Cramping early in pregnancy

Options
Hi everyone,
This is my first time posting to this group.
THis is my first pregnancy so I have a very huge learning curve .
I am about 5 weeks pregnant and started having slight cramping almost like period pains and am not sure what is considered normal and what would be abnormal to contact the doctor.I do not have my first OB appointment until 8 weeks.
I have read several articles on this saying slight cramping is normal but "Slight" could mean different things to different people.
How long does this go on for and should I worry?
Thanks,
Teresa

Replies

• KF1216
    KF1216 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your pregnancy!
    Cramping is normal in most all stages of pregnancy. As long as you aren't spotting you should try not to worry. That uterus has a lot of growing to do and it doesn't always feel comfortable. Good luck!
  • HeidiR119
    HeidiR119 Posts: 16
    Options
    Congrats again :) I also had the cramping... mine started at about 4 weeks, and I thought that I was going to get my period(before I knew I was pregnant)---and it lasted up until recently. I just turned 7 weeks a few days ago and it's pretty much all gone now. I have still gotten a little bit here and there the last few days, but for the most part it's gone. I had my first ultrasound at 6 weeks 1 day(they see you at 6 weeks here) and everything was normal and we seen the little heart beating!

My doctor also assured me that the cramping is normal, just your uterus expanding, and that you shouldn't be concerned unless you have any spotting.
  • HeidiR119
    HeidiR119 Posts: 16
    Options
    Also, I should add that sometimes the cramping was so uncomfortable it would wake me up at night.... however I wasn't doubling over in pain... just was uncomfortable. And that was before my appointment, so I was reassured that all was normal and I'm sure that yours is too! :)
  • spunkychelsea
    spunkychelsea Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I cramped until about 10 weeks with all 3 pregnancies. And one of them the cramping picked back up at 13 weeks! Agree with a pp - no spotting I wouldn't worry too much (but let's face it, we all worry when pregnant!).

Congrats!
  • jgolden3
    jgolden3 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! I'm about 13 weeks now, and still cramping. Some days are better than others, but still very uncomfortable at times. My dr says it's normal though and not to worry. Sometimes the worrying is much worse for you;) It's so hard not to though! Just rest as much as possible, everything is probably just fine :)
  • HeyNikkita
    HeyNikkita Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Very normal.

I think later on, the cramping turns into more... pulling and mild aching as your muscles and ligaments stretch (my experience so far).
  • sunflower92630
    sunflower92630 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    thank you all for your responses I love that I have a community here that I can go to and not about this stuff as really noone except my immediate family knows and i want to keep it that way not to mention I am one of the first in my close circle of girlfriends to be pregnant so not much help there I'm kinda the guinea pig I guess. :)
  • tiggerhammon
    tiggerhammon Posts: 2,211 Member
    Options
    Has your cramping gone?

My sister just got pregnant with her second and was cramping a lot. She ignored it at first but it continued constantly (never easing up even for a minute) and wasn't getting any better.
    I told her she should get checked, just in case.
    I am unsure of exactly what was happening (I should ask her) but she said the Dr said she probably would have lost the baby if she hadnt come in when she did. She is on strict bed rest now.

Cramping is normal, but to a certain extent.