Do the symptoms ever go away?

Options
Like do we ever go back to being normal again. I was diagnosed with PCOS back in 2009. I hadn't had a regular period in over 10 years. About a week ago I started juicing to kick off my weight loss efforts and within two days I was spotting. I spotted for the next 4-5 days and then it subsided. Not a real period though. I'm losing weight in order to take control of my health and my life. Does anyone know if the symptoms can subside without medical intervention. I don't do medication.

Any tips and advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!

Replies

• miranda_mom
    miranda_mom Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    I have been off birth control twice in my adult life, both times to get pregnant.
    The first time, I was 28. My symptoms were not that bad then. In fact, I had only a "borderline" case of PCOS and could not technically get diagnosed with it. It took me a year but I got pregnant without meds or any fertility treatments. During that time, I do not remember any symptoms other than my cycles being long (6-8 weeks).
    Seven years later, I went off birth control again. This time, the symptoms were much worse. My hair was falling out excessively. And I had no cycle for seven months. I went on Metformin and the symptoms went away for the most part, I resumed my cycle and was able to get pregnant again.
    BTW, I weighed less the second time than I did the first so I don't wholly buy into the idea that it's only your weight that affects your cycle. Obviously my age had something to do with it as well. 35 vs. 28 the symptoms were much more severe, even at a lower weight.

ETA: Sorry if I sound negative, that was just my experience.
  • MeepleMuppet
    MeepleMuppet Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I think when it comes to a cycle, your efforts may very well help. The same thing seems to have happened to me. About six months ago, I started what I've been calling "lowish carb, lower sugar" diet and I've gotten a period every other month since then. I've never had it so often in my LIFE, so something's changed. And it's very possible that the acne got a little better as well, except that the increase in periods has increased the hormone-related flare-ups, so now it's just annoying two weeks out of the month instead of all the time. What has NOT gotten better is the ability to lose weight (still a struggle) and the facial hair. That's just as thick and luxurious as ever.
  • jaimekbee1219
    jaimekbee1219 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I don't know how much we go back to normal, but from everything I have read over the last 10 years (I was diagnosed in 2004 at 22) weight loss, exercise, and a healthy diet (eliminating processed foods, added sugar, and junk) should help alleviate the symptoms. It seems that the rule of thumb is losing 10% of our weight helps. This is the first time in awhile I've made a concerted effort to lost weight, exercise, and overhaul my diet - I can say definitely that the dark hair on my neck has lessened - I can go longer between trimming or shaving. Since I'm on the pill (since 2006) I don't know how regular my periods are or aren't... but I definitely feel better.

A friend of mine was actually misdiagnosed with PCOS after sudden weight gain had messed up her periods. Her hormone levels were off and her periods were inconsistent and horrible. She made some major diet and exercise changes and lost a ton of weight. Turns out her hormones hadn't been off enough to warrant a diagnosis (she got a second opinion), but I think that shows that extra weight can affect our hormones, and that even a small hiccup can affect our periods whether or not we have PCOS.
  • truddy6647
    truddy6647 Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    I have tried doing holistic treatment and traditional treatment..............what I learned from both providers is that if I am not on some type of treatment to keep my peroids regular I could easily develop cancer and am at higher risk...............my lining tends to build to extermly high amounts when not on something and often cause me to have to have d and c to fix the issue
  • Curlysasha
    Curlysasha Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I think when it comes to a cycle, your efforts may very well help. The same thing seems to have happened to me. About six months ago, I started what I've been calling "lowish carb, lower sugar" diet and I've gotten a period every other month since then. I've never had it so often in my LIFE, so something's changed. And it's very possible that the acne got a little better as well, except that the increase in periods has increased the hormone-related flare-ups, so now it's just annoying two weeks out of the month instead of all the time. What has NOT gotten better is the ability to lose weight (still a struggle) and the facial hair. That's just as thick and luxurious as ever.

Oh I am with you there with the acne and facial hair. I pluck EVERY day up to 4 times a day, my face is sore and looks so dry from all the plucking. I lost 90 lbs a few years ago and the symptoms were the same. I have had pcos since 1999 and it has gotten worse the older I get now (42 years old) I have a dark ridge at the back of my neck which is common with pcos and my neck never looks clean no matter how hard I scrub ... another trait of the condition.
    I feel like I will never be free from it and it rules and ruins my life.
    Will there ever be an answer? :sad: :sad: :sad:
  • CatShelton
    CatShelton Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Mine have gotten so much better in the last three months since I started with Shakeology! My secret weapon. I was just in my doctors office and my blood pressure is normal, pre-diabetes is gone, no burst cysts in 3 months, finally got a real period after 2 years, and I have more energy than I every have without caffeine. On top of that I lost 12 lbs (we all know how huge that is.) I still have about 45 more lbs to go!

I finally found something that works and I am so happy. Shakeology + Low GI + Workouts = All my symptoms fading away. I am not sure the hair growth will subside anytime soon, I haven't heard anyone talk about that getting better, but for now I am so happy with my results.

Feel free to friend me. I love chatting with my Cyst-ers.

Cat