Protein in the first week

Options
So, I had my surgery on Tuesday and today is the first day I feel okay. My question is how much protein should i be getting in this first week? Yesterday I drank one oz of isopure. The rest of the time I was just trying to get in enough water. Should I be worried about getting my 80 grams of protein or still just concentrate on my liquid intake?

Replies

• Losing_Sarah
    Losing_Sarah Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    No. 80 grams would be pretty difficult this early out. Isopure is a drink, right? Why not just finish one bottle off a day to boost your protein a bit and it does count as fluids.

I know some nuts say don't count your shakes or protein drinks as fluids, but that is just silly. Sorry, it is made almost completely of water, and while it is giving you protein it is also hydrating your body (the point of getting your water in)

Anyway, things get easier over time, so don't push yourself this early out. Your still healing and will be for a while.
  • sue100194
    sue100194 Posts: 129
    Options
    As I remember, my doctor wanted me to get at least 30 g of protein per day over that first couple weeks and increase from there because it was a struggle to drink more than 1 shake total per day in the first week. And I also counted the shake as part of my fluid requirement.
  • Latse
    Latse Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Same as above, Isopure counts as fluid, try to get at least one bottle in per day then work on water. If you are having a lot of problems drinking try altering the temp of the fluid, really hot broths or ice cold fluids worked best for me right after surgery.

I remember the nurse telling me the first week or two they aren't really conserned with calorie/protein stuff, they just want you to stay hydrated cuz dehydration is a really easy way to end up back in the hospital.
  • itsdreday
    itsdreday Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    My docs said 60 - 80g of protein was vital from the start. I have 2 8oz shakes a day that total 70g. They are a big pain for the first few weeks.
  • Ksh1055
    Ksh1055 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    My surgeon gave me a 10-12 page document outlining each eating phase starting at pre-surgery through what I should end up eating at the very end of my healing. This document has helped me a great deal as it shows the breakdown by what type of foods, how to prepare it, food/drink suggestions and protein count for each phase, including do and don't foods for the rest of my life.

Water and protein were always her #1 concern, then came exercise.
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    Just keep sipping, constantly.both are sooo important.