Dead lifts - just one set?

Options
grapaj
grapaj Posts: 136 Member
I've started the program and like it but am I interpreting it right in that all exercises are 5x5, except the deadlift is 1x5?
Is it supposed to be a really heavy weight? I did 5x5 @95lbs today not realizing it was supposed to be one set...and it was fine. Next time should I be adding a lot more weight, more than 10lbs as specified, to make the one set really hard?

Thx!

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Yes just one set...

They aren't heavy now but 10lbs every time you do them they get heavy fast...

I just did 200lbs...I wouldn't want to do 25 of those.
  • rlw911
    rlw911 Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Yep, when it gets heavy, one set is plenty! I would stay at 95 lbs, unless you have a lot of previous lifting experience. At 10 lbs a workout, it'll get heavy pretty quickly.
  • hananah89
    hananah89 Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    yes I just did 165lbs last B day, and I failed. 155lbs was a struggle and 165 I could only get the bar up once out of 3 tries. Don't worry, your time shall come!
  • rlw911
    Options
    Don't forget to do warm up sets, too! I usually only do 3 reps. I'm not sure if that's right, but it feels like the right balance between warming up, without overdoing it.
  • lizafava2
    lizafava2 Posts: 185
    Options
    Yes warm up for sure. I watched some Medhi video where he said you shouldn't have to warm up for the DL because you were already warm from the other workouts. Well, I wasn't getting enough practice with my DL form so I have a few warm-up sets. I lift 175 now and 5 times of that is *plenty*.
  • MissGamerGirl
    MissGamerGirl Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Wow. I had completely overlooked this and had no idea you were only supposed to do one set.

Good thing I'm still a newbie with SL and only at 80 lbs!
  • rlw911
    Options
    Yes warm up for sure. I watched some Medhi video where he said you shouldn't have to warm up for the DL because you were already warm from the other workouts. Well, I wasn't getting enough practice with my DL form so I have a few warm-up sets. I lift 175 now and 5 times of that is *plenty*.

I've heard different things and both make sense. I like doing a few warm ups to get the extra practice, too. It helps me get all the steps/cues in my head and make sure my form is good.

(off topic - lizfava2, I want to hear about your trip to Belize! I'm very jealous.)