22 weeks between Half and Full

Options
I want to start by thanking SonicDeathMonkey80, as well as the moderators of this board for all of the excellent information, advice, and links which is helping me to run smarter. I have been running for a year, but I had been haphazard about it, and it resulted in injuries. So forgive my newbie questions, I just want to be smarter about what I am doing.

I have 22 weeks between my half marathon this spring and my full marathon in the fall. What would be the best approach for continued training after the half to help ensure peak performance and minimize potential for injury? Should I continue the Hal Higdon Novice 1 plan through to the end, take a deload week, and start another program with appropriate mileage? Should I just shoot for maintaining 30-35 mpw for a month and then start another 18 week training program (If I do, do I start it from the beginning and reduce weekly mileage or start at a point where my weekly mileage is at?).

Replies

• CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    What is the highest mileage week you will complete in your HM training program?
  • KeithAngilly
    KeithAngilly Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I use a different plan, but when I go to the next race, I just start at the beginning mileage. It helps me to reduce overall volume and ramp things back up again over time.
  • PrairieRunner2015
    PrairieRunner2015 Posts: 126 Member
    Options

The highest mileage week will be 24 miles.
  • ATT949
    ATT949 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options

I've been running at about that level for a couple of years and I've dropped my HM pace by over 90 seconds.

But, running a Full on 24 miles a week. Not for this kid. I love a challenge (I did this after training for 10 weeks - https://spotwalla.com/tripViewer.php?id=367c4e4e87ed45c19) but I'd never try a Full on 24/week.
  • CarsonRuns
    Options

After the HM, I would drop back for a week to about 12 to 15 miles, then move back up to low 20s and start to gradually build on that. Go up by 10% for 2 weeks, drop back for a week, then increase again. In my opinion, you should max at no lower than 45 miles per week for marathon training. I think 60 miles per week is even better, but I realize many people don't have the time, nor the desire to run that much. So, something like this, starting after the HM.

Marathon fitness is a culmination of ALL your mileage, not just what you do in your long run. The more miles you can run total, the better prepared you will be.
  • PrairieRunner2015
    Options

After the HM, I would drop back for a week to about 12 to 15 miles, then move back up to low 20s and start to gradually build on that. Go up by 10% for 2 weeks, drop back for a week, then increase again. In my opinion, you should max at no lower than 45 miles per week for marathon training. I think 60 miles per week is even better, but I realize many people don't have the time, nor the desire to run that much. So, something like this, starting after the HM.

Marathon fitness is a culmination of ALL your mileage, not just what you do in your long run. The more miles you can run total, the better prepared you will be.

Thank you very much! I've printed this off and am going to make a schedule based on the miles. I have a lot of time on my hands so putting in miles normally isn't an issue (Sometimes work will get in the way if a big issue pops up.).

I'll know more about how the training schedule will have an affect on everything once I get there. If upping mileage is within reason, I will try to continue to up mileage to at least 45 mpw.
  • PrairieRunner2015
    Options

I've been running at about that level for a couple of years and I've dropped my HM pace by over 90 seconds.

But, running a Full on 24 miles a week. Not for this kid. I love a challenge (I did this after training for 10 weeks - https://spotwalla.com/tripViewer.php?id=367c4e4e87ed45c19) but I'd never try a Full on 24/week.

That's the highest mileage week for the Half Marathon I'm going to run on May 4th. I am planning on running many more miles/week and will try to follow CarsonRuns advice to do my best to get to at least 45MPW, which I believe is reasonable considering I have 18/19 weeks (Taking in consideration for de-load after half and tapering for the full. 22 weeks total time between half and full.) to get to those miles.
  • amandalj
    amandalj Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I use a different plan, but when I go to the next race, I just start at the beginning mileage. It helps me to reduce overall volume and ramp things back up again over time.

Ditto - I find this helps keep me injury free, and gives me a little breather before picking back up in mileage.
  • PrairieRunner2015
    Options
    I'm taking suggestions from all and will see how I can implement them into a training program. I appreciate the advice and I will post the schedule I come up with.
  • PrairieRunner2015
    Options
    How does this schedule look? It's based on another schedule I found I think I may want to ramp the mileage up a little more slowly after Week 9. This is the first schedule I've attempted to make on my own. I removed the pace runs from the original schedule. Since this is going to be my first marathon, I want to make sure I get to the starting line to begin with, and I am also able to get to the finish line as well.

Week Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat Sun
    1 Cross 3 m run 5 m run 3 m run Rest 5 m run 8
    2 Cross 3 m run 5 m run 3 m run Rest 5 m run 9
    3 Cross 3 m run 5 m run 3 m run Rest 5 m run 6
    4 Cross 3 m run 6 m run 3 m run Rest 6 m run 11
    5 Cross 3 m run 6 m run 3 m run Rest 6 m run 12
    6 Cross 3 m run 5 m run 3 m run Rest 6 m run 9
    7 Cross 4 m run 7 m run 4 m run Rest 7 m run 14
    8 Cross 4 m run 7 m run 4 m run Rest 7 m run 15
    9 Cross 4 m run 5 m run 4 m run Rest Rest Half Marathon
    10 Cross 4 m run 8 m run 4 m run Rest 8 m run 17
    11 Cross 5 m run 8 m run 5 m run Rest 8 m run 18
    12 Cross 5 m run 5 m run 5 m run Rest 8 m run 13
    13 Cross 5 m run 8 m run 5 m run Rest 5 m run 20
    14 Cross 5 m run 5 m run 5 m run Rest 8 m run 12
    15 Cross 5 m run 8 m run 5 m run Rest 5 m run 20
    16 Cross 5 m run 6 m run 5 m run Rest 4 m run 12
    17 Cross 6 m run 8 m run 6 m run Rest 5 m run 20
    18 Cross 5 m run 5 m run 5 m run Rest 8 m run 12
    19 Cross 6 m run 8 m run 6 m run Rest 5 m run 20
    20 Cross 4 m run 5 m run 4 m run Rest 3 m run 8
    21 Cross 4 m run 5 m run 4 m run Rest 3 m run 8
    22 Cross 3 m run 4 m run Rest Rest 2 m run Marathon
  • CarsonRuns
    Options
    A couple of quick observations.

I think you hit the first 20 too soon and I don't think you need to do 4 of them.
    17 the week after the HM might be a little too much. Maybe do 12 that weekend. Like, 12, 15, 16, 18 or something.
    I think two consecutive days rest prior to the HM is too much. I'd rest on Friday, do a very easy 3 the day before.
    I'd prefer to see a little more mileage during the week. The long run is approaching 50% of total weekly mileage. 1/3 is a better target.
    On week 20, I'd go a long run of 12 to 16 miles instead of 8. I think that's too early to taper that much.
  • PrairieRunner2015
    Options
    A couple of quick observations.

I think you hit the first 20 too soon and I don't think you need to do 4 of them.
    17 the week after the HM might be a little too much. Maybe do 12 that weekend. Like, 12, 15, 16, 18 or something.
    I think two consecutive days rest prior to the HM is too much. I'd rest on Friday, do a very easy 3 the day before.
    I'd prefer to see a little more mileage during the week. The long run is approaching 50% of total weekly mileage. 1/3 is a better target.
    On week 20, I'd go a long run of 12 to 16 miles instead of 8. I think that's too early to taper that much.

Thank you for the response. Others have said the same about upping the mileage on my mid week runs as well and I will adjust and post the changes a little later.
  • PrairieRunner2015
    Options
    I changed it to 6 days a week of running, as well as added some mileage to the other runs to try to keep the % of miles for the long run down. I reduced the 20 mile runs to 2, as well as reduced the taper as suggested. Does this look a little better? I thought there was too big of an increase after the half on the original plan.

4 1m run 3 m run 6 m run 3 m run Rest 6 m run 11
    5 1m run 3 m run 6 m run 3 m run Rest 6 m run 12
    7 2m run 4 m run 7 m run 4 m run Rest 7 m run 14
    8 2m run 4 m run 7 m run 4 m run Rest 7 m run 15
    9 Cross 4 m run 5 m run 4 m run Rest 3 m easy Half Marathon
    10 Cross 5 m run 9 m run 4 m run Rest 8 m run 15
    11 2m run 6 m run 9 m run 5 m run Rest 8 m run 16
    12 3m run 5 m run 7 m run 5 m run Rest 7 m run 12
    13 3m run 6 m run 9 m run 6 m run Rest 8 m run 17
    14 5m run 6 m run 10 m run 6 m run Rest 8 m run 18
    15 2m run 6 m run 8 m run 6 m run Rest 7 m run 13
    16 5m run 7 m run 11 m run 7 m run Rest 8 m run 19
    17 5m run 7 m run 12 m run 7 m run Rest 5 m run 20
    18 3m run 5 m run 7 m run 5 m run Rest 7 m run 12
    19 5m run 7 m run 12 m run 7 m run Rest 8 m run 20
    20 3m run 5 m run 7 m run 5 m run Rest 7 m run 12
    21 1m run 4 m run 5 m run 4 m run Rest 3 m run 8
  • AsellusReborn
    AsellusReborn Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    Scoping out this thread as I am looking at a similar issue. I am running Chicago in October, just did my goal half 2 weeks ago and now have a whole lot of time in between. I did 12MPW last week (Plan was 17, but the half was really hilly and my legs weren't as recovered as I thought). Planning 17-19 this week and then going to hang in the low 20s for a few weeks before I start gradually cycling upwards.
  • pobalita
    pobalita Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    I changed it to 6 days a week of running, as well as added some mileage to the other runs to try to keep the % of miles for the long run down. I reduced the 20 mile runs to 2, as well as reduced the taper as suggested. Does this look a little better? I thought there was too big of an increase after the half on the original plan.

4 1m run 3 m run 6 m run 3 m run Rest 6 m run 11
    5 1m run 3 m run 6 m run 3 m run Rest 6 m run 12
    7 2m run 4 m run 7 m run 4 m run Rest 7 m run 14
    8 2m run 4 m run 7 m run 4 m run Rest 7 m run 15
    9 Cross 4 m run 5 m run 4 m run Rest 3 m easy Half Marathon
    10 Cross 5 m run 9 m run 4 m run Rest 8 m run 15
    11 2m run 6 m run 9 m run 5 m run Rest 8 m run 16
    12 3m run 5 m run 7 m run 5 m run Rest 7 m run 12
    13 3m run 6 m run 9 m run 6 m run Rest 8 m run 17
    14 5m run 6 m run 10 m run 6 m run Rest 8 m run 18
    15 2m run 6 m run 8 m run 6 m run Rest 7 m run 13
    16 5m run 7 m run 11 m run 7 m run Rest 8 m run 19
    17 5m run 7 m run 12 m run 7 m run Rest 5 m run 20
    18 3m run 5 m run 7 m run 5 m run Rest 7 m run 12
    19 5m run 7 m run 12 m run 7 m run Rest 8 m run 20
    20 3m run 5 m run 7 m run 5 m run Rest 7 m run 12
    21 1m run 4 m run 5 m run 4 m run Rest 3 m run 8

I'm kind of in a similar situation to you. I'm running halfs whenever I feel like it and putting in about 20 to 25 miles per week right now. I start training for my second marathon (Chicago) in a few weeks.

You have "only" one year of running under your belt and are going straight from your first half to your first marathon without spending some time at the half marathon level for a while and building your fitness base more. My comments are based on the fact that I took a similar path to marathon.

1. Six days per week of running may prove to be too much. You might burn out, and you risk injury by not allowing your muscles to recover. Remember that rest and recovery, not just mileage, are part of the program. I somewhat ignored this and ended up with my pace actually getting slower.

2; The 19, 20, and 20 miles are could be too close together without enough time for recovery. If this were my plan, I'd consider dropping week 16 and going for a 21 week plan. I found that, as a new marathoner, I had trouble recovering from the long runs before it was time for the next one. The last thing you want to do is start your marathon with an overuse injury.

I plan to keep up my current mileage and just enjoy where I'm at right now by running a couple more halfs and some other fun runs. Then I'm starting Higdon's intermediate1 at 18 weeks out from Chicago (same weekend as your marathon). That plan looks pretty do-able with 5 days per week and reasonable mileage. I used the Novice 1 plan for my first marathon.