Road trippin

Options
mojisha
mojisha Posts: 36 Member
Hi all! Nearing the end of this challenge and I'm doing pretty well, averaging a lb a week (my goal). Of course now I get a wrench in my plans. Taking a long road trip south to celebrate my daughter's first birthday and need some advice on how to stay on track. It will be two 11 hr car rides and two 3 hr rides in 4 days will mean a lot of fast food, plus the party on Saturday. I hope to pack some food for a picnic on the way down, but I don't think I'll be able to do it on the way back. And I don't see exercise fitting in anywhere. Any advice on how to stay on track?

Replies

• GBrady43068
    GBrady43068 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    My advice would be to take a small cooler and take some healthy snacks with you...string cheese, yogurt, granola bars, Clif-type protein bars, fruit, carrot sticks, etc. When you get ready to leave where you're headed, swing by the local grocery and restock.

It might add an extra 30 minutes to your trip back (and your prep time before leaving) but it will definitely save you calories over grabbing something "quick" at the drivethrough. If you are keeping your sugar up during the long trip, you'll be less likely to overindulge at the restaurant and you can make a non-calorie bomb choice when it's time for lunch/dinner.

Pre-plan your fast food choices by checking out their websites for nutritional info. You can avoid making poor choices by knowing what you want to get before you're staring at a menu filled with grease and sugar.

As far as exercise goes, 11 hours is a long time in the car...if you can stop a couple times at rest areas, you can make it a point to spend 10-15 minutes while you're there and take a walk and stretch your legs. It will make you more alert, refresh you and get you SOME amount of exercise even if it's not full-out cardio.

As to the party Saturday, try and snack before you go on healthier stuff to take the edge off hunger and drink plenty of water...that will help.

Also, food can be fast without being "fast food". Consider stopping at a grocery store deli for ready to go sandwich over a BigMacWhopperitoSupreme. :tongue:

Good luck and enjoy your daughter!
  • mojisha
    mojisha Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Great tips! String cheese and quick bites are a good idea. I'm packing sandwiches for the ride down, but for some reason stopping at the grocery store on the way back didn't occur to me. Likewise breaking up walking into 10 or 15 min chunks is a perfect solution. This is why you've made your challenge goal already! Thanks.
  • Spambo16
    Spambo16 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    GBrady said everything I was going to! The only thing I'd add is making sure you have plenty of water available in the car, as well. I know I can go a lot longer without snacking if I have something to sip, and that way you'll be less tempted by the smell of fries or cookies when all you meant to stop for was a Diet Coke.