering around one-handed with a lance, knocking traffic cones off barrels...

Maybe just ask your horse what it is she wants to do.