New Here!

Options
Just thought I would post an say Hi. Just joined the group. I am one appointment away (on Tuesday!!) from being able to submit to my insurance company for approval for VSG. My patient coordinator says that with my insurance we should get a reply in 7-14 days after that. I am so excited.. but also really nervous too. I'm sure this is normal. Not having second thoughts or anything like that, just really nervous. My boyfriend, friends and family, for the most part, are being supportive my decision.

Any advice for prepping for surgery? I was considering starting my surgeon's take on the two week pre-op diet sooner as I'm hoping this may help me stick with the required two weeks better. Best foods? Favorite foods for that first month post-op? I had to do a dietitian class and all and I have a small book that outlines everything I'm allowed, just looking for outside the box ideas.. I tend to get bored easily with some flavors. lol

Anyway.. Looking forward to hearing from you all! Take care!!

-Ana

Replies

• Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    Meats have to be really well puréed and wet, otherwise they mat and get stuck. Especially for me chicken. I know they had canned cream soups on my diet but they weren't really cream based, they had potato starch in them. And they made me violently ill. I made my own real cream soups like tomato bisque. I found that moo goo gai pan-no rice, puréed well for me.nibbling on cheese sticks was good. Lentils and beans have become a staple for me from early on. I ate lots of soft scrambled eggs with butter. Tomatoes, cucumbers and avocados were almost daily items
  • caccicoo
    caccicoo Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    This is something that I posted recently on another website. It is not directed at you, Ana, but are my thoughts on WLS in general.

My general thoughts on the topic: I had a Sleeve done on November 13th and I have lost 47 lbs since then however, since the first day I walked into my doctor's office to discuss WLS, I have lost 101 lbs. I have absolutely no regrets and am thrilled with how I feel. I was on a waitlist to get the surgery for 5 years. This particular surgery is not well funded where I live and there are only 2 doctors that do it so the waits are long. As frustrating as it was to wait for 5 years, I spent the time working with an addictions counsellor to deal with the issues that made me eat in the first place. I did not become morbidly obese by eating the occasional extra bag of Doritos. My eating was definitely an addiction. So, the best advice that I can give is to not rush into the surgery - do the background work first. Find a really good addictions counsellor who knows what he/she is talking about (preferably someone who has already walked the journey) and spend the time figuring out why you eat the way you eat. 50% of people with weight loss surgery gain back the weight plus more. This is not a quick fix - it is only one tool to becoming a healthy, normal weighted individual.
  • LadyAna88
    Options
    I've been researching and talking with Doctor's for years. This is not, nor has it ever been, a rushed decision. Thanks.
  • LadyAna88
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions. Blended and pureed meats do no sound like something I would be willing to try. I don't think I could get past the fact that I knew what it is. LOL. But everything else sounded okay.. I can't do eggs.. havent been able to eat them in years :( i've been doing more research on my own for more ideas and all. I think I'll be alright :D LOL
  • DixieD79
    DixieD79 Posts: 16
    Options
    Congrats on your decision to go for it! I had mine 3/18. I did a 1 week pre-op liquid diet and for me...it was enough. I was to the point I hated the shakes and would rather do without (although I couldn't) than to choke down one more. I think if I had to do the 2 weeks like that, my will power might not have lasted. However, I hear others here and other boards saying they love the shakes and drink them regularly, even if no longer required. There are a variety of flavors available so that does help some.

Every doc is different, but my doc has ok'd soft meats (like fish, tuna, grilled chicken mushed with a fork and chewed forever) at 3 weeks post-op. Of course I've got to listen to my tummy and if it says no, then I'll have to leave it alone and try again later.

My supper plan for tonight is either a scrambled egg with 2% shredded cheese OR refried beans with 2% shredded cheese. I can't decide which I want more...but I am sure that I won't be able to hold all of either choice. At this point, holding 1 sugar free popsicle is too much for me.
  • CrainT1
    CrainT1 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Best of luck to you, be prepared some do better than others post op. I know I had terrible gas pains that the pains meds do not address, but got through it. Just know you will be really drained and tired the first couple of months due to the amount of food you are not eating as well as the changes your body is going through. Take time to realize that this too will pass. I really was going stir crazy by the end of the 3 weeks I was off work. Granted I do a desk job so not too bad to get bad to afterwards, the worst was the first couple of day sitting in a chair with the stomach in not the greatest position. So if you have desk job bring an extra pillow or something if you are able to help find a comfortable position. And sorry this is probably against advice of everyone else but EAT WHAT YOU WANT until the day prior to the surgery. Enjoy what you cannot have for a very long while is my thoughts sorry all. You will have enough of soft foods and shakes by the end of the first couple of weeks. I still have issues with eating after a nights sleep so I continue to do the Premier Protein Shake for breakfast just goes down easier for me. And then I am already done with 11oz liquids and 30 grams of protein for the day YEAH! Not sure what your program will require after surgery but I have to have 64oz of liquids everyday and 60-80 grams of protein, so I get what I can get in. Keep a glass of water with you at all times to sip on to get the liquids down as if you miss there is no playing catch up again. And remember this is a long term commitment and you will do fine. I am down 60lbs and about 3.5 month in to my surgery which was on 12/10/13. But I can tell you getting a routine at the gym or whatever exercise you do is very important to your weight loss goal and continued success. Need to go each week find new ways to exercise, parking farther away, taking the stairs, doing squats while waiting for food to cook etc. Also cottage cheese is great with seasoning, very soft for your healing stomach. And your new fast food go to food will be Wendy's Chili a small has tons of protein without too much fat and sugars. Do not expect to eat a whole small chili your first go around and remember it is okay to take a while to eat DO NOT RUSH or you will pay for it in the end. And not sure again about your program but not drinking 30 minutes before eating and 30 after helps so much, do not expect the liquids to help if you over eat as the stomach is already full. I learned that the hard way..... Good Luck
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    You will be on liquids for a bit after so start now trying various protein drinks. Shakes are creamy, Ispoure is water based. I like both, but buy now in small amounts and try. Your tastes may change after surgery, so don't buy in quantity until after the surgery and you can see what you still like.

I'm more of a savory person so I wasn't big on the shakes or the Isopure. My doctor's office offered protein infused chicken and beef broth as well as some other soups. All high protein and that's what I lived on for the liquid diet portion of recovery. I can do shakes and such much easier now, I think because I can eat real food too, so the sweet isn't bad for one meal.

Get a good unflavored protein powder. I use Syntrax and it does change the consistency of some foods but not the flavor. Getting enough protein at the beginning is huge and adding a scoop of unflavored protein powder will help.

Remember that a sleeved tummy doesn't like anything dry. So plan on making sure all food is moist or has a sauce to it. I am 2.5 years out and still get a "stuck" feeling if something is too dry.

Biggest advise I can give you is follow your doctor's orders, don't rush yourself through recovery, make sure to get all your water in and you will be fine. Good luck.