weighing and measuring food

Options
lindabeth333
lindabeth333 Posts: 130 Member
I have decided that I need to buy a kitchen scale - when every calorie counts - I want to make sure that I am recording (and eating) amounts correctly. Does anyone have a good recommendation for an accurate kitchen scale?

Replies

• Joanne_happygramma
    Joanne_happygramma Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Salter makes very good scales. Just make sure you can zero out to weigh in a bowl. Mine is over five years old and I just replaced the batteries for the first time. I use it all day long.
  • lindabeth333
    Options
    Thanks - I think that it is time to be more precise on what I am eating - its easy to under eatimate!
  • CandiesAndSweets
    CandiesAndSweets Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Food scale is a worthy investment! It will give you pleasant surprises and not so pleasant LOL! But, it's the reason I finally started to lose weight. The scale I got is by Ozeri and I got it on Amazon for about $18. It does its job well :)
  • lindabeth333
    Options
    Thanks - I think that it will really make a difference in my calorie counts.
  • Joanne_happygramma
    Options
    It absolutely makes a difference. Sometimes depending on the food you can cheat yourself out of some nutrition -- like Cheerios. I weigh mine every single morning. It's very easy add too much when you go by eye, and easy to not get enough using a measuring cup. I have a (my opinion) fabulous frozen blueberry, yogurt and granola snack every day at coffee break. I love putting my container on the scale and measure out each of the ingredients. Bonus - no clean up of measuring cups and spoons.
  • lindabeth333
    Options
    I want every calorie thats coming to me!
  • SephiraRose
    SephiraRose Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    A digital food scale makes things much easier and accurate. I love mine, purchased it on ebay for $13 free SH. :wink:
  • Joanne_happygramma
    Options
    Made a kitchen sink salad tonight. Put my large bowl on the scale and just added everything. I was able to move between grams and ounces - we are bi-measuring here in Canada LOL. Was just great to account for everything. No matter what you purchase it will be the most used small appliance in your kitchen.
  • lindabeth333
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice - I ordered one today and will be interested to see how my approximations add up (or not!)