Lent Encouragement/Scripture

Options
DragonflyF15
DragonflyF15 Posts: 437 Member
Thought I would add a few verses about being sober and of sober mind :)

Therefore, prepare your minds for action, keep sober in spirit, fix your hope completely on the grace to be brought to you at the revelation of Jesus Christ. 1 Peter 1:13

But since we are of the day, let us be sober, having put on the breastplate of faith and love, and as a helmet, the hope of salvation 1 Thessalonians 5:8

For by the grace given me I say to every one of you: Do not think of yourself more highly than you ought, but rather think of yourself with sober judgment, in accordance with the faith God has distributed to each of you. Romans 12:3

For the overseer must be above reproach as God's steward, not self-willed, not quick-tempered, not addicted to wine, not pugnacious, not fond of sordid gain, 8but hospitable, loving what is good, sensible, just, devout, self-controlled, Titus 1:7-8

Resist the temptation and be mindful of your actions! :)

Replies

• Meg5065
    Meg5065 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Many thanks! I'm still sober, and hoping to stay that way.

Meg
  • caroldavison332
    caroldavison332 Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    Glad to hear it.

Still praying for those who drive me to distraction.
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I fell off the wagon last week. It was my birthday!!!:ohwell:
  • Marigny23
    Marigny23 Posts: 19
    Options
    Don't stress yourself over it. Forgive yourself (and if you are doing this for religious reasons, know that God already has forgiven you!). I know that a lot of times for me when I make one mistake, I tend to start compounding them rather than forgiving myself and allowing myself a fresh start. For instance, if I ate a bunch of pizza for dinner, I feel I have already sabotaged my efforts so I might as well eat a cupcake... And the next day, since I sabotaged the day before, my bad choices Continue... Allow yourself to forgive, move on (hop right back on the bandwagon!), and don't get stuck in this vicious cycle. And, of course, happy birthday!
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    Don't stress yourself over it. Forgive yourself (and if you are doing this for religious reasons, know that God already has forgiven you!). I know that a lot of times for me when I make one mistake, I tend to start compounding them rather than forgiving myself and allowing myself a fresh start. For instance, if I ate a bunch of pizza for dinner, I feel I have already sabotaged my efforts so I might as well eat a cupcake... And the next day, since I sabotaged the day before, my bad choices Continue... Allow yourself to forgive, move on (hop right back on the bandwagon!), and don't get stuck in this vicious cycle. And, of course, happy birthday!

That's exactly what I did. I drank on my birthday then thought "Oh well I've already messed up keep drinking!!!" But like you said God is forgiving and I have forgivin myself and I am back on the wagon! Thanks for the birthday wishes!!!
  • Marigny23
    Marigny23 Posts: 19
    Options
    Dbanks, way to get back on the horse! We are more than halfway through Lent now, and I imagine that abstaining from alcohol on your birthday is the biggest challenge you have faced and will face during lent. It's all easier from here!
  • DragonflyF15
    DragonflyF15 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    Daniel 8-15:
    "8But Daniel resolved not to defile himself with the royal food and wine, and he asked the chief official for permission not to defile himself this way. 9Now God had caused the official to show favor and compassion to Daniel, 10but the official told Daniel, “I am afraid of my lord the king, who has assigned your food and drink. Why should he see you looking worse than the other young men your age? The king would then have my head because of you.”

11Daniel then said to the guard whom the chief official had appointed over Daniel, Hananiah, Mishael and Azariah, 12“Please test your servants for ten days: Give us nothing but vegetables to eat and water to drink. 13Then compare our appearance with that of the young men who eat the royal food, and treat your servants in accordance with what you see.” 14So he agreed to this and tested them for ten days.

15At the end of the ten days they looked healthier and better nourished than any of the young men who ate the royal food. 16So the guard took away their choice food and the wine they were to drink and gave them vegetables instead.

17To these four young men God gave knowledge and understanding of all kinds of literature and learning. And Daniel could understand visions and dreams of all kinds.

18At the end of the time set by the king to bring them into his service, the chief official presented them to Nebuchadnezzar. 19The king talked with them, and he found none equal to Daniel, Hananiah, Mishael and Azariah; so they entered the king’s service. 20In every matter of wisdom and understanding about which the king questioned them, he found them ten times better than all the magicians and enchanters in his whole kingdom."

The message I got from this was to take care of ourselves and not over indulge in food and wine, as Daniel wanted him and his men at the top peak shape and had the courage to stand up to the guard and refuse the king's wine and rich foods and have water and fresh foods instead. Going into another weekend, have the fridge stocked with plenty of fresh fruits, veggies and seltzers to reach for instead :)