Introducing myself...

Options
Thaeda
Thaeda Posts: 834 Member
Hello! I was sleeved on 1/27. I have had no complications (YAY!). I am eating between 600 and 800 cals per day (usually closer to the 800 end of things). I workout every day. I do strength training Mon & Fri, Bikram yoga Tues & Thurs, and various forms of cardio Wed. (45 min), Sat.(60 min), and Sunday (30-45 min).

For right now, I am religiously sticking to the nutritional guidelines, but I have to be honest-- I have seen sooooooo many posts about regain.... I know-- it is silly to be worried about regain when I am only 2 months out from surgery, but it still is disconcerting. It seems so easy to go back to old habits... so far that has not been an issue, but I am still such a newbie.

Anyway, I have lost almost 35 pounds since my surgery, and overall I am feeling good. Looking forward to being a part of this community.

Replies

• VSGJill
    VSGJill Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Welcome! Congratulations on your weight loss!
  • Thaeda
    Options
    Welcome! Congratulations on your weight loss!

Thanks much! :)
  • Ksh1055
    Ksh1055 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I think you are doing great. I was sleeved 2/5/14 and had begun eating 5-6 small meals a day since before the beginning of the year to help me get into the habit. I know there will be days/times I will slip, but I always have in mind how much I want to look and have the energy that I used to.

When I go somewhere (other than a restaurant) I always take 2-3 items that I can use for my meals in order to stay on schedule and get my protein in. Remember, milk is a meal. I freeze my Greek Yogurt and always have some type of soup on hand. I am just beginning the end stage of the food levels so am trying to get used to real food again and so far, so good.
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    It is not at all silly to worry about regain!!! It is always a good reminder that anyone can eat around WLS. You will choose to follow the healthy lifestyle and continue to lose or you will choose not to. You will choose to deal with your problems or you will choose to medicate with food. There is no magic regain, it is a choice. I focus on my daily choices. I forgive myself for my past choices that destroyed my health but I remind myself it is my choice moving forward. 50% of WLS pts regain their wt in under 5 yrs it is very smart of you to be very aware of that!
  • Thaeda
    Options
    Thx for the facts about regain. I was talking to my trainer today during my workout and I told her, I do NOT want to have to go through this whole weight losing thing again! I have been up and down the scale my whole life--- I had this surgery to get the weight off FOR GOOD.

I have noticed this last week I have been more hungry-- some of my days I have been as high as 1000 cals. I workout a lot, though so I think I am ok. Everything I eat is protein or veggies.
  • hurricanelena
    hurricanelena Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Welcome! We were sleeved about the same time (mine was 1/29).

I have the same worries as you about regain, especially when I see people saying they are only eating 600-800 cal/day. I find I usually run closer to 1000-1100 (800 "net" by MFP's reckoning), but my nutritionist keeps talking me off of seriously cutting back because of how active I am. I find when I'm not eating at that level, I can't perform in biking or running. My blood sugar also starts to get dangerously low (for which I got yelled at by from my surgeon).
  • Thaeda
    Options
    Welcome! We were sleeved about the same time (mine was 1/29).

I have the same worries as you about regain, especially when I see people saying they are only eating 600-800 cal/day. I find I usually run closer to 1000-1100 (800 "net" by MFP's reckoning), but my nutritionist keeps talking me off of seriously cutting back because of how active I am. I find when I'm not eating at that level, I can't perform in biking or running. My blood sugar also starts to get dangerously low (for which I got yelled at by from my surgeon).

Well, I know there are people out there who can do 600 cals/day, and for awhile I was trying to hang-- but then I reminded myself-- this is MY journey. I have to do what works for me and what is sustainable for me long term. And 600 -800 cals ain't it. ;)
  • ChelleDJM
    ChelleDJM Posts: 161
    Options
    Hello and thank you for your post! I am just a few days post op and starting to feel great. I will be looking to you for the future stuff. I love that you are doing so much exercise! That is awesome! There are so many classes I have wanted to do, but was too embarrassed to try at my weight. I will start slow with my old friend elliptical and then I cannot wait to feel comfortable enough to try yoga.
  • Thaeda
    Options
    Hello and thank you for your post! I am just a few days post op and starting to feel great. I will be looking to you for the future stuff. I love that you are doing so much exercise! That is awesome! There are so many classes I have wanted to do, but was too embarrassed to try at my weight. I will start slow with my old friend elliptical and then I cannot wait to feel comfortable enough to try yoga.

Glad you are feeling well post-op. I felt pretty good and then week #2 I got hit with some major mood swings and such-- I have heard that is not atypical, so head's up!!

I have been practicing Bikram yoga for over a year. I LOVE it and honestly, it is the practice that allowed me to get in touch with by body better and have the courage to choose to have the surgery in the first place.

:)
  • Madbullogna
    Options
    Hello there Sleeve-Date Buddy, I had my OP same day as you!. Also just signed up for this group, (not trying to hijack, haha). Great job on the success thus far. (I had some dehydration issues in the first few weeks that required IV fluids, but overall have done well). It sounds like your intake is where your body needs it to be. I've found mine has been getting a lot closer to my 'self-imposed' 650/day limit, so perhaps it's time I raise it a bit so I can increase my energy levels. Anyways, grats on the success, and keep on losing. :-)
  • VSGJill
    VSGJill Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Madbullogna, welcome to the group!! Glad to hear you are doing well.