can running be in my future?

Options
I know this group is pretty dead, but I hope I can get some advice. I lost 80lbs and was running/sprinting lightly twice a week and horseback riding twice a week. So even though I was still very overweight at 205lbs (5'5'') I was very fit. Running kept me motivated with my eating and I felt such an accomplishment with it. Then in April of last year I was diagnosed with degenerative disc disease, a herniated disc (don't remember the numbers but mid to low back), and a slight curvature in my spine that could be the cause of my perfectly fine hips hurting (off and on past few years). Also my legs go numb and hurt sometimes when sitting in an upright chair (like in a restaurant). Possibly sciatica? I was working full time then at a grocery store and had had a lot of trouble controlling the pain with that and riding. I was told by my doctor I should stop riding all together and probably shouldn't be running. So I picked what I couldn't live without which was riding. But the expense of the pain and no running and my mental breakdown was a gain of 40lbs. So I'm back here after a long time and I need to get this weight off. I'm still in pain and it changes from day to day, but I only take meds if I can't stand it. Last night I went for a walk with my dog (which hurts my mid back and hips) and I couldn't help it:I wanted to run. So I sprinted about an 1/8 th of mile before my shins said stop. It was awesome and terrible. Because I wanted to keep going but I was scared to. So my question: can I run? I know y'all aren't doctors but I need advice. Is it worse to run at 245 lbs? Or to not run and either lose weight more slowly or not at all? Currently I'm eating 1600-1700 calories and riding twice a week. Quit my job for school and work at the barn (mostly walking and cleaning) 6 hours a week.

Replies

• cmurray326
    cmurray326 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi there,
    I lost a lot of weight and started having back pain. When I was heavier, I can tell you that just walking 90 min eventually hurt my knees and feet. If you want to run, I would walk first. I would try to do three days a week. As you lose the weight then increase. I made the huge mistake of wanting the weight to come off fast and I over exercised. When you hurt your feet, it takes a really long time for them to heal.
    I was hoping to have felt amazing when losing weight. However, I hurt so much more now. I have pain going on one side of my back to my legs. It starts from the top of my back to the leg. I am not sure what that is but I am pushing forward with exercise and I hope it will go away soon. I hope that answers your question.
    Cheryl
  • mcarmon
    mcarmon Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Like cmurray326, I started having major back pain after losing a lot of weight (close to the 80 lb loss you achieved). Like you, the weight has come back and I'm working to figure out how I'm going to get back in shape. I strongly advocate the slow and steady approach to weight loss now--rushing it could just make your pain that much worse!

I know what it's like to wish you could run. I had to stop too and start doing shorter distance walks instead because of problems with my knee and my foot. I have to be careful about my shoes and inserts as well, or I get really bad shin splints even walking.

The best advice I can offer you is to LISTEN to your BODY. Doctors don't know everything and neither do strangers on the internet. Your body is obviously craving exercise, so do as much of it as you can without inviting additional injury. If you're only able to run 1/8 of a mile without your body forcing you to stop, that's a huge clue that you don't need to be running right now, especially in addition to the other physical activity you're doing. But you may be able to slowly work back up to it, beginning with increasing the distance/pace of your walks and seeing how your body reacts.

You may also want to get a referral to a physical therapist. I used to see one for my back and in the large room with all the tables and equipment, I often saw them working with athletes on treadmills. They may be able to look at the way you walk and run and give you some advice on how to do it with the least amount of stress on your "problem" joints.

Finally, I want to wish you the best of luck in your journey towards better health!
  • seapard
    seapard Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I'd consider going to a PT, and for a while at that. You need to learn how to move different so as not to hurt your back, and developing that muscle memory takes time. I'm still doing more jog/walking but it's a start. I wear Brooks glycerin shoes with an orthotic I was fitted for by my PT and also wear an SI belt.

Also, Pilates. Lots and lots of Pilates to built up core strength. You need a lot of that before you even consider running.
  • rdgpjen
    rdgpjen Posts: 4
    Options
    Hi guys--new to the boards/forums, and this one is a little old, but I thought I would weigh in for anyone who's interested. I'm not really overweight (although much heavier than I should be...long story), but my back has been a problem now for about 5 months. Well, actually my whole life. Even as a skinny kid. This winter, though, I found out a couple of great things. First. My sciatica responded AMAZINGLY (emphasis intended...it was a damn miracle) to acupuncture. I mean the pain stopped immediately and hasn't been back. Not sure if this is proven thing. But holy cow did it work for me. Granted, you get needles in you butt for half an hour. But that seems well worth it.

The next thing that was really hit home to me was first that back pain is very individualized and next, for me it's all about core strength. I've been this crazy weird absurdly flexible person for my entire life (doing splits up against a wall was a party trick for me in my younger, obviously more foolish years...but it was very easy! Even now, without stretching, in my mid-40s, I can bend over and put my hands flat on the floor, even in heels...let me tell you...flexible.) But the chickens that have come home to roost is my utter lack of core strength. So things that my core should be taking the brunt of are getting sloughed off to my overly flexible back. And it's finally had enough!

So bottom line for me is that I can stress my back, but if I do it without the counter-balancing core-strengthing/stability exercises, I'm in a lot of pain. And at this point in my life, I have to pay attention. it just doesn't go away as easily.

Bottom line overall, though, is that back pain seems to be very personal. I learned what my problems were not from a doc, but from an exercise physiologist who could see instantly that I was too flexible (without the counterbalancing core stability). My recommendation is to find a pro who can help you understand YOUR specific situation. And then you may get a path to running, to anything! Good luck to you! I know how hard it is to want to do something tough like run, and your body is the biggest protestor! Good luck!
  • rdgpjen
    rdgpjen Posts: 4
    Options
    PS. And I agree with some of the earlier posters. Even though I've run a bunch of marathons, now that my back is a serious issue for me, I am just fine with A LOT of walking to get me back into running. I take the time to enjoy it and run in short bursts as prescribed by my PT. It's working. Don't be afraid of walking. It may make all the difference of easing you back into running versus injury by running too far too soon!