bench press blues

Options
i've been stuck at 85lbs for a while now - i've attempted 90 lbs but it was tough and i couldn't complete 5x5 ...how do you get pass a major stall ? should i just go up and do what i can in 5 sets and not worry about not being able to 5 reps ?????

Replies

• jstout365
    jstout365 Posts: 1,686 Member
    Options
    are you arching your back and using your legs to drive up the bar? I know it sounds funny, but bench press is just as much of a full body lift as any of the other lifts. Check out the "So you think you can bench" series on youtube. I was able to go higher using the "power lifter" form than just a flat press.
  • krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Yep, also, even if you don,t hit 5 reps on all sets the first time you go up in weight, keep trying a few workouts in a row. You might actually get there! And if you don't after 3 times, drop the weight down 10lbs and add a rep. You'll go up eventually :)
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    are you arching your back and using your legs to drive up the bar? I know it sounds funny, but bench press is just as much of a full body lift as any of the other lifts. Check out the "So you think you can bench" series on youtube. I was able to go higher using the "power lifter" form than just a flat press.

Yup great series...I watched it last week...made me realize I wasn't tightening up my entire body enough so now I have fixed that...

I am as "worn out" after a bench as I am squats or OHP...

and yes try the same weight for 3 work outs....but I think the deload was 10% not 10lbs...I have done that on my bench before when I got stuck at 110 ...down to 100 and got past 110 after I got back up to that weight...that was just recently...now trying for 115..
  • griffithm1
    griffithm1 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    What jstout said-leg drive. I was dreading bench for a while but I think I finally am understanding the leg drive thing. Your arms are lifting the bar over your head ( vertically) but your legs are pushing you up the bench horizontally. Moving my hands in some helped too. This video really helped me. http://youtu.be/34XRmd3a8_0

Hope that helps! Congrats on where you are. You're killing it!
    Mari